Primary school teaching at Usyd or ACU? (1 Viewer)

mareeahh2166

HSC
I am stuck between choosing one or the another.. I know that i would like to teach overseas and that Usyd's degree is internationally recognised but what about ACU? Any comments from current students at either unis would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
USYD definitely better, although you may like the catholic community of ACU.

But i'd definitely be going to USYD unless you are planning to teach at a catholic school.

mareeahh2166

HSC
Teaching overseas

I am very keen on studying the bachelor of Education (primary) course as i am impressed with the renowed reputation ACU has for its teaching courses. I intend to teach overseas though and would like to know if this degree is internationally recognised? Does ACU's degree offer TESOL?

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Andi0390

HSC
Re: Teaching overseas

I believe its not so much the 'degree' thats recognised, more the being registered as an Australian teacher. I was looking at studying education in New Zealand and then coming back to Australia, or even going over to Europe, after my degree. They informed me that it was not a problem with the qualification crossing over but there is a certain probationary period that must be fulfilled in the country where you received your degree (maybe two years teaching?). I would imagine that Australia is similar, ie. you do your course, teach for the period of time then you are a fully registered/qualified teacher and are able to work in countries that accept this qualification. What I was asking after was Secondary education though - so maybe look into Primary some more.

Another point, all qualifications in Australia, while some carrying more "prestige" than others, are the same. All universities (to my knowledge) have to teach to certain guidelines that validate an Australian degree. So whether you were to do something at ACU or USYD the qualification would be worth the same - although there obviously may be difference in lecturer quality, subjects etc.

I believe you can get those certificates for teaching English all around - my mother was looking at doing something like that in a weekend course for around $500. You can always do that if you want.

Good luck.

melodic_gal

HSC
I am stuck between choosing one or the another.. I know that i would like to teach overseas and that Usyd's degree is internationally recognised but what about ACU? Any comments from current students at either unis would be greatly appreciated.

well i believe acu has a better selection in primary teaching versus usyd. the difference is usyd has bachelor of education primary - 4 years. where as ACU has two different primary degrees Bachelor of Edcation primary- 4 years and Bachelor of Education Early Childhood and Primary is 4 years (this degree when you finish your course and recieve two degrees which enables you to teach/focus on birth to grade 6)

I love it at ACU the classes are smaller, very practical hands on, you get sent on work placement (prac) on your first year to 4 year, the teachers are very helpful and caring, they guide you through the course, assessment, prac. students (and I) AND just because its Australia Catholic University the classes/lessons are not Catholic Teaching! a lot of us are being sent to mainstream childcare/primary schools. BUT if you choose to teach in Catholic school that is an option as well

I hope this helps good luck :)

Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) - ACU National (Australian Catholic University) of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)

Bachelor of Education (Primary) - ACU National (Australian Catholic University) of Education (Primary)

Last edited:

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
would you argue its pronounced boxtel or toxtel or foxtel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)