private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rumour
What about the other people at your school, the people with no money?

they go to their local library or the state, anyway I dont borrow from the school library. There aren't any good books there anyway.

Originally posted by snapperhead
Just a quick thought/question. Selective government schools. They are almost as elitist as "private schools" are they not??

elitist as in instead of the selection of students from more affluent they skim the cream off the government schools?

*stirs pot some more

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Elite as in it isnt open to everyone like public education should be.........
Elite as in its as selective if not more selective than "private education"??

*keeps stirring the pot*

BTW. Silver Rose...You really shouldnt generalise about non-govt school students and their socio-economic status. If you were to look at the average Western Suburbs Catholic School student (for example), they *usually* come from working class families who have exercised their right to choice.
At my soon to be school (Anglican grammar school), over 50% of the students are scholarship students...
What I think is the problem here is your/everyones defn. of "private" schooling (which is why I put in the " ")
Just some more food for thought......

Silver Rose

Yeah... sorry people *looks sheepish* I've always been touchy when it comes to the private school issue. I think it must be my parents influence on me, they're ALWAYS going on about it.

One thing I know I'm seeing straight on, though, is that selective schools are NOT elitist. You get in on your merits and you stay in depending on the work you do, it has nothing to do with money or race or religion or whatnot. Actually, there's a LOT of Asians at my school, but that's only because they often work harder than others! :p (I know, another generalisation, but it seems to be true GENERALLY! ;))

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Silver Rose
One thing I know I'm seeing straight on, though, is that selective schools are NOT elitist. You get in on your merits and you stay in depending on the work you do, it has nothing to do with money or race or religion or whatnot.
I think you may have misunderstood what I was alluding to..... My question was: are selective schools "typical" public schools (ie state funded education available to all no matter what your socio-economic status or academic ability) or are they 'elitist' in the fact that they only let a small number of students actually attend them (ie the "best of the best")?

Again, just some more food for thought..

Mojo_Jojo

I diagree that 'asians' (dislike using that term but have to for the argument's sake) get in because they work harder. We had kids who got into my selective school because they studied for the entrance test and ONLY the entrance test and then bombed out because they just couldn't cope with the actual work.

rumour

HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
they go to their local library or the state, anyway I dont borrow from the school library. There aren't any good books there anyway.
Well if you paid your fees, then maybe they could buy better books!!!!!!!!

kochou

Originally posted by Mojo_Jojo
I diagree that 'asians' (dislike using that term but have to for the argument's sake) get in because they work harder. We had kids who got into my selective school because they studied for the entrance test and ONLY the entrance test and then bombed out because they just couldn't cope with the actual work.
i didn't know anyone who studied for the selective entrance thing in my days

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rumour
Well if you paid your fees, then maybe they could buy better books!!!!!!!!

i dont think the school spend my school fees on books...rather the overall appearance....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Who cares what school you go to ? If you are a dumb fuck or a retard that doesnt put in the effort you aint going to go anywhere. Geez.....

loucee

what are u talking about????

*girl04* said:
but like whats the point of going to a 30,000 one a year? coz half the kids there probably do have parents only earning 100,000 a year and just sending them there for the sake of it u know, thats prob all they have thye probably dont get lotsa holidays n expensive things. so if u can find one that cost 100,000's or maybe dont take it that far just say like 100,000 how seriously cool would it be
dude i seriously dont get u either? parents send their kids to a school cause it's what they want for their kids and it's what the think will be best for them, not because they pay the highest school fee's in the country so somehow that makes them better than those who pay $300 a year?
i also know that those parents who send their kids to kings send them their cause it's a bloody good school! i know that a lot of those parents are not well off at all, and some of them sometimes even take out a second mortage so they are able to afford their kids school fees. a lot of the kids from kings are country boys, and in australia's current situation with the drought and all, i doubt their parents are making a hell of a lot of money.
so i dunno where u got this idea that $30000 a year isnt a lot of money? for some parents it's everything and they choose to send their kids there regardless of the cost because they believe that it's a good school.
by the way i dont go to kings and neither does my brother or anything. i jst go to a private catholic school in sydney. and no it's not one of the most expensive!
i just dont get your argument?????

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
I think public schools are doing damn well considering they don't get as much mullah from stupid John Howard, and the extra bonus private schools get from their fees. Go public schools!!

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
...but they put me in the school because it is a better teaching atmosphere, it is a girls' school, i learn in a Religious atmosphere and it is a "better" school community all up. It has nothing to do with money... if it did, then i would've gone to the public school two minutes walk away from my house. My parents care about my education and want me to grow up with the best education (not necessarily selective school education, you know), and after attending a public, average, co-educational high school last week for a day...
QUOTE]

Oh cos a day at a public school is gunna do it, I'm glad that you now know what a public school atmosphere is....watever! As for the money situation, obviously they CAN afford it, if that is where you are going.And a BETTER RELIGIOUS ATMOSPHERE...that has nothing to do with education. People at a public school can go to SUnday school....that would provide a great religious atmosphere, and many people aren't religious in the first place. Are you saying that only religous people can go to private schools?Plus, co-education teaches kids how to interact with the opposite sex, and I'm not saying that people who go to an all girls school don't know how to treat the oppostie sex, but, the 'atmosphere' at co-ed schools are fine. The teachers ARE FINE.

okay, I've had my whinge for the day....

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Catholic schools are shit. I've done both and I hate the namby pamby air about a catholic school- a lot of people seriously think they're morally and academically superior to everyone else and its total bullshit.

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
is this thread intended to piss people off?!...fuck i've never read anything so stereotyped and generalised...private or public who really gives a shit and screw u all who bag out public skools...i had a choice and chose public and my skool was the best...got heaps of frends from private as well and frankly the whole thing is not an issue

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
i couldn't be fucked reading through this whole thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. has anyone seen that ad where they compare a catholic school and a private school and they say the public school 'reveices this much more funding', and it's an astronomical amount more than what the public school gets? well, what they didn't say there was, that the schools receive this much FEDERAL funding, while failing to mention the STATE funding each school gets, in which public always far exceeds private. and even when state and federal funding are added together, public schools get approximately twice as much.

i saw it done again in my local newspaper, and frankly, that pisses me off. that is blatent sensationalisation and distortion of facts. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying public schools don't need more funding, they probably do. but you'd think that the people campaigning for public school funding would have intentions to improve schooling in this country as a whole, rather than maipulate facts and deceive people, stirring up animosity between public and private people. i mean, are they trying to make it into a war? do they want to develop "us against them" mentalities between public and private people?

Last edited:

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
steph@nie said:
Catholic schools are shit. I've done both and I hate the namby pamby air about a catholic school- a lot of people seriously think they're morally and academically superior to everyone else and its total bullshit.
yeah but it's relative. you get dickheads at public schools aswell, just different types of dickheads. and then at the same time you get great people at public schools, along with private schools.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
why does it have to be a private catholic?
why not priv in general?
i feel excluded from the rants :(

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
actually its systemic and non-systemic....the term "independant" is usually reserved for the non-catholic, non-government schools but it is easier to lump everyone into the one category.... which is why I usually use "private" in my posts....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)