Private Schools? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maths94

HSC
What is the point of private schools, in the 2008 school rankings, 8 of the top 10 rankings went to government/public schools. Also fair enough private schools are good at times, but i see private schools ranked 300. and 400. These kids pay much more money than government kids do and there marks are not really showing for what they pay. So in the end what is the point if private schools if they do not go well academically?

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
What is the point of private schools, in the 2008 school rankings, 8 of the top 10 rankings went to government schools. Also fair enough private schools are good at times, but i see private schools ranked 300. and 400. These kids pay much more money than government kids do and there marks are not really showing for what they pay. So in the end what is the point if private schools if they do not go well academically?
its where rich snobs hang out with their blazers

HSC
well i know personally i dont want my kids at a public school. but thats just me.

johony

HSC
i'd send my kids to a private school if i were living in a bad area, or my kids weren't good enough to go to a selective school.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The private vs puiblic debate is such a load of shit and is based around stereotypes, not fact.

I get mouthed by people all the time just for being in my uniform, because I'm a 'snob'. Is that not snobbery itself? I don't see private school kids doing blockies and mouthing passing public school-goers.

In the end we're all kids and we like having fun and we do all the same stuff. You get the odd Ja'mie King type but they tend to be a bit outcast anyway (at least at my school).

Public schools and private schools are good and bad for lots of different reasons.

If anything the argument should be about the effects that your place of education have after graduation (e.g. in the UK only 7% of students attend private schools but they account for 40% of the intake at Oxbridge), and how thats unfair, not the education itself.

Lukybear

HSC
I would assume that your money will get you better facilities. Look at Kings and Scotts. But that being said, there are some private anglican/catholic schools with mediocre equipment, and is just parrallel to a normal public school. In that case, the assumption is a better installation of religious affliations into the education.

jules.09

HSC
State selective, preferably, but state schools are fine, e.g. Strathfield Girls, Homebush Boys and Burwood Girls.

Generally speaking, private schools boast great resources etc, but it's the state schools that dominate the HSC ranks, academically speaking. All state schools, regardless of whether its selective or not, have lots of government funding issues, I know my school does. We have outdated textbooks etc, but as a cohort we strive to do well and we do.. so it's not about what kind of material benefit you have from school but it's what you put in, i.e. good work ethic.

This being said, the only decent private school seems to be Sydney Grammar, haha.

insideout

HSC
State selective, preferably, but state schools are fine, e.g. Strathfield Girls, Homebush Boys and Burwood Girls.

Generally speaking, private schools boast great resources etc, but it's the state schools that dominate the HSC ranks, academically speaking. All state schools, regardless of whether its selective or not, have lots of government funding issues, I know my school does. We have outdated textbooks etc, but as a cohort we strive to do well and we do.. so it's not about what kind of material benefit you have from school but it's what you put in, i.e. good work ethic.

This being said, the only decent private school seems to be Sydney Grammar, haha.
I agree completely- as my dad always told me "if you put in the spadework you will get the results" it doesnt matter how much money you have etc like if you send your kids to a private school, its the work you put into it.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
What is the point of private schools, in the 2008 school rankings, 8 of the top 10 rankings went to government/public schools. Also fair enough private schools are good at times, but i see private schools ranked 300. and 400. These kids pay much more money than government kids do and there marks are not really showing for what they pay. So in the end what is the point if private schools if they do not go well academically?
Thank you that said it.
Also, better money does not necessarily mean better marks.
But it may secure you a spot out of your ghetto neighbourhood of a school as others say.
I just like seeing the faces of people who attended tutoring classes regularly during the HSC when they find out my results were better than theirs.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The whole public vs private school thing is quite endless - people will always hold prejudices based on how they were brought up. Different people have different tastes - both sides of the spectrum will enumerate on their pros, whilst highlighting the other side's cons - at the end of the day, it really doesn't make a difference. I've been to both public and private schools - there really is no difference.

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
private schools are elite

get over it.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'd send my kids to a private school if they didn't make it into a selective and only if the private school usually ranked higher than the public school.

Otherwise they'd be sent to the public school.

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
Really depends on the area. Some public schools are terrible, others smash it up academically.

Miz Janani

HSC
I'd send my kids to a public school.
Although a private school might have better resources, i think it all relies on how much effort the child is willing to put in.

I go to a public school and i think that they tend to teach and help the child gain important life skills. But thats just my opinion...

Moneyequalmarks

HSC
I'd send my kids to a public school.
Although a private school might have better resources, i think it all relies on how much effort the child is willing to put in.

I go to a public school and i think that they tend to teach and help the child gain important life skills. But thats just my opinion...
the key difference between private and public is that those who attend private schools have moneyand therfore potential in life...there are of course other differences such as the core skills taught in public schools being ideal shanking technique and drug street values while private school lean more towards being good at life in general but the choice is yours (not really its only a matter of your socioeconomic status)

shady145

Banned
HSC
the key difference between private and public is that those who attend private schools have moneyand therfore potential in life...there are of course other differences such as the core skills taught in public schools being ideal shanking technique and drug street values while private school lean more towards being good at life in general but the choice is yours (not really its only a matter of your socioeconomic status)
your right, just like Isaac Newton who was living on on a farm, born prematurely, was poor, he never ammounted to shit, nothing worthwhile. he went to what was a public school at that time, got rejected by his mother at the age of 12 but you know, he wasnt great or anything so it doent matter. he didnt change physics and mathematics.
:music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)