PROBLEM! stay at usyd or uts?! (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hey guys, i need your opinions

some of youse may already know, but i was offered a schloarship at uts for engineering - but i called them up and rejected the offer and said 'sorry, i've accepted an offer at usyd'

and they left me alone for 2 months, until today..

but im currently enrolled at usyd, doing mechatronics there
i got a letter from uts today, and they are offering me a further $200p.a. if i ditch usyd and join uts

what should i do?!

if i go to uts, i get money and everything, and after i graduate, i have to work for the company that is offering me the scholarship - but usyd will not refund my $577 money for the union things..

what would u do?

Collin

HSC
N/A
So you've got a solid obligation to work for the designated company?

In that case, I would reject the scholarship, regardless of the current lucrativity it may seem. I rarely stick myself into these kind of long term attachments, incase my mind winds down to alternative career decisions.

Also because us BoS comrades will lose you as a Usyd member.. *sniff*

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
man but i dunno man
its alot of money man -

but yeah - its not the uni that wants me, its the company that wants me - but for some ludacris reason, they want me to study at uts rather than usyd

:confused:

but yeah - i wouldnt have to work for them all my life - i would have to sign a contract with them and stuff

and all workplacement and crap has to be done at their company as well...

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
I reckon if u have the scholarship and a SECURED job, then u shud go to UTS...since i reckon Engineering does not seem to have many jobs...my Physics tutor, he was an engineer before n he used to have contract jobs every time, later he had to change his career to teaching since it is more secure...and he is pretty happy with it...and since they are offering u money as well...so who cares about the USYD one...u'd get more than that 577 in a couple of months...

it's really worth it...This is what i think...the decision is yours :)

Good Luck :)

and yeah...as JKDDragon said...we'd lose a USYD member :(

Last edited:

suz

HSC
I would go for UTS, it's a fantastic opportunity that puts you ahead of so many other people doing the same course than you, plus the money is an added bonus lol

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
ah man, this is soOoO hard for me man

i've always wanted to get into usyd, always wanted to go since i was like 10cm tall, and now that i got it and got settled with the o-days and timetable and everything, i get offered something from uts again!

and everyone i've spoken to was like 'the money isnt anything. stop thinking bout the money. with a usyd certificate, you can earn double the amt of your scharship in ur first year...'

i have until 1st march till decide...

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
and, (sorry for the serial posting), but i would be tied down to one compnay and someone also suggested that i would most probably get crap pay afterwards ... and some crazy people say that coz of my scharship, they might not even pay me at all!!

LOL :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Think about the long-term prospections:

You'll obviously make more money in the next few years, and you'll end up with an Engineering degree with both universities.

However, the University of Sydney engineering degrees are more prized by employers than the UTS counterparts. So if you go to UTS, after your contract ends.. you'll have a bit of money.. a degree you could of got with USYD, but that will be it. Personally, I think a SYD degree will get you further, financially also, in the long term. This really just comes down to the take the money now and suffer a bit later, or deal with the slag now and get rewarded long term dilemma.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
another issue someone raised - i would have to sign a contract with the compnay NOW, that means they already decided my future and everything

i mean, what happens if i dont want to do engineering anymore in like 5 years time? then im screwed and left doing something that i might loath..

AaaHhH!! KILL ME NOW!!!

Winston

HSC
look think of it this way... if u go to UTS.. ur gonna be in a ugly building but if u go to USYD... ull get ONE free donut per year from me :p... :D HA! u decide... i know it's tempting my offer ;) wayeee better than UTS's :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
if u really think that u want to b a mechatronics engineer in 5 years time- go to UTS....bcoz u're guaranteed a job...thats soo good.

u see once u finished ya first job, employers wouldn't care where u got your degree from, it bcomes useless basically...as experience is whats really important. so make sure u read the fine print, and work out for how long u gotta work wif the company for and stuff.

btw, how did u get this scholarship- is this the "women in engineering" scholarship?

but yeah, in the end do what u feel thats best for u!!

goodluck wif ur decision. :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tooheyz
another issue someone raised - i would have to sign a contract with the compnay NOW, that means they already decided my future and everything

i mean, what happens if i dont want to do engineering anymore in like 5 years time? then im screwed and left doing something that i might loath..

AaaHhH!! KILL ME NOW!!!
That's exactly what I was getting at. They're prompting you with these obligations NOW, where they take into possessive effect in 5 years time, where you could be well over your career interests now.

Very big risk to take, Myer :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
That's exactly what I was getting at. They're prompting you with these obligations NOW, where they take into possessive effect in 5 years time, where you could be well over your career interests now.

yep true that- so u gotta b sure, that u want to b a mechatronics engineer in 5 years time..if ur sure...then the UTS package is the way to go!!!

btw, i think ur asking this question in the wrong part of the forums, coz obviously ppl. are gonna b biased and r gonna tell u to stay at USYD. :D

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
btw, how did u get this scholarship- is this the "women in engineering" scholarship?
no i just applied - through a form and through an interview and i was successful. i went through the normal process as all the guys did, so there was no real special treatment for me.

i would kill u for calling me myer - but i got too many things on my mind! so ur lucky :p

yeah i know - and offering me more money is kinda making it hard for me man - and the job and stuff - im going to speak to the careers place at usyd and stuff

Originally posted by freaking_out
btw, i think ur asking this question in the wrong part of the forums, coz obviously ppl. are gonna b biased and r gonna tell u to stay at USYD. :D
yeah can the mods move it?!

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Eeekk!! man how can i sleep with such a decision to make
you watch man, i'm going to look like a zombie 2morrow.

Collin

HSC
N/A
They're boxing your options in Myer!

You know it, I know it.. we all know it's a huge risk, Myer.

5 years, that's a long time. Personally, I don't think the cash is worth the long time restrictionary obligations you'll have to adhere by if you sign up to this pseudo-attractive deal.

UTS is evil I tell ya.. EVEELLLLL!!

Don't let them box your future options in.

Choose smart.

Choose Usyd.

Plus you get a free donut from Winston per annum.. how could any reasonably intelligent person reject such a offer?

Just think about it.. that seductively tasty layer of chocolate covering the top of the donut.. or if Winston is poor.. just a layer of ordinary sugar, lol.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
They're boxing your options in Myer!

You know it, I know it.. we all know it's a huge risk, Myer.

5 years, that's a long time. Personally, I don't think the cash is worth the long time restrictionary obligations you'll have to adhere by if you sign up to this pseudo-attractive deal.

UTS is evil I tell ya.. EVEELLLLL!!

Don't let them box your future options in.

Choose smart.

Choose Usyd.

you sound like a freaking advert some tv or something!! and stop calling me MYER!!!

i'll bash you up if you call me that one more time with my oversized biceps :D

i dont know - its just a real big bombshell that hit me you know - i think i just have to think about it and everything else

why cant they just sponsor me at usyd and just for my course?!
damn crazy compnay. pppsft/

Collin

HSC
N/A
Could someone just obliterate the company so this could end? :rofl:

Your biceps just make me quiver in absolute fear, almighty female Schwarzeneggar.

MYERRRrrrrrr.. *runs away*

lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)