Problems in our E2 cohort. (1 Viewer)

MichaelRoberts

HSC
Hello!
I just thought I'd share what's going on in our E2 group (theres 13 of us in total, in two classes)

Because of timetabling difficulties (nearly all of us do 12 units plus) there is a group that are 'on-line', (ie in our timetable) and the other one, which 8 of us are in is after school every second monday.

There are certain people in my class who are fairly unhappy with our teachers, and we had class for the first time in almost three months today.

When we were handed back our Viva voche marks, it was commented that our marks were lower than those on-line, and this could be contributed to the fact that we havent had class and the support that the others have had.

Sparks did fly, when they told us our drafts weren't where they should be, and that we 'weren't submitting enough work for marking', when the reality is it could take weeks to get our work back, and replys to our emails. It's also hard to grab our teachers - one works part time and the other is the Head of Department. This is also meant our one-on-one appointments in our limited frees often get bumped back :burn:

One girl had had enough when we were told we had to hurry up and finished 'our little scripts', to which she responded 'that's very patronising', even though our teacher said she was joking.

It ended up in us quite stressed, and our teachers leaving us for about 10 minutes so we could all gather ourselves togehter.

I'm quite stuck as what to do. Both of our teachers are nice people, may not be the best choise for E2, but want the best for us, yet I dont think is reasonable when we are stretched enough as it is with HSC.

Within our group as more time is spent bitching about our teachers, than drafting, and I think it's a awful habit some of our group have got into.

Anyways, If anyone is in a simular situation, or has any ideas how to improve this situation, please add!

Michael

Last edited:

monique66

Why not write a formal complaint addressed to the teachers, outlining your concerns? This will let you rationalise your thoughts on paper and give them an opportunity to make an assessment as to whether there has been a discrepency between the two groups.

Sorry, if that wasn't much help. Keep on working on your MW and you'll get there eventually. Good luck :)

HSC
N/A
Is it possible that the "on campus" (uni term, forgive me) students are able to have access to online resources?

If there's such a huge discrepancy in marks/treatment then I'd even consider making up a reason to transfer over to the 'online class' :)

MichaelRoberts

HSC
Im sorry,
I mean by the term "on the line" means it fits into the timetable, rather than has a major internet componenent.

Both classes have access to the group's e2 website, but unlike university, it is very limited and is supplementary to our actual physical classes.

Thanks to those who replyed!

pungemo

HSC
If you don't feel that you have a chance of changing the situation at school, have you considered getting a tutor to help work through any assessments and the general production process? Obviously this would cost money and getting the situation sorted at school is preferable, but if you really want to do well it may be highly beneficial. You would have to be careful about how involved your tutor may come in the production process so that it remains your work. Anyway, best of luck resolving the situation, sure is a tricky one.

J

jhakka

As far as the course goes, it is extremely individual. You're pretty much left to do your own thing with the teacher as a guide and facilitator, using assessment, draft and journal checks, etc. to make sure you're still on track.

The situation sucks, but it is a situation that the students need to take care of. As Lynn (glitterfariy) suggested, perhaps try and transfer into the online group. Perhaps talk to the teacher about a change of time and/or venue. When I did the course, we had 7:30am classes on a Tuesday morning. Admittedly not everyone came to these, but it was all personal choice in a highly individual-based course.

pungemo

HSC
True. All we do with our class is have personal one-on-one meetings every couple of weeks to check progress. Whenever there's an assessment coming up we have a lunch-time meeting to run through all the requirements and such.

Tom BMGS

HSC
That being said...
They're both terrible teachers. I won't mince words as Michael tends to. They can't write, they don't know the syllabus, and they don't connect with the students in our class on a one-on-one level. In fact, most of the people in the class have said at one stage or another that the teachers don't understand them. I haven't had that problem, but that's because my story's fairly straightfoward and I probably won't score too high for it as it is. :bomb:
It was quite rightly said before that this is an individual subject...An individual project tends to be, yes...But SOME guidance, from someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT, would be good.
It's an incredibly frustrating situation.

pungemo

HSC
I think your best option is definately to approach the teachers with a general class concern. If this cannot achieve anything then you could take it to the head of faculty (assuming they're not one of the ee2 teachers), or perhaps even the principle. It's your HSC if you think you're going to suffer don't take it lying down. But also remember that you should always address your problems with the person responsible first, wouldn't want to be seen as going over their heads.

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
It would be noble to hand in a formal complaint, or approach your teachers/supervisors with a general class concern, but the bottom line is that you have to hand in your assessments on time in accordance with Board of Studies procedure. They are resolute and particularly uncompromising in disputes. I know you're talking about the almost apathy from the powers-that-be, but time is precious in these instances.

daniel.graham

Artiste Extraordinaire
HSC
Wow. I can't believe you people have CLASSES for E2. At my school its such a one-on-one thing with your teacher - no timetabled meetings, nothing needing submission unless its for assessments, etc - that its actually quite difficult keeping track of people who still even do E2.

fallen-angel

HSC
Oh i feel for you but i have a rather large school screw up myself...

OUR SCHOOL TOLD US THE WRONG DATE. they said it was mon 28th Aug......we found out yesterday when the BOS faxed papers thru that is is 2 moro.....

we were removed from classes today but still......i am majorly stressed and my journal has gone to the dogs.

Cat_Orange

HSC
fallen-angel said:
OUR SCHOOL TOLD US THE WRONG DATE. they said it was mon 28th Aug......we found out yesterday when the BOS faxed papers thru that is is 2 moro.....
If it was due on my 18th birthday (August 28th) I would've been annoyed. Very annoyed.

I sympathise with you for your plight. That'd be a kick in the guts. But no doubt you'll get something in that's pretty damn good. I doubt you'd be doing ee2, otherwise.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Well we didn't have a teacher for E2 because she had an accident. Which meant that we were on our own. Luckily, our class stopped bitching about it and worked together. I also have to thank Kami for helping me with E2 throughout the year. I'm so glad this is all over :)

luke2010

HSC
fallen-angel said:
Oh i feel for you but i have a rather large school screw up myself...

we were removed from classes today but still......i am majorly stressed and my journal has gone to the dogs.
Yes well life really sucks for you fallen angel OH WAIT I'M IN YOUR CLASS. OH WAIT I WORKED ALL DAY TODAY ALSO. OH WAIT THE TEACHER IS LOOKING AT YOUR WORK FIRST NOT MINE. BAH ONLY at our school

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Wow..... Just fucking wow.

I really feel for you guys who have been disadvantaged by all the shit that has gone on for you all.

Interesting to hear that most of you guys don't have E2 classes as such, but rather 1-on-1 meetings. We have a one hour class after school on a Thursday, which makes 4 offline subjects per week (with E1 on a wednesday and entertainment monday and tuesday). I thought that would be pretty close to the norm around the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)