Production of transuranic elements and radioisotopes - different? (1 Viewer)

tanna

HSC
Hey guys,

Is there a difference between the production of radioisotopes and transuranic elements? I wasn't quite sure, and since they were two different dot points on an assessment task, I'm assuming that they are. I haven't been able to find any useful explanations/websites so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

appletooth

HSC
Both transuranic elements and radioisotopes can be produced using nuclear reactors AND high energy particle accelerators. So in a way, no, there isn't a great difference between their production. It just depends on the specific transuranic element or radioisotope being produced.

For example, neptunium and plutonium are transuranic elements produced in a nuclear reactor by the neutron bombardment of uranium-238.

Alternatively, hassium-265 is a transuranic element produced using a particle accelerator, in which Pb-208 is bombarded with Fe-58 to produce Hs-265 and a neutron.

Technetium-99m is a radioisotope produced in a nuclear reactor, whereby Mo-98 undergoes neutron bombardment to produce Mo-99. Mo-99 then beta decays to produce Tc-99.

Iodine-123 is a radioisotope produced in a particle accelerator, in which Xe-124 is bombarded with protons.

I'd illustrate these examples with nuclear equations, but it's too hard to do this here. I hope this made sense... :)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Radioisotope: Radioactive isotope
Transuranic element: Element transformed from uranium. They have an atomic number > 92 (uranium has atomic number of 92)

Technically transuranic elements are also radioisotopes, but I'll assume that radioisotopes all have atomic number <92.

Radioisotopes production:
In a nuclear reactor, free neutrons are bombarded into the nucleus of the targeted isotope. This causes its neutron:proton ratio to become too large. This is now a radioisotope, as its nucleus releases radiation (alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays) while decomposing.

Transuranic elements production:
With the exception of Np, Pu, Am (93, 94, 95)*, all transuranic elements are produced in either a linear accelerator, or a cyclotron (basically same as linear accelerator, except it is circular in shape so it doesn't occupy as much space). Basically, small atoms are put inside this accelerator/cyclotron. Electric fields are set up so that the charges alternate to attract the atom along the pathway of the cyclotron. This causes the atom to travel at very high speeds, and then finally bombards into the targetted uranium nucleus. This increases the number of protons and neutrons, thus a transuranic element is formed.
E.g. U + C --> Cf

* Np, Pu, Am can all be made in nuclear reactors.

When answering questions about the production of radioisotopes/transuranic elements, you should also write equations to show how an example of each can be made. I can't really be bothered typing them xD so just ask you teacher.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
minijumbuk said:
Radioisotope: Radioactive isotope
Transuranic element: Element transformed from uranium. They have an atomic number > 92 (uranium has atomic number of 92)

Technically transuranic elements are also radioisotopes, but I'll assume that radioisotopes all have atomic number <92.

Radioisotopes production:
In a nuclear reactor, free neutrons are bombarded into the nucleus of the targeted isotope. This causes its neutron:proton ratio to become too large. This is now a radioisotope, as its nucleus releases radiation (alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays) while decomposing.

Transuranic elements production:
With the exception of Np, Pu, Am (93, 94, 95)*, all transuranic elements are produced in either a linear accelerator, or a cyclotron (basically same as linear accelerator, except it is circular in shape so it doesn't occupy as much space). Basically, small atoms are put inside this accelerator/cyclotron. Electric fields are set up so that the charges alternate to attract the atom along the pathway of the cyclotron. This causes the atom to travel at very high speeds, and then finally bombards into the targetted uranium nucleus. This increases the number of protons and neutrons, thus a transuranic element is formed.
E.g. U + C --> Cf

* Np, Pu, Am can all be made in nuclear reactors.

When answering questions about the production of radioisotopes/transuranic elements, you should also write equations to show how an example of each can be made. I can't really be bothered typing them xD so just ask you teacher.
Win win win. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

tanna

HSC
Thanks guys, you've been a great help :) Much appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)