programming in actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
hi , i m planning to major in actuarial studies , i m just wondering whether act studies is totally about math or there is computing skills like programming involved ? is the programming part very hard in act studies ?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
There are very little programming in the actl courses.

You cover VBA in ACTL1001, the introductory course.
Otherwise, you may use R or SAS in future actl courses...not to any specific depth...you just brush on it really.

Usually, you always deal with Excel. Excel is a useful program.

And to address the other part of your question, actuarial studies isn't all about maths...which is why actuarial science is a separate discpline from maths. Actuarial science has their own notations and own concepts/theories which mathematicians may not understand. Basically, you apply maths to theories of statistic and finance and economics and such. Et cetera....et cetera...

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
BTW, as a suggestion, don't do double major in actuarial studies/accounting, unless you intend to drop actuarial studies after first year. It's not a useful/happy combo.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
keithmoon said:
BTW, as a suggestion, don't do double major in actuarial studies/accounting, unless you intend to drop actuarial studies after first year. It's not a useful/happy combo.

why is it not a useful combo? or actuarial studies and finance?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
Actuarial and finance is a better combo.

Why is accounting/actuarial not a useful combo? Well...you either want to be an accountant, or be an actuary...you "can't" be both.

In terms of the professions, actuaries tend to hold animosity towards accountants, because some of them always end up working in accounting firms...and unlike actuaries...we all know what kind of lame and boring people accoutants are. =)

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
is actuarial studies super super hard ?in the first year , as actuarial major , we need to do 2 math modules , what are the marks distribution like?so that i know i can proceed to do actuarial in the future ?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
To help you decide...what did you get in Ext. 1 maths and Ext 2. maths if you did it?

No actuarial studies isn't super super hard...it's just hard....sometimes frustrating...well actually most times frustrating.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
oh .... i am an A level student . :) Singapore -Cambridge A level . I scored A for Math and A for Physics ... but didnt take further math... i m not sure whether u r familiar with the system :)...what should be the marks i should get in order to stay on in the field and hopefully get a job in the field ??

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
That's good then. Basically if you want a decent progression in your career during university...then you should aim for D+ (75+) average if you're doing double degree comm/science @ unsw. The minimum required marks is C+ (65+) I believe....@ UNSW that is.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
erm... sounds pretty tough !! 65+ is a min requirement ! so 65+ is like B+?or B?( in grading system like A,B, C, D...)what is the average mark like in actuarial studies ? how much do people get ?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
I'm not too sure how that converts to singaporean grades...but HD - High Distinction (85) is highest...followed by D - Distinction (75) then C - Credit (65) and then P - Pass (50).

Not too sure what average mark is. =)

dvse

HSC
N/A
keithmoon said:

Why is accounting/actuarial not a useful combo? Well...you either want to be an accountant, or be an actuary...you "can't" be both.

In terms of the professions, actuaries tend to hold animosity towards accountants, because some of them always end up working in accounting firms...and unlike actuaries...we all know what kind of lame and boring people accoutants are. =)

I can not agree with this advice. Accounting is extremely useful if you are working in valuation / capital management or in audit. You will probably learn it by osmosis, but surely it is vastly better than the finance major, which is pretty much covered in CT8. While it is debatable how useful an accounting major is for your overall education, at least it allows to get a CA later on if actuarial doesn't work out.

Also your comments on animosity are fairly misinformed - a lot of actuaries work in the big 4.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
dvse said:
I can not agree with this advice. Accounting is extremely useful if you are working in valuation / capital management or in audit. You will probably learn it by osmosis, but surely it is vastly better than the finance major, which is pretty much covered in CT8. While it is debatable how useful an accounting major is for your overall education, at least it allows to get a CA later on if actuarial doesn't work out.

Also your comments on animosity are fairly misinformed - a lot of actuaries work in the big 4.
The animosity aspect is a joke...as is the whole concept of actuaries hating accountants...a joke. =D

dvse

HSC
N/A
keithmoon said:
The animosity aspect is a joke...as is the whole concept of actuaries hating accountants...a joke. =D

Yes, yes... but confusing for school students nonetheless! ; p

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
keithmoon said:

so have you graduated ? and r u working as a actuary now ???

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
dvse said:

what does it mean by " working in the big 4"??

dvse

HSC
N/A
movie hunter said:
what does it mean by " working in the big 4"??
[/COLOR]
The big audit firms - KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY

schmeichung

HSC
keithmoon said:

I know people who is FSA, CPA, and CFA!
so nothing limits you from being an multi-professional
don't laugh at accountants
There's so much reporting work for actuaries as well (so actuaries have to understand the standard well too!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)