Proposal (1 Viewer)

tarini

HSC
I was wondering what type of language one needs to use in the proposal and also what should one write in the vision of final product. I have got my idea but don't have a plot for my story yet- also what exactly should I write for skills in indication of preliminary research and how much research is necessary before the proposal- any help would be greatly appreciated!

Saul

*ss
HSC
when i was doing my short story, i had only done 1000 words after my final assessment... you really don't need to have done anything, as long as you can crap on effectively

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Just write what you think you're going to do - the concept, the idea behind it all, and how you're going to go about researching what you're going to research. It helps to include a basic plan of some kind... When I had to indicate how much research I was going to have to do, I just instead wrote what I was going to do. Seemed to me like an ample substitute. *shrug*

But that's just what I did.

I also did basically no research before doing my proposal. As Saul says "crap on effectively". That is pretty much it.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Follow the syllabus requirements, always.

try to make your concept unique. supports it with literary theory.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I'm having troubles starting my proposal. I know a lot of you year 12'ers are still doing exams, but I was wondering if you could post your proposals on here so us young'uns could see them.

Particularly if you've done a critical response. I'm doing a critical analysis and it would be great to see someone else's proposal.

Thanks!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Template for a proposal:

Quote-make it some quote that is relevant to writing or the writing process. It could be serious and inspirational or of another variety (the one I used last year was "the trick to writing is getting that voice inside your head that says 'thats no good, stupid' to shutup long enough for you to get something down on paper"-Kate Grenville. The one I included in my reflection statement was "What is written without effort is generally read without enjoyment").

Introduction-make it brief and justify your reasons for taking the course and what you hope to achieve by the end of it (growth as a writer and crap like that). Also briefly introduce your medium and loose idea.

Body-In this you will discuss several aspects of your work. Use a seperate paragraph for each.
Medium-Identify your medium and justify why you chose it (i.e. you are strong in this area, or it is an area that interests you)
Idea-Identify the general gist of what you will be writing about, even if it is just the area. Talk about why you chose this, and how your medium will aide in you exploring this idea
Methodology-How you will go about constructing your major work. Include areas such as research (into both the area AND the medium), planning, inspiration, and any mentors or people you will turn to for advice.

Conclusion- Sum up your intentions in no more than 1 or 2 sentences and reaffirm what it is you hope to achieve by doing this course (in different words to what you used in the intro, but make sure you assert that this course is a 'wonderful opportunity to explore your passions and interests')

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Does anyone else have to prepare and present a speech as well as a written proposal?? We do in week 9 i believe. Its somthing like 5mins plus supportive material and i'm pretty sure they are checking out journals at this stage also

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MissSavage29
Does anyone else have to prepare and present a speech as well as a written proposal?? We do in week 9 i believe. Its somthing like 5mins plus supportive material and i'm pretty sure they are checking out journals at this stage also
Sounds like the "Viva Voce" assessment. Yeah, everyone has to do that. It's an unhappy fact of Ext II English. :rolleyes: Just make sure you articulate your ideas clearly, and give reasons for things...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by MissSavage29
Nope, our proposals were just examined and assessed by our teacher (cos it was only worth like 5 or 10%).

However our Viva was infront of a panel consisting of our teacher, another English teacher, the Head of English, the K-12 Vice Principal and the Principal. The Year 11 Advanced English classes were the audience. We were in the theatrette and I was sitting on the stage with all of the lights shining in my eyes and shit...not a pleasant experience (kind of like an interrogation or audition). But something you take ext 2 knowing you have to do (Ive also heard that its not like this at all schools, my friend was just interviewed alone in a classroom for his at another school).

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I was interviewed by my english teacher alone - because we couldn't find any other free teachers at the time. The others did it with the English teacher and whatever other teacher was available at the time. *shrug*

Yours sounds more like an ordeal than an assessment. :(

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehe it wasn't as bad as it sounds, I just think it was a bit over the top having all those staff members and an audience.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Very over the top - I mean, stage? Lights? I wouldn't be able to get a word out in those conditions... :(

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
The Viva Voce sounds like fun to me - we watched last year's year 12 do these and it was amazing to see how motivated they were in their prrojects. I am a little nervous about this proposal. I'm not exactly sure what we are meant to present to them - the written part shouldn't be too hard...
It looks like we are the only school who have to do a speech for this section :rolleyes: Oh well

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Daemontreu
Very over the top - I mean, stage? Lights?
Well I was used to the stage thing cos all of our speeches are done in the theatrette (its a little stage area at the bottom of tiered seating, used mostly for drama), and the lights are just the ones used to light the stage but they shine in your eyes like nothing else, a bit off-putting when you're trying to look at the reactions of the person asking the question...

But, obviously I came out the other end alive so I should stop scaring the year 11s!

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Aw, but where's the fun in that? :D

I honestly thought it was going to be some big deal, but I just let my English teacher crap on for most of the time about what she though my work was about... sweet, sweet bludge.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehe my English teacher was like that, she'd ask you a question about a text in class or something and then answer it herself! Bless her though shes gorgeous...

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Yes, and then go off on all these tangents about it which don't actually relate to what you're meant to be taking notes on at the time? Hmm... sounds familiar. :p I wonder if all English teachers (or, the enthusiastic ones at least) are like that?

babii > girl

i was wondering if someone would be so kind but to let me read their proposal as i need to know how to structure it... is their suppose to be a specific format or language that i need to use for my proposal??
help needed desperately because my proposal is due in 2 weeks time...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Two weeks is plenty of time, I did mine in one afternoon.

Babii girl, you've made plenty of threads and posted multiple times, I'm sure that others would have given you some sort of idea as to what is required in a proposal, if not - you should talk to your teacher and he/she will help you out with some guides or paragraphing, structuring and layout.

And if that doesn't help you, PM me and I'll send you mine.

8 or 9/10 for it from what I remember (it was a year ago).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)