Protein Shakes (1 Viewer)

zooperman

HSC
N/A
Hey guys
Just started to do some casual gyming and working out and i wanna get some protein supplements to take after workout.
Thing is, theres some many out there are i dont know which one to buy.

Do u guys know where is a good place to buy them from which sells for cheap, and which brand/type is the best?
and how much should i expect to pay?

cheers

olchik

HSC
The best place to buy that is drugstore, there are good brands there.

quik.

HSC
Make sure you don't buy one that has a craptonne of sugar in it.

I'm not absolutely sure if you can buy pure whey protein, but if you can, get that.

Always read the label!

:>

55psi

HSC
go to www.asn.com.au , best supplement store in australia. Brands to look out for are the Australian made brands such as: Body Science (Bsc), Redbak, Musashi, Aussie Bodies. These brands are really popular in the industry and if u need more info about them, search them on google and theyve got their own websites.
Try not to get cheap protein either, as the cheap ones are usually harder to absorb through the digestive system. Good quality protein contains essential amino acids which help the transportation or proteins etc.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Also there are all kinds of things to consider eg exercise/diet goals etc etc

You need to decide if you want a bulking protein that has lots of carbs for energy and maximum growth or perhaps a slow release ultra high protein content one for more of a cutting or before bed protein.

A good store should be able to answer questions and direct you to the right stuff for you.

Also read up at www.bodybuilding.com and check out the diets at www.planetmax.com.au

Oh and the asn.com.au sight is very competitively priced.

HannahMc

HSC
gordo said:
u know u only need 10g of protein a day
You're supposed to take more when working out, and I believe you actually need 90g of it. That's if I remember Year 9 science properly ;)

It is expensive, I've seen some canisters for over $50, but as was mentioned above you don't want to simply go for a cheap kind. On top of not working properly, chances are the flavour isn't masked and it will make your entire shake taste like pure flour.

55psi

HSC
yeh its roughly around the 2g of protein/kilo bodyweight. the most expensive tub of protein/carb is about $180 for 8kg worth of it. So yeh price can vary a lot.

Skeeta

HSC
my bf takes all that junk, he takes shakes and then eats chicken or something (30gm protein apparently) about every 3 hours. He never stops eating basically

oh yeah just thought you should know that if you have too much protein you do some very funky farts :eek:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I believe survival is .5grams per pound recommended for normal life .8g per pound and for bodybuilders/weightlifter/powerlifters/other atheletes from 1.5g per pound to 2g per pound which becomes a hell of alot of protein..

EDIT: As Skeeta hinted at, good sources of protein are:

Chicken,
Lean Beef,
Salmonn,
Tuna,
Cheese,
Milk,
Yoguart.

And she may be onto something with the farts lol.

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
loquasagacious said:
I believe survival is .5grams per pound recommended for normal life .8g per pound and for bodybuilders/weightlifter/powerlifters/other atheletes from 1.5g per pound to 2g per pound which becomes a hell of alot of protein..
it certainly does.. i went to venice beach in L.A earlier this year and there were bodybuilders just drinking 4 or 5 egg whites at a time :eek:

p-unit

HSC
fuck that shit just eat protine foods
i think thats the best
if you take more than the body needs it comes out as piss anyways

the truth

HSC
my frend takes musashi hes got stacks of that and down at the health store im not sure on musashi but it round $80 for a big tub thing...... should also consider creatine.... it allows the body to work harder for longer as it adds to your energy system also cheaper than protein
hahah p-unit u got a point there lol

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I recommemd the Vital Strength range, good flavour, mixes well, good prices.

As far as creatine goes, my recommendation is to use it however to save money and avoid any "creatine transport" products because you're just paying extra to have dextrose pre-mixed with it. Instead buy pharmaceutical grade creatine and mix with water+dextrose or more appealingly orange juice (and the VitC gives some extra boost as well).

My latest order just arrived: a 4kg tub of Vital Strength Hydroxy Ripped Protein powder and 500g of 99.9% pure creatine. That should ammount to about a 5 month supply.

55psi

HSC
Theres way better stuff out there thats better than just the normal tradition 99.9% creatine which requires loading.
The new stuff out there which contains Arginine ethyl esters, and other amino acids help transport creatine a lot easy to the muscles, which creates full absorption of creatine. These stuff doesnt require loading, and the arginine is a vasodilator which helps pump more blood around the body, creating more better and stronger muscle contractions during workout.
The stuff i take is Nitric Rush from Bsc, it contains a combination of creatines, arginine, nitric oxide, and other stuff for a good pump. And the shit really works as well.
The new stuff i want to try out is the Nutrabolics AE2 which nearly contains 100% arginine ethyl ester. Heaps of people rave bout it, and its popular stuff.

vern

HSC
My problem is my metabolism, regardless how much I eat my body will burn it off. I was eating 1/4 chicken and chips 6 days a week 2 years ago but I still managed to not gain any weight at all. I'm doing weights at the moment and I am only toned, my body doesn't get very cut. The weight has to be so heavy that i struggle lifting it or else I just burn off weight if I do small pissy 5 - 7.5kg dumbells.
Rather, I do about 30-40 10kg dumbells each hand (one at a time of course, I'm not arny) but it's taking awhile for my hand to look cut.
Advantage though is that it's very easy to gain a 6 pack if you are lean. My mate is pushing me to take protien shakes but what does that mean? makes it easier to become cut?

Pace_T

HSC
100% ON whey or watever its called, is the best

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
That was a horrendously written post that made my brain hurt, try using grammar and language in a more accepted fashion.

It seems you have a fast metabolism (and may well be an ectomorph).

Things to think about:

cut = low body fat not large muscles which are bulk, a good physique being cut bulk.

Anything more than 10reps is cardio and will not promote growth (exception for legs) 30-40 reps at 10kg indicates you need more like 20-25kgs.

You should take protein because you are undoubtedly not getting enough.

Want a six pack you need: abdominal muscles (crunches are your bitch) and low fat (cardio is your bitch)

Jiga

My problem is my metabolism, regardless how much I eat my body will burn it off. I was eating 1/4 chicken and chips 6 days a week 2 years ago but I still managed to not gain any weight at all. I'm doing weights at the moment and I am only toned, my body doesn't get very cut. The weight has to be so heavy that i struggle lifting it or else I just burn off weight if I do small pissy 5 - 7.5kg dumbells. Rather, I do about 30-40 10kg dumbells each hand (one at a time of course, I'm not arny) but it's taking awhile for my hand to look cut.
Advantage though is that it's very easy to gain a 6 pack if you are lean. My mate is pushing me to take protien shakes but what does that mean? makes it easier to become cut?
My metabolism is prity fucked as well, but as loquasagacious said, your doing to many reps, personally I do around 3 sets of 6 reps. And Im not sure if this is good or not, but I started on weights that werent the heaviest I could do (still heavy though!), and then each fortnight or so increased it by 1kg or so just to keep stimulating growth. The problem with getting muscle and a fast metabolism is that from what Ive read, more muscle = faster metabolism, so it gets harder and harder as you bulk up more, so you need to eat more and more, thats the key really. As for protein, it is important, but dont neglect carbohydrates, directly after a workout you should be having alot more carbs than protein. I find protein also helps to ease your muscles after a workout, when I didnt use it after I went to the gym I really felt it, with protein I dont. As for the six pack, it is easier if your skinny because you dont have to work off that layer of fat on top of the muscles, but you still need to work on them

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)