Provisional Med Course (1 Viewer)

I sort of found this application form on the internet about provisional medicine at ANU. You need to do an undergraduate course at ANU but then you are guaranteed a postgraduate place. Oh and you need a UAI of 98+

I couldn't find this in the UAC guide...so I wonder if it's new for 2005? Does anyone know anything about it?

And there's still time to apply...applications close mid-Jan.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
thank god i saw this post otherwise i wouldnt have known abt this thing

crap, so do we list this as our first preference? does it even have a preference?

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
Hey there, I'm a year 12 2005'er but I'm really keen on studying medicine.
ANU accepts only a few ppl who got over 98 UAI into their provisional entry program. You have to study an undergrad program at ANU, get nice credits/distinctions and then you're guaranteed a place in ANU Grad Med school (4 yr course)

This is the application form. ANU must have it in their little hands before 13 Jan 2005, so get cracking!!
http://www.anu.edu.au/medicalschool/documents/provisional_adm.pdf

For more info about provisional entry, see:
http://www.anu.edu.au/medicalschool/admission/provisional.shtml

Not sure about preferences coz I'm not your shoes. Let me know how everything goes.

budj

HSC
Yeah i aplied for it
Correct, u do need a UAI of over 98. U still need to pass the gamsat, but u dont have to do an interview

rockstar01

HSC
So what you're saying is if I get a uai over 98 then i can go into the provisional medical course which mean that i complete a degree and get credits and distinctions then i will be guarenteed a spot in the graduate course? So the provisional med course doesn't mean that i do an undergraduate medicine course straight away?

Tao~te

HSC
wat r u talkin about rockstar?
hey ppl is the umat test and interview more important than the uai?

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
rockstar: If you get a UAI of 98+ you are eligible for the provisional entry scheme at ANU.
If you haven't applied already it's a bit late now, forms had to be in by January 13th.
With the provisional admission to Graduate Medicine at ANU, you complete a bachelors degree in anything you want. When you finish that bachelor degree, you gain automatic entry into Grad Med at ANU if:
a) your undergrad results meet the cut off (ie your GPA)
b) your GAMSAT results meet the cut off
So to answer your question, you don't do an undergrad course in medicine.

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
Tao~te: Depends on which uni you are applying to.

**UNSW gives equal weighting to UAI/UMAT/Interview. But it's well-known that the median UAI is ~99.

**Newcastle gives more weighting to UMAT/Interview --> The UAI cut-off is ~93.8 (if I can remember correctly). Once you reach 93.8, you're UAI isn't used in selection procedure(except if it's used in tie-breaker situations). What I'm saying is let's say you have two people: Mr X and Mr R. Mr X gets a UAI of 100, UMAT score of 200 and a so-so interview, while Mr R. gets a UAI of 95, UMAT score 250 and excellent interview. Mr R would get accepted at Newcastle Uni.

**Melbourne Uni gives weighting to UMAT and UAI because they don't do interviews. You do have to do subjects as prerequisites though (english, chem and maths/physics)

Poker_Face

HSC
does anyone know the advantage of this provisional med course compared to completing ur undergraduate degree and then applying for post grad med?

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
Basically the reason this provisional course was implemented because research shows high-achieving HSC students do not consider Graduate Medicine because they're afraid of the interview. This provisional course takes away the interview stage between undergrad bachelors degree and grad medicine.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
The ANU provisional entry scheme is a bit shonky IMO. You have to accept a place in ANU even before you've sat for their interview, meaning you could flunk it (the interview) but be stuck for a year in a university course you didn't want to do.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
same here, after finding out that u need to do gamsat anyways, i dont think i would like to move to canberra, i have a better chance of getting in if i stay in sydney(ie dont have to get accustomed to living in campus/alone) etc

wats the point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)