Psychology - confused (1 Viewer)

uh_huh2

HSC
hi,

i want to do psychology (honours) @ maq this year. I was reading through the handbook and it says that @ 100 level i have to study
1 - intro to psych 1
2 - intro to psych 2
3 - stats

is that all i have to study in the first year? or do i have to choose other subjects aswell?

im a bit confused

thanks

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
uh_huh2 said:
hi,

i want to do psychology (honours) @ maq this year. I was reading through the handbook and it says that @ 100 level i have to study
1 - intro to psych 1
2 - intro to psych 2
3 - stats

is that all i have to study in the first year? or do i have to choose other subjects aswell?

im a bit confused

thanks
Those are just your core subjects - ie you have no choice, you must do them to complete your degree much like with 2u English for the HSC. You also do other units which are electives meaning you choose them for yourself.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
If you look at the degree rules it will also say "total number of credit points (cp) required for the degree. you will find most first year subjects will be 3cp, meaning the 3 subjects you have listed will make 9cp.on average, you can do a max of 12cp per semester (9-14cp for full time students, but pretend it's 12). now, if you have to do 72cp for your degree, doing 12cp per semester means it will take you 6 semesters. if you do less (so rather than 24cp in a year you just do the cores and do 9cp) you will not finish your degree on time! you'll probably find your cores all up account for something like 50 or 60cp, meaning you have to choose some of your own.

in short, you have to choose electives to make up the cp the core subjects don't make up.

uh_huh2

HSC
hmmm.
what and how many other units can i choose from?
is there like a list?

thanks

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
uh_huh2 said:
hmmm.
is there like a list?

thanks
u can do any subjects as long as you meet the requirements (pre requisites), check the middle part of the handbook....my electives which i chose were

geos111- human geography - hated it
comp114- information systems (SQL) - hated it but did good in it
mktg101- marketing fundamentals- great if u did business studies in the hsc
educ105- educational psychology- loved it :) hard to do good in though, very interesting but it will help u with psychology, it overlaps with some of psy105 and psy104

X

xeuyrawp

uh_huh2 said:
hmmm.
is there like a list?

thanks
According to the handbook (I assume you're talking about the BPsych(Hons) degre-), you chose 35 credit points of electives as well as the prescribed units.

Electives can be any unit, like clairegirl said, of which you satisfy its prerequisite.

35 credit points equates to between 8 and 11 subjects to chose from; which you'd spread out over your degree time. Ie, do something fun; although many things, you find, like Philosophy, may be both fun and relevant to your degree. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

uh_huh2

HSC
thanks for the info.

has anyone done politics or bio?
what are they like ...

oh, and also when do i chose the electives? is it on enrolment day? is there like a elective info day?

:)

X

xeuyrawp

uh_huh2 said:
oh, and also when do i chose the electives? is it on enrolment day? is there like a elective info day?

:)
I would recommend looking through the list of possible units here. The letters are a bit confusing at first; but biology is BIOL, politics is POL, etc. :)

You need to actually have chosen your electives by enrolment day.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
a friend of mine who does psychology honours did:
elective (biology i think)
isys123
intro to psych1
stat

anth150
soc180
psychII
acst101 (elective)...not really relevant to this degree

so yeh basically you have a few electives here and there...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Also make sure you satisfy the requirements of how many cp you have to do at 200 and 300 level. it's best to see how many points your cores account for, then to work out what prereqs you have to do for subjects you might want to do at 300 level

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
Also make sure you satisfy the requirements of how many cp you have to do at 200 and 300 level. it's best to see how many points your cores account for, then to work out what prereqs you have to do for subjects you might want to do at 300 level
yep; that's true, but the student is only doing two first-year psych units and stat; so they don't need to worry about their degree other than the first-year electives yet. Especially considering they'll get advise on what electives to do by tutors and such. :)

It's good to be planned, though; especially with that degree -- a lot of your 'electives' still need to be psych units, which is a bit annoying, imo...

Last edited by a moderator:

uh_huh2

HSC
okies,

thanks for all the info. Do you guys know if there is an information day so we can decide on the electives, or is it just me and the handbook?

how many units would be ideal to do in 1st year?, does at 100 level mean first year uni?

thanks

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
100 level is the basic level, so yes you could say it is first year but you might find some 200 level units you can also do in first year (if they have no prerequisites or you do the prereq in first semester)

how many cp do you need for the degree? ideally, you would probably do 4 units work 3cp for each semester (that is, 8 units (subjects) and 24cp)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
just reading over this, jeez what a helpful bunch of pplez are we

forgive me for bumping this all up, im bored and theres no one to talk to.. actually im listening to lectures at the moment, so im ust checking out old threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)