Psychology in WA (1 Viewer)

iamshaw

HSC
Hi,

I live in Sydney but am applying to study psych in WA (gotta get out of the rat race). In Sydney I know that Macquarie is one of the top universities regarding psych even though you need a higher uai to get into usyd or unsw. However, in Wa, I have no idea whether Murdoch, ECU, Curtin or UWA is in fact better (for want of a better word) or more respected, or which has been operating for a long time, and which haven't, or if any are regarded by others as bad or even discredited etc.

Any thoughts from someone in the know?

jared

danielvh

HSC
I've actually had to help my brother make exactly the same choice recently.

Basically, your best options are UWA and Curtin. At UWA you would do a Bachelor of Arts and then either a single or double major in psych. To go onto the professionally accredited 4th year (Bachelor of Psych) you need to do the double major and get above a certain score in your first 3 years. In your first year you'd probably only do 2 psych units (the rest you get to choose units from other arts areas such as history etc) but after that you do primarily psych if you're doing the double major.

At Curtin you do a Bachelor of Psychology and you do more psych in first year than you would at UWA. It's still the same model in that to become professionally accredited you need to go onto 4th year (and get a certain score in the 1st 3 years to progress to that).

I'd say that UWA is clearly the better uni (but I do go there so I may be biased) but both are good choices. My bro ended up going with UWA.

HSC
Basically, if you can (ie have a high enough UAI) stay away from ECU.

I disagree with danielvh. I would say that either Curtin or Murdoch would be better for Psych. Yes UWA is Group of 8 but Murdoch allows you to enrol directly in the B.Psych, and Curtin may as well.

UWA has been operating the longest, then Murdoch. Between Murdoch/UWA/Curtin none have a bad stigma attatched, its just that ECU has the nickname of 'SuperTafe'.

I have several friends who want to study psych, and their first and second preferences have been at Curtin and Murdoch (not neccessarily in that order).

Remember. TISC preferences are due on Tuesday

iamshaw

HSC
ok well im staying away from ECU. that kind of reputation is exactly what i wanted to find out about, thanks.

by the way i discovered that the double major at UWA can be done through a b science too (not just b arts). so that's another option.

thanks a million danielvh and babikakez!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
more appropriately would have been "try here"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)