Q about Journeys + Thesis (1 Viewer)

DaRanjed

Ok, I'm trying to get REALLY ready for my Journeys essay...and I hope I don't get writers bloc..

Here are some thesis that we can use:

That an imaginative journey takes place in another world.
It is difficult/challenging.
The journey has an important outcome. You learn something.

Is it safe to say that we can use these thesis for any question?

And how many thesis should we use?

ducksitter

DaRanjed, I have only one thing to say: READ THE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER THAT QUESTION

ONLY use your thesis' if it answers the question. If you can make stuff that you know fit in for the question, then use it, only answer the question they ask you, NOT the one you wanted them to ask. The markers report on our trials basically said the same thing.

matt_n86

HSC
i completely agree. This is valid for all aspects of English Essays. Your thesis may only be one small aspect of the question or be completely different altogether.

For Example, the Imaginative journey can be divided up into four key issues, The Cause, The Consequence, Attitudes and the actual process.

DaRanjed

I know... :(
But you can fit those 3 thesis into most questions can't you?

I mean all questions are about journeys so these thesis:
That an imaginative journey takes place in another world.
It is difficult/challenging.
The journey has an important outcome. You learn something.

would fit anyway, wouldn't they??

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
A skilled writer should be able to adapt a single thesis to any essay question (within reason). A solid, adaptable, sophisticated definition of journey is the best way to go.

You KNOW that you will be asked a question on journeys, so if you have a good definition that encompasses all aspects (it could be several sentences) - you've essentially got your thesis there.

DaRanjed

Thanks Jester, I just needed a little confidence back. lol

How many thesis would be enough - on average?
I mean, if you're gonna go in depth, you'd use like 3 or 4...and even then, would you have enough time to discuss all the techniques?

Ok, I'm freaking out.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Most essays have ONE thesis :p

Your ONE thesis is the answer to the question. What you have stated are generalisations of a 'journey' and writing something like "A journey is very difficult" will not get you full marks (or anything near it!).

One of the biggest mistakes I see in essays is the tendancy to write BROAD ... the truth is you must be specific, right from the word go.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
think about it dude, the markers know every can get a tutor to write them an essay and then learn it. They are really looking into how specifically u have answered the question. i.e. proving the infference the question makes through the use of your texts

DaRanjed

What are some deeper thesis that could help me get full marks?
PLEASE help me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)