Quad Latin = main quadrangle? (1 Viewer)

CrammingFTW

HSC
sorry for the seemingly basic question, but one of my lectures is in the 'Quad Latin'.

If I had to take a guess at where it is, it would be the main quadrangle building...am I right? :S
I couldn't find any other 'quad' building on the sydney uni site or anything about that here either.

I just don't feel like I need the added stress of not knowing where I am going tomorrow, lol.

I am new - what else do you expect? :p

Cheers

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Yep, 'Quad' just means the main quadrangle. (Strictly speaking it's just called the quadrangle, since we only have one.)

To get to the latin rooms (there are 2, creatively named Quad Latin 1 and Quad latin 2) go into the corridor in the southeast corner behind the jacaranda, and they're the second and third doors on the left.

HSC
Oh god I have another class in the Quad History Room. Most uncomfortable lecture theatre ever. Everything is made of wood, and there are bars that stick out everywhere so that you can't rest your arm/back on a flat surface.

h8u quad history room :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Oh god I have another class in the Quad History Room. Most uncomfortable lecture theatre ever. Everything is made of wood, and there are bars that stick out everywhere so that you can't rest your arm/back on a flat surface.

h8u quad history room :(
Nah, I love the history room. It's one of the more comfortable wooden theatres (as opposed to the carslaw ones, which were apparently designed by the spanish inquisition).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Mebbe there ought to be a stickied thread on the USyd page about the quad rooms, since there's always questions about how to get to which room and whatever. There's that file that tells you where each room is...

HSC
I'm in the quad again this year! Thank you philosophy! :D

I believe this is what you are looking for.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never had any classes in the Quad (Or that part of the university for that matter. Furthest any of my classes have wandered into the Camperdown Campus is Carslaw.)

However thanks to GOVT moving to the Arts department, i have a class in the Quad this semester.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Rafy said:
However thanks to GOVT moving to the Arts department, i have a class in the Quad this semester.
Serious? All my GOVT subjects are on scummy Darlington campus. :(:(:(

bustinjustin

HSC
Triangulum said:
Serious? All my GOVT subjects are on scummy Darlington campus. :(:(:(
Had a GOVT lecture in the quad last semester, in Oriental Room (which is just as bad as Quad Latin 2), and though it was a nice change of scenery, I probably would've swapped it for Merewether or East Ave.
The Oriental and Latin rooms are complete fire hazards, if anyone needs to leave everyone has to get up because of lame ass airline-style fold-down tables, so getting in and out is single file, one at a time, just like any old 737. As such, arriving late or leaving early is a pain, and you've gotta walk out in full view of the lecturer. The chairs are like fold out cloth deck chairs for camping, and they squeak at the slightest move, so there's a high-pitched backing track to every lecture.

That said, having tutes in the Refectory are, or would be quite awesome. The room lives up to its name. I had to change to another tute, but originally had one in the Refectory for Asian Studies (some of which you can cross list to GOVT for a different flavour, eg ASNS3617 Citizens and Politics in China today), I dunno how to describe it, the Refectory's a bit like an underground cellar maybe, and if tutes are crap, the design of the room would provide some entertainment of a couple of weeks.

Edit: Actually, no, I probably wouldn't have swapped exchanged the Oriental Room for ease and comfort elsewhere. It was and is pretty cool, being in a non-Arts faculty and having classes in the Quad. Admittedly, I've actively sought to enrol in subjects that have classes in the Quad.

Last edited:

amber44

HSC
WOW, you've all hyped up the Quad, I've never had a lecture/or tute in there, until now. It better be good!! :)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
amber44 said:
WOW, you've all hyped up the Quad, I've never had a lecture/or tute in there, until now. It better be good!! :)
Meh. It's a very attractive building, but most of the classrooms are pretty dodgy.

HSC
Triangulum said:
Meh. It's a very attractive building, but most of the classrooms are pretty dodgy.
Yes. Sadly this is true. They're old. The sandstone exterior masks the gloom within. :D

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Unlike Carslaw or Chemistry where the ugliness outside doesn't hide the ugliness within. :D

HSC
Yeah at least Carslaw doesn't lie, it doesn't mislead. The quad is deceitful like that. :D

CrammingFTW

HSC
lol, i was slightly shocked admittedly when I saw inside.

Oh well, it was only a 1 hour lecture so it wasn't so bad.

I reckon the Carslaw ones are better though...at least the design is more suited for lectures ... and the seats are cushioned :)

KarmaKitten

HSC
Oh god I hate Carslaw.

I have lectures this year in the Darling house or something whatever. Is that the huge building next to Merewether?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Oh god I hate Carslaw.

I have lectures this year in the Darling house or something whatever. Is that the huge building next to Merewether?
The one with the big green knobs on the roof? That's Institute. Darlington House is further along, next to Institute.

Edit: or something, there are about fifty buildings called 'Darlington'. Check a map to make sure.

KarmaKitten

HSC
I didn't even realise that was part of the university. I just thought they were more like conference/events buildings. I guess atleast it makes walking to Newtown afterwards a breeze.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)