Quality of UNSW med course (1 Viewer)

jarvjami

HSC
N/A
Okay, so I recently spoke to a guy who used to lecture science at UNSW, and so he did lecture the medicine students. He was very adamant that it was a baaad idea for me (and my friend who was with me) to go to UNSW because they changed the course and now it sucks.
According to him, there are three phases? of two years or something? The first phase is basic science and clinical skills, which he complained has more content crammed into less contact hours, the second phase is a compulsory research project that according to him is a gigantic waste of time and the third phase is experience in hospitals where the doctors get really annoyed at you because you haven't done basic science or clinical skills since the first phase and so can't remember anything.
He said that the reason the course got so bad was because UNSW has a high ranking (which I do know is only based on the research the uni does, not the quality of its teaching) and so lots of students go there and so the uni doesn't have to put lots of effort into making the course really good.
I have never been there, and as I don't live in nsw I don't have any older friends I can ask about it, so I have no idea whether this guy is telling the truth.

So is this right? Can anyone explain this phase business? Should I avoid UNSW? By that I mean on the off chance I get more than one (if that) offer should I not choose UNSW?
Or is this guy wrong and is it the same quality as any other course (Monash, UQ, JCU etc.)

enoilgam

HSC
I dont know much about UNSW Medicine specifically, but with any course/uni, it really pays to go to the uni and see for yourself. Try speaking to some current UNSW Medical students as well, because students and lecturers can have very different perspectives on the quality of a course. I wouldnt base your decision off this one opinion.

jarvjami

HSC
N/A
I live almost 2000kms away from Sydney, and I don't know anyone who recently attended there, so I suppose this thread is my attempt at asking current students hahaha
Would you have any ideas of other avenues I could try?

enoilgam

HSC
I live almost 2000kms away from Sydney, and I don't know anyone who recently attended there, so I suppose this thread is my attempt at asking current students hahaha
Would you have any ideas of other avenues I could try?
You could try Med Students Online as well - I dont think BoS has too many UNSW Med students, so you will probably get a lot of second hand opinions or speculation (I'm not saying that this is always a bad thing though).

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Tbh the doctors getting annoyed at u thing will happen at some point no matter what uni u go to

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I just love how much you are underrating the difficulty of getting into med...

jarvjami

HSC
N/A
That would be my "assuming I get one (if that) offer" comment........I know it probably won't happen :/

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no reason for you to be picky for medicine and really, it doesn't matter what Australian university you go to - it's basically equivalent.

Medman

HSC
If you are thinking about doing medicine and is put off by the fact that the course sucks don't do it. You'll be committing 12+ years to training and you will not like it any better.

lawstu

HSC
There is no reason for you to be picky for medicine and really, it doesn't matter what Australian university you go to - it's basically equivalent.
There are nuances between graduates from Uni A and Uni B, but by and large you / I couldn't (past subjunctive and future subjunctive) spot glaring differences. I have noticed some personal and educational differences, but it's not as though my opinions, biases, or experiences will mean much to anyone or will do anyone any good.

OP, if your gut tells you you won't like it and won't come to possibly like it, don't do it. If your mind is closed, however, that's another story.

Take the lecturer's under consideration but with a grain of salt, especially as the claims are distortions, if not baseless.

Also, if you're dead serious about becoming an MD, apply everywhere and hope that you get in, don't give too many shits about where it is and how it is, and can survive (moneywise, sanity, etc.).

With med schools, you really shouldn't be worried about whether you want them. You should worry, but not too much, about them wanting you lol!
If you are thinking about doing medicine and is put off by the fact that the course sucks don't do it. You'll be committing 12+ years to training and you will not like it any better.
Pray tell, what are you thinking about that requires 12 y.?

Medman

HSC
Pray tell, what are you thinking about that requires 12 y.?
Internship 1 year
Residency Average 2-3 years to get a specialty training place (More when you graduate unless they decide to open more places)
Registrar training program Average about 5 years (There are longer ones)
Fellowship 1-2 years (Depending on availability of Consultant positions, many registrars decide to do a PHD because it is that hard to find a public position)

If you are lucky and manage to pass all your exams (fail rate is about 40-60% for some exams from Residency to Fellowship, if you fail it will push you back) it's minimum 11 years + doing a PHD on the side + volunteering by teaching + doing training workshops + working your ass off on alternate weekends. This is the pathway for medicine and it's not getting easier after subsequent influx in private universities offering medicine.

This being said you can do GP training which is a lot easier but yes for all other specialties it's about this time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)