Queen Lere (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
whos going to this? sounds shit
i mean, what happpens? a woman is king lear and has 3 sons or something?
im confused...
if it is feminist, feminist shit sucks lol
(as u can see i hate lear)

rama_v

HSC
Our school is forcing us to go, I think we are going on the 9th June Im not looking forward to it :(

s0k0y0e0

HSC
pig_93 said:
whos going to this? sounds shit
i mean, what happpens? a woman is king lear and has 3 sons or something?
im confused...
if it is feminist, feminist shit sucks lol
(as u can see i hate lear)
Queen Lear? Never heard of it?? :confused:

oct27_gurly

Queen Lear ???

Im going to see Queen lear on the 31st May.
Does anyone no the basic plotline or have information about it?

I seen the bondi production. I want to know the reason why it was "Oriental" people say for the easy costume change.

Did anyone ask questions after the performance?
(i would like to have more notes on it)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well from what I have heard Queen Lere is basically a gender switch on all the main characters in the play-Old queen with three sons, the evil daughter of Gloucester's female counterpart etc.
On the harlos production...there are numerous posts on that subject with two threads and a link in the king lear faq on it. However a site that may help you understand it is: http://harlos.sitesuite.com.au/12550.html

banana_hammock

HSC
I went and saw Queen Lere last night @ the PACT theatre and it was bloody fantastic! I too, had my doubts about it, you know, being too radicalist and all. But it really surprised me. The actors were splendid also, especially the actor of Queen Lere.

It basically is a gender-swapped version of King Lear, with the Queen dividing the kingdom between her 3 sons. However we see a more assertive role by Burgundy and Cornwall (being female in the play. ie. affirming the 'feminist' reading), leaving Gonerill and Regan (male actors) essentially passive. The fool is removed entirely (as he only serves a reiterating role) and Kent and Oswald are the only two characters who escaped the gender-swap. Oh, and the names are also modernised and the costumes subtly altered throughout the play. Multimedia is also used, which although may seem questionable, is quite relevant and fitting to the play.

Overall, have fun! It really is an excellent play, from the interpretation through to its theatrical execution!

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
i saw Queen Lere last night, and i thought it was really really good, and well worth seeing. the costumes were awesome and the acting was really good as well. the question time afterwards was very useful, we got to ask questions that specifically relate to the her own interpretation of King Lear. And she explained her removal of Lear in terms of her own interpretation, etc.
An awesome play and i highly recommend it to everyone. And Cordelia/Oswald was hot :)

rusty_rouge

HSC
Even if you don't want to WATCH the Queen Lere production, there are some good notes on casting, costumes etc. at www.cuttheatre.com.au (go to FAQs) - if you want to talk about it without actually going - that's my plan!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
i loved the queen lere production too and the directors notes on it were fantastic. i felt the acting was a lot better than the harlos production and the ideas behind the interpretation very interesting and well thought out.

and sphynx my entire group loved cordelia/oswald/lucentio/bagot..

The Iceman

HSC
I seen Queen Lere on Friday, June 3, and the workshop the next day. Fractly, I thought it was shit and didn't prove anything about a feminist reading at all. The only difference is the characters r changed, they have new names, some scenes and characters have been cut, and the play had nothing to do with feminism.
Instead the female characters are given macho persona's, something which is definately not femine. The play is basically just running parallel with the original text, and even the producer has no reason's behind a message at all.
The set was shit: one black box with a white background. The video footage and sounds effects were poor, even though the storm scene isn't bad. And to make matters worse, u sit on a dodgy arse scaffholing set. Good for your back that shit is.
The actors who played lear and the gloucester opposite weren't bad though, they were quite good.
The workshop was poor, unless u want to get some good quality shut eye

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i saw queen lere last year cause our teacher forced us to go cause she thought it wouldnt be on this year.. it wasnt exactly beneficial because we didnt even know what king lear was about... i dont really remember it but that cuttheatre site that someone mentioned earlier is really good for notes and stuff

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
The Iceman said:
I seen Queen Lere on Friday, June 3, and the workshop the next day. Fractly, I thought it was shit and didn't prove anything about a feminist reading at all. The only difference is the characters r changed, they have new names, some scenes and characters have been cut, and the play had nothing to do with feminism.
Instead the female characters are given macho persona's, something which is definately not femine. The play is basically just running parallel with the original text, and even the producer has no reason's behind a message at all.
The set was shit: one black box with a white background. The video footage and sounds effects were poor, even though the storm scene isn't bad. And to make matters worse, u sit on a dodgy arse scaffholing set. Good for your back that shit is.
The actors who played lear and the gloucester opposite weren't bad though, they were quite good.
The workshop was poor, unless u want to get some good quality shut eye
the only criticism i have towards the feminist side of it is the way the director fell back on the stereotype of making edmund/thaisa use her sexuality to get what she wanted. that just pissed me off so much, that i couldn't appreciate what most of my (drama) friends said was a good actress.

pungpui

HSC
We saw it last year as well in Newtown somewhere...and everyone at my school thought it was the biggest load of shit ever..but since most of you said its pretty good hopefully they've made it better! We saw the 'premiere' so maybe thats why...didnt seem to be errors though...

It was an interesting concept to swap genders...but that the end of the day i think i prefered Peter Brook's version...Megan whatever her name is (Director) seems to lack integrity in more than a few areas!

And maybe they got new actors...coz last years ones were absolutely terrible...abysmal...my drama class could have done better.

rama_v

HSC
I went to see it on Thursday night. The actors were ok (lere was very good) and I thought in general it was a bit better than I expected (this play used projectors). I think it seemd a bit disjointed but maybe thats because all the characters names were changed...Too bad though the thetre was really run down and crummy, didnt even have porper seats

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i saw it today!!! it was so cool!!! oh and that woman who played the role of edmund but reversed to become theisa?? or something like that. well she was hot :D

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i saw it today!!! it was so cool!!! oh and that woman who played the role of edmund but reversed to become theisa?? or something like that. well she was hot :D
I saw it yesterday as well, it was so good. Special effects and use of the strobe light.

Only thing is, the seats were really uncomfortable and I thought the typing up of the letter on the screen ruined it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)