queries about course in general (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Hi, I got a call from a British guy yesterday I thought it was a prank and didn't catch his name, only the bit where he said he was a professor at the faculty of architecture at USYD lol...and he was very nice and told me all the benefits of the course and stuff like that. Anyone else?

So he got off before I got the chance to ask him, but what is starting pay like for graduates, and how is USYD architecture in comparison with other unis in Australia and the world? And generally, how is it, what's it like. And should I do it instead of law...?

Thanks

kartman

HSC
My sister does architecture at the university of melbourne. the starting pay is pretty low but it think it goes up a fair bit once you get accredited...

work wise you'll have to make a lot of models and stuff. design things on autocad, theres a basic civil engineering unit (trusses, shear force, bending moment) thrown in as well.

but yeah, she seems to enjoy it. there will be night were you have to stay up all night trying to finish models and stuff but i guess if you enjoy what you are making its good fun...

mikki16

HSC
hey im thinking of doing Architecture next year but frankly im terrified cause well... all of my father's engineering friends have been telling me (and he has a few) how difficult it is for a woman to get a job... and how i wont be able to cope with the work load in uni.

What im really worried about however, is my capability of doing the course when i only studied general mathematics in my HSC year. im going to do a bridging course with my tutor in jan/feb, but will that be enough? Should i just give up now??

Everyone i talk to says "you wont just be drawing pretty pictures you know." i know that! But if i worked my arse off to gain a UAI of 94.35, will i fail university? or will i scrape through?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mikki16 said:
hey im thinking of doing Architecture next year but frankly im terrified cause well... all of my father's engineering friends have been telling me (and he has a few) how difficult it is for a woman to get a job... and how i wont be able to cope with the work load in uni.

What im really worried about however, is my capability of doing the course when i only studied general mathematics in my HSC year. im going to do a bridging course with my tutor in jan/feb, but will that be enough? Should i just give up now??

Everyone i talk to says "you wont just be drawing pretty pictures you know." i know that! But if i worked my arse off to gain a UAI of 94.35, will i fail university? or will i scrape through?
Ok, the professor I spoke to said that really not very much prior knowledge is necessary, you just have to have a 'spark' - and be willing to dedicate yourself to jazzing up life and living through your designs. Of course you'd have to have some knowledge of maths but don't worry too much - he also talked about a renowned architect who couldn't draw. Half of the marks come from the models you make - the practical part of the course so you're definitely going to have to have creativity and pragmatism, imo.

Hey, the entry cutoff was about 93. You're definitely good enough.

edit - this might help

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=96892

Last edited:

mikki16

HSC
OMG thanks... your just about the first person ive spoken too who has encouraged me haha! its weird... even my parents have been nagging at me to do a different course. my mum mentioned physiotherapy the other day - "what?! i didnt even do a science..."- but she claims i wont have time to have children later on in my career haha.

so will you be doing architecture at syd cherry??

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
if you've looked into what you want to do, and you know yourself well enough... you should be able to tell whether or not architecture is for you ;) lol, i fucked up last yr and picked engineering, but now i wanna transfer into arch.

id say your definately capable, but its gunna more about whether or not you *really* like it. as you said its not all drawings and stuff, theres stuff to do with construction, sustainability vs design ... blah blah blah.

im also not so sure where they got the idea that it was hard for women to get jobs in architecture :confused: i wouldnt have thought that, but im not sure.

good luck with your decision making :) but dont stress you got a good uai, if you decide to do arch and its not for you, you can always transfer.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mikki16 said:
OMG thanks... your just about the first person ive spoken too who has encouraged me haha! its weird... even my parents have been nagging at me to do a different course. my mum mentioned physiotherapy the other day - "what?! i didnt even do a science..."- but she claims i wont have time to have children later on in my career haha.

so will you be doing architecture at syd cherry??
well like a lot of fields I would think that the glass ceiling is intact in some way or other...
I think you should do the course you want to do; maybe talk to some people in the field to find out what it's like and whther it's for you? And sit down with your parents and listen to them - make them listen to you, but in the end make your own decision :)

no, I don't think so...my UAI is high enough for law with EAS so that's what I would do if I went to a Syd uni. Arch was sort of the 'OK I'll do this if I don't get into law' along with teaching and commerce though it sort of has appeal; I think LLB/Commerce would get tiring after a while - and all those Azns make my head ache...:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)