ques on radioisotopes (1 Viewer)

HSC
ques on radioisotopes and requirements for nuclear fission explosion

hey i have a question this is for my phys assessment task in quanta to quarks would u be able to tell me some of the major problems associated with using technetium 99m in the field of medicine. i know that one of them is that if exposed to it for long periods of time it can cause damage.

the ones that i have been looking for is storage problems . are there any real problems with storage or is there a problem with getting it from the parent molybdenum-99?

the other ques i had was the requirements for a nuclear fission explosion, could someone explain it in simple terms as we haven't been taught however it is in my assessment task and the explanation i found on the net are far too complex.

any problems that i have missed will really be helpful
thanks alot.

Last edited:

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
hey i have a question this is for my phys assessment task in quanta to quarks would u be able to tell me some of the major problems associated with using technetium 99m in the field of medicine. i know that one of them is that if exposed to it for long periods of time it can cause damage.

the ones that i have been looking for is storage problems . are there any real problems with storage or is there a problem with getting it from the parent molybdenum-99?

the other ques i had was the requirements for a nuclear fission explosion, could someone explain it in simple terms as we haven't been taught however it is in my assessment task and the explanation i found on the net are far too complex.

any problems that i have missed will really be helpful
thanks alot.
OK lets see,

for your isoptope: try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technetium#Isotopes

The most simple explanation for the nuclear fisison part: (Taken from hsc.csu)

The essence of a controlled fission reaction is that each fission that occurs should produce one and one only further fission of another nucleus. Such a perfectly controlled reaction is called a critical reaction and the amount of fissionable material of given purity that can provide that one-for-one capture probability is called the critical mass.

An uncontrolled fission process involves a process whereby more than one nucleus is caused to undergo fission as a result of the fission of a single nucleus. This type of reaction is produced in an atomic bomb. For such a reaction to occur the amount of fissionable material of a given purity brought together in one lump must exceed the critical mass.

Source : http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/options/quanta_quarks/3006/phy983.html#11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)