Question about bridging courses (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
There are some degrees I am considering however many assume or recommend certain HSC courses, especially harder ones that I did not do such as maths/extension, chemistry etc..

I am wondering, are bridging courses really helpful at all? I am wondering if it will be worth it, or if I will still struggle. Especially since the courses are usually only like 2 weeks, and the HSC course is like a year.. I have no idea how it works but it seems a lot of stuff would have to be condensed.. please let me know if you have experience with such a situation.

thanks

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
people at uni that i know did elec eng @UNSW and some only did 2unit maths, some did bridging and others didn't and they are both capable of their course with great marks. personally i think bridging is a waste.

pigas

HSC
Ok well, so if I wanted to do bachelor of medical science at UNSW, but it requires/recommends:

Assumed knowledge: Mathematics and Chemistry.
Recommended studies: Biology, Earth and Environmental Science, HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Physics.

and I've only done HSC biology, should I just avoid this degree? Especially since I don't think I'm good at maths or chem.. ugh this is the time when I wish I put in more effort in my junior years lol

HSC
The reason why Maths and Chem are assumed is because these are very important to the course itself.

What is it that draws you to the course? You will be studying maths and chemistry in at least your first year...

pigas

HSC
The reason why Maths and Chem are assumed is because these are very important to the course itself.

What is it that draws you to the course? You will be studying maths and chemistry in at least your first year...
well I realise they will be in the course lol, I know that, my problem is that I am wondering if it's worth doing the bridging course and taking the risk since I haven't done these subjects for the HSC.
I'm not sure about this course specifically, I have been looking at other courses too, but most of them require or recommend chem, maths, stuff like that. It's because I am interested in that area.

crystalgee23

HSC
It really depends on what degree you're going to do. If it says assumed knowledge [some level] maths and you know you have to take mathematics units (I know at USYD for most science related things you have to do 4 math subjects in your first year) then it's a good idea to do a bridging course if you don't know anything about things like differentiation or simple algebra.
The chemistry bridging course at USYD was a waste of time and money. If you're going to do the fundamentals unit anyway, they teach you the exact same thing in the first 4/5 weeks.
My advice: research the course and only do it if you need to.
Also they don't teach you the entire HSC course in the two weeks, just the pure basics so you've at least seen some related content before you start that subject.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
The physics bridging course I did was the biggest waste of time and money. Only remotely helpful thing was I met two people from my course by chance.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I was going to do the chem bridging course but turns out I don't need it so fak it yolo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)