question about languages (1 Viewer)

frenchie

HSC
at usyd you get placed into a languages stream based on what you did in the hsc. at macq and unsw they make you do a placement test....i wonder why the difference? does this mean the other two might cater better to your level?

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
It depends on the language at usyd, and the department

eg. Chinese department makes you take an informal test, while latin is based on what you did in the hsc.

I don't think it makes a difference, so long as you enrol in the one you are most comfortable with.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by frenchie
at usyd you get placed into a languages stream based on what you did in the hsc. at macq and unsw they make you do a placement test....i wonder why the difference? does this mean the other two might cater better to your level?
wow, i didn't know either, so if i want to do a language i will have to keep my skills up over the break? (if i go to mac or nsw)

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
what's the best way to study languages alongside science?
I want to do adv science, but I also want to do languages (japanese and/or chinese and/or french)
Should i just do adv science and then choose language as elective, or should i go for B Arts/B Science... and what do international studies and asian studies involve.... more languages or half language half culture?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Go double degree, because that way you study the language right to the end and get a degree in it. It also means more classes for the language --> more work, experience, proficiency.

B Arts (Languages) is just the language and culture of the target nation. B International Studies (at UNSW) is more culturally based (depending on which stream you pick) but still gives a very strong basis in the target language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)