Question about St John's college (1 Viewer)

bbry18

HSC
Hi, i have been looking around USYD colleges for awhile, and am pending to submit my application into St John's college as i heard it is pretty jacked up in there? With all the bullying going on and i have read articles regarding the college and the potential loss of future career opportunities as employers are less likely to employ people who have attended this college. So is this true?? Can anyone tell me how the condition is it there?? maybe from alumni or current students at usyd?

many thank for any help:smile:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I don't think anyone on bos has ever attended John's.

They have been in the media a lot over the last year, but the up side of that is that some significant changes are being made. You also can't believe all the hype in the media, but for a large number of students to have disciplinary action taken against them, there must've been some serious issues going on.

madharris

HSC
N/A
My friend who goes to St Paul's college was telling me about it.

He said that many of the offending students got expelled and that apparently they have stricter rules.

bbry18

HSC
I don't think anyone on bos has ever attended John's.

They have been in the media a lot over the last year, but the up side of that is that some significant changes are being made. You also can't believe all the hype in the media, but for a large number of students to have disciplinary action taken against them, there must've been some serious issues going on.
The only thing I am worried about is the damage to future career opportunities, and maybe some of the bullying that will affect my study.. No wonder it is the only college on campus that still has space lol..

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
if you're worried then consider other options like urbanest or finding a room off campus

lawstu

HSC
Wouldn't all the colleges be full by now?

You might want to look at this comparison .pdf: http%3A%2F%2Fsydney.edu.au%2Fcurrent_students%2Faccommodation%2Fdocuments%2FCost_Comparison.pdf as well as the USyd website re. colleges, not that it owns any of them: http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/accommodation/on_campus/colleges.shtml

The Jewish one, Mandelbaum, is pretty nice but one the Darlington side of the campus, near Redfern railway station and the TAFE. If you don't like getting your CV devo'd, then this is a safe bet. It's quite dear and can be dull, though. Though, to each their own, and that includes opinions.

Paul's can be too collegiate ('American' even), in an unmeritorious and not simply descriptive sense. Wesley is similar. Drew's, however, seems pretty tame.

If you're not into being catered for and mollycoddled, you could live at USV or SUV or whatever (the Village) near Newtown and the med library/lower medical precinct. It should be cheaper given that you have to take care of your stuff and share with others. Alternatively, there may be some housing nearby that's affordable. Again, you may have to share with other students and randoms.

izzy88

HSC
The only thing I am worried about is the damage to future career opportunities, and maybe some of the bullying that will affect my study.. No wonder it is the only college on campus that still has space lol..
How would future employers even know that you went to St Johns unless you told them? I don't think its a big deal (I doubt it would hurt your career), but I also don't see how employers would know unless you told them/put it on your resume (which you usually wouldn't do unless you were talking about college prizes or scholarships you were awarded).

bbry18

HSC
Wouldn't all the colleges be full by now?

You might want to look at this comparison .pdf: http%3A%2F%2Fsydney.edu.au%2Fcurrent_students%2Faccommodation%2Fdocuments%2FCost_Comparison.pdf as well as the USyd website re. colleges, not that it owns any of them: http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/accommodation/on_campus/colleges.shtml

The Jewish one, Mandelbaum, is pretty nice but one the Darlington side of the campus, near Redfern railway station and the TAFE. If you don't like getting your CV devo'd, then this is a safe bet. It's quite dear and can be dull, though. Though, to each their own, and that includes opinions.

Paul's can be too collegiate ('American' even), in an unmeritorious and not simply descriptive sense. Wesley is similar. Drew's, however, seems pretty tame.

If you're not into being catered for and mollycoddled, you could live at USV or SUV or whatever (the Village) near Newtown and the med library/lower medical precinct. It should be cheaper given that you have to take care of your stuff and share with others. Alternatively, there may be some housing nearby that's affordable. Again, you may have to share with other students and randoms.
Yep, I called everyone and checked directly with every and each one of the colleges and the SUV and International House, all are full and students applying would be put in a waiting list EXCEPT St John's so there might be something going on.

moocow920

HSC
John's actually had their biggest freshman intake ever this year and had more applications than places

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)