Question abt marks (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
Hey all, i found out my results today and in all my subjects i got high credits (marketing 74 world politics 73 accounting 74 etc etc). So my question is kinda hard to explain um does the fact that i got all high credits just below distinction mean that like for my official wam or gpa it will just be credit or is it an average mark or something that counts and therefore people will see my real mark overall? What does our uni use? Is it different to UNSW, MAQ, UWS etc? I'm so annoyed especially in marketing i rkn i couldve dun so much better. So pretty much how does the whole mark weight/overall result/official transcript thing work??
Thanks for your help!

4jess7lov

HSC
BTW i go to SYDNEY UNI. do we use GPA or WAM and how does that affect it?

HSC
N/A
I dont go there but I think you just avergae the percentage, i.e urs mights be 74.5 or watever, you can then call it a '74.5/100' average, or 'credit average'

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Both WAM and GPA are numerical, so you won't have a credit for those. Look up what they are and how they are calculated (there are a lot of those here, just search).

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
If it's a GPA your average will be a credit because GPA doesn't take into consideration your mark. For a credit, regardless of the mark, you get a GPA of 5/7 and if you got 4 credits then your GPA is (5 + 5 + 5 + 5)/4 = 5.

If it's a WAM your average will be closer to a distinction because it will be like (74 + 74 + 73 + 73)/4 = 73.5 = high credit (almost a D).

Usyd uses both GPA and WAM depending on what you want to apply to etc. For eg. science faculty mostly uses a WAM for honours whereas the Medical faculty uses GPA (GPA > 5.5) for admission.

4jess7lov

HSC
I'm only thinking about a job afterwards or a business internship during uni...do they see only 4 credits or can they somehow see that i was so so so so close to distinctions (74%) in my subjects???

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Sometimes, they'll just ask for your transcript and they'll look it over themselves. Your transcript has both the marks and the grades on them.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I'm only thinking about a job afterwards or a business internship during uni...do they see only 4 credits or can they somehow see that i was so so so so close to distinctions (74%) in my subjects???
your transcript shows both grade (HD, D, C, P, F) and numerical mark. an example - which has the actual marks obscured, but you can see the separate columns - is here

jaimebien

HSC
Can I just clarify this: is our final exam mark a percentile or a scaled grade? How about for regular assignments like English essays?

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Can I just clarify this: is our final exam mark a percentile or a scaled grade? How about for regular assignments like English essays?
Pretty damn sure that our English essays are scaled since they always end up, for me, as x4's, or x5's, on the borderline of grades. They always rub out the original grade too.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Elec eng and School of IT subjects aren't scaled at all anymore, the markers just mark the questions a bit easier if everyone was having trouble.

confirm/deny anyone? This is what my lecturer from one of my elec subjects told me.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Elec eng and School of IT subjects aren't scaled at all anymore, the markers just mark the questions a bit easier if everyone was having trouble.

confirm/deny anyone? This is what my lecturer from one of my elec subjects told me.
Seems about right based on the results I've been getting.

JPO

HSC
hi, I've just finished my first sem doing an MA at USYD. am a little bit confused with the meaning of "distinction average." from the website, they said that a credit can be offset by an HD. Do they only take the letter marks into account or the numbers?

my scores last sem were 80, 79, 76, 71
numerically, this averages at 76.5 but if we go by letters these are 3ds and 1c
Does this qualify?

jaimebien

HSC
JPO, from what I've been reading, the Arts faculty uses the numerical marks. In terms of a credit being offset by a HD, I think it's because if you take average the two marks (numerically), it will come in between to give you a distinction.

For example, if two of your scores were 65 (the bare minimum for a credit) and 85 (again, the bare minimum for a HD), the average would be 75, a distinction.

I think the point is that even if you do significantly worse in one subject, your average is still being buoyed up by your very high marks in another subject.

JPO

HSC
Thanks. I'm really relieved to hear that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)