Question for past HSCers (1 Viewer)

peony

how did u approached the exam, like did you do the options first then the short answers etc and why ?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I tackled the multi choice first. Then quickly browsed the entire paper for the longish questions (5+ marks) and wrote down a few notes on each one. Then I went from start to finish on all the short answer questions (1-4 marks), then tackled all the essays/extended response.

That was just my approach. You have to develop your own style, and figure out what works for you.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Depends on what type of person you are, all exams are pretty much the same format (ie multi choice, short answer, long answer) some like to do the long answer and leave the multiple choice to last because you can guess those if you run out of time etc. But if you are nervous doing the multiple choice can help because one of the answers has to be right.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
In order unless I come up blank for the first 20 seconds when looking at the question. Can't be bothered fliping around.
Reading time is spent entirely on cacheing what I know on each question.
During exam, did questions 'twice', while it's still on my mind. (have time to obtain solid marks)

Then check the third time by going through paper again.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i spent reading time doing most of the multiple choice qs.... the remaining few can be done in the 1st couple of minutes in exam time...

i think i spent about 2hr 45min doing rest of the paper in the normal order (mainly cuz i write craploads:D) .... for any q greater than 4marks, i planned my answers so theysort of followed in a logical manner or as close to a logical manner as possible:D

the remaining 10 min i spent looking over any questions i wasnt sure about and reading over essays making sure i havent missed anything worth writing....this usually involves frantic scribing in microscopic font near the margins of the pages..

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
the remaining 10 min i spent looking over any questions i wasnt sure about and reading over essays making sure i havent missed anything worth writing....this usually involves frantic scribing in microscopic font near the margins of the pages..
You're allowed to get extra booklets you know.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
I skimmed thru the paper first...like looked at if there were questions from the sections of the syllabus which i didn't like.

I went in the order the paper is given.

It depends on everyone's personal choice on how they want to go on about doing the paper.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
peony, whats with the duplicate threads lol

its eerily reminiscient of my "studying for <insert science here>" threads

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
I did all my HSC exam papers from beginning to end...but thats jus me :)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i started with the option , did MCQ n then the short responses...just read thru the paper n started doing it!! lol!

peony

Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
peony, whats with the duplicate threads lol

its eerily reminiscient of my "studying for <insert science here>" threads
Well, i thought some people have different approaches in each exams that's all.:)

Rahul

Dead Member
i did option first, then short responses, then multi choice. i did this so, incase i ran out of time for MC, i could at least guess them at 25% chance.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
i did option first, then short responses, then multi choice. i did this so, incase i ran out of time for MC, i could at least guess them at 25% chance.
Pfft, if you run out of time in the HSC Physics exam ... lol

But it's a good thing to wonder about. Do you do the MC first, to give yourself confidence, or do them last, as a failsafe, and to maximise marks (Assuming you run out of time)?

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
But remember that u can make a lot of silly errors in MC Qs, so another thing to consider is that if u r really nervous at the start of an exam, then u r more likely to make silly errors, and so it is not advisible that u do the MC Qs first.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i did the whole paper in order, leaving out the questions i wasn't sure of (which left out about 1/3 of the paper, admittedly hehe). And then i went back and did those questions, taking my time.

Affinity

HSC
Just do it in order, you ARE planning to finish the paper aren't you?

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Yeh I agree... Do it in order...
That way you can pick up clues to answers for the rest of the paper...

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah- u usually have a lot of time in hsc science exams. :D
Alot? I think it's obscene. I nearly fell asleep after checking through the paper for the umpteenth time to make sure I didn't miss a question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)