Question For People Studying Plath (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I have been working through the 2001 HSC examination and I do not know how to answer the Module B: Critical Study Of Texts question for Plath. The question is:

"How does the poet's use of personal voice shape emotional and intellectual responses to the poetry?"

I think you are supposed to answer it by referring to the different reading that can be taken by the responder. Is that right:confused:? Thanks:).

Dave85

HSC
sylvia plath is gay... i have nothing .If they asked something similar im in shit. lets hope they dont

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Dave85
sylvia plath is gay... i have nothing .If they asked something similar im in shit. lets hope they dont
Yeah, I will be praying:). Do you think they will specify the poems for us to write about or just give us the choice this year:confused:? I really hope that they give us the choice because I do not know all seven of her poems:).

symo

HSC
im doin plath..its shit ay! ive got my set essay, its a bit long so i can cut of irrelevant paragraphs...just got my notes into paragraph sections...as long as the question is straight forward n none of this personal voice or one i did bout transcending time + place (whatever that meant) i can work out what they want n manipulate my stuff round that.. oh well ill do better (i better) in bnw/br n caesar.
Adam

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am just going to memorise an essay dealing with two of her poems so that I don't get confused and I have concise information on them. I will just have to hope that we don't get asked to answer the question in regard to one or two specific poems, otherwise I will fail miserably:(.

anastabation

Silvia Plath is my best subject, in the two exams this year I got a 16/20 and a 17/20. I have been working through various sample exam papers this week, however I haven't sumbled across that one. This question seems alot harded then any others. I *think* they are trying to ask what emotional and intellectual responses her poetry evokes from the responder, the responder being you. Thats how I would go about it. If I'm wrong, then chances are alot of others will be too.

monkey187

God
HSC
I did this question by responding to Sylvia Plaths poetry style and her life experinces like saying her use of extended metaphors and shit but my teacher said to relate to variant readings.

She said you should say Sylvia Plaths personal voice shapes the emotional and intellectual responses of 3 different critics for 2 poems or 2 different critics for 3 poems.

eg.
lady laz and daddy

feminist pt of view, Psychoanalytical pt of view and a cultural pt of view

explain how these different perspectives are shaped in her poems

sum shit like that hope it helps

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by monkey187
I did this question by responding to Sylvia Plaths poetry style and her life experinces like saying her use of extended metaphors and shit but my teacher said to relate to variant readings.

She said you should say Sylvia Plaths personal voice shapes the emotional and intellectual responses of 3 different critics for 2 poems or 2 different critics for 3 poems.

eg.
lady laz and daddy

feminist pt of view, Psychoanalytical pt of view and a cultural pt of view

explain how these different perspectives are shaped in her poems

sum shit like that hope it helps
Thanks heaps monkey187:). That is how I ended up answering the question but I used two poems and two different readings because I was already over the amount of words I could write in forty minutes:).

monkey187

God
HSC
hey do you have the plath examplar essay from last year by any chance??

El_chupah_nebre

we did this exact same question in the trial HSC so i hope this information helps. "Emotional" and "intellectual" responses refers to the readings that can be examined througout her poem. For example a sypathetic and remorseful responder is more inclined to view "daddy" as Plath expressing her hatred and frustration on the men in her life (Autobiographical elements). Emotional reponses link directly to the context of responders. Where as intellectual looks at the techniques and structures of a text in order to create meaning.

When the question states "Personal Voice" this is refering to the themes that exist within her poetry. Its is clear that she gives expression to the dissonant voice of the mentally ill through "Lady Lazarus" through lines such as "them unwrap me" ect.

So in summary "personal voice" is refering to themes, issues & values. "emotional" and "intellectual" responses are direct links to the readings!!

later!

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by El_chupah_nebre
we did this exact same question in the trial HSC so i hope this information helps. "Emotional" and "intellectual" responses refers to the readings that can be examined througout her poem. For example a sypathetic and remorseful responder is more inclined to view "daddy" as Plath expressing her hatred and frustration on the men in her life (Autobiographical elements). Emotional reponses link directly to the context of responders. Where as intellectual looks at the techniques and structures of a text in order to create meaning.

When the question states "Personal Voice" this is refering to the themes that exist within her poetry. Its is clear that she gives expression to the dissonant voice of the mentally ill through "Lady Lazarus" through lines such as "them unwrap me" ect.

So in summary "personal voice" is refering to themes, issues & values. "emotional" and "intellectual" responses are direct links to the readings!!

later!
El_chupah_nebre, thanks a lot for your help, that makes the question seem a lot easier. They could make the question a lot easier for us by saying:

"How does Path's points of view shape the way the responder responds to her poems."

But no they have to make it difficult for us:(.

By the way I noticed that we go to the same school. Are you sure we got that question in the Trial HSC:confused:?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)