Question in Exam not in Syllabus- ability to query? (1 Viewer)

ebbygoo

HSC
I suppose.

cricketfan, I'm done with you, I mean, going through your posts quickly, seems like you always hold the unnecessary-ily negative comments.

Last edited:

albertcamus

HSC
I suppose.

cricketfan, I'm done with you, I mean, going through your posts quickly, seems like you always hold the unnecessary-ily negative comments.
Drawing a timeline (the way I see it) is just a common skill.

Look at 2012 (iirc) HSC Chem paper asking you to draw the structure of the atmosphere for more info.

You really should know these basic skills lol. Not hard at all. And the fact that the rest of your class didn't get it...is a bit worrying I guess.

HSC Chem continually asks for flowcharts and stuff like that, so it's about applying your knowledge a bit - you can't expect them to just churn out the syllabus with a few words changed here and there.

albertcamus

HSC
No it was about the history of metals, and there was a massive range, but most of them were in the last 1-2cm of the scale, hence, I messed it up trying to fit them all in because I had no idea how to spread it out (i.e draw a box off to the side with a 'zoomed in' view of that 1-2cm, etc). And yeah this is why I know I didn't perform well in that question because I don't have common skills, and being 20% of the total mark, it pulled my whole mark down. I suppose the whole reason its a big deal to me is because I really underperformed compared to what I actually know/the amount of time I put into the subject.
ftfy.

SunnyScience

HSC
Talk to your teacher about it: ask them which part of the syllabus was being tested so you can go back, revise and do better next time. By asking in this way, you won't be offending 'the man' but you will get your point across if they can't provide an answer.

I hope that satisfies you. :)

D94

HSC
N/A
I guess it doesn't matter/won't help now, but it doesn't have to be to scale or very fancy with "zoomed in" views, e.g. http://d4ivetteprieto.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/timeline1.gif The first 80 years shown is shorter than the following 40 years or so.

You could even have listed the events in order and drawn a vertical line alongside it - done, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_World_War_I You don't need to worry about scale.

But as I said before, you would have seen timelines before. You do SOR1, there are timelines in the textbooks. You did Mandatory History, you would have came across a timeline. Your signature is a timeline.

You don't need to be taught how to do this. You said you didn't know how to spread it out, well, think about it - if there are going to be 10 dates clustered together, and a few which go back a long time and are spread out, clearly you need more room for the 10 clustered together. You can draw from your experiences with graphs (unless you're now claiming you weren't 'taught' how to draw graphs) - some points will be closer together and a few spread out, maybe the data starts at 100 and finishes at 110, so if you had put that to scale and started from 0, then that would be ridiculous. You would disregard scale from 0 to 100, then spread 100 to 110 evenly for your graph. It's the same with a timeline. If you have dates from 1800 to 1900, then 1950, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2013 etc., you would logically need more room for the later dates. You would disregard scale from 1800 to 1900 to 1950 to 2000, and have the rest evenly spaced out or whatever.

But as other people have said, it's only Prelims. Learn from this and think about your approach to these types of questions.

ebbygoo

HSC
Talk to your teacher about it: ask them which part of the syllabus was being tested so you can go back, revise and do better next time. By asking in this way, you won't be offending 'the man' but you will get your point across if they can't provide an answer.

I hope that satisfies you. :)
Yeah thanks.

What is your problem?

ebbygoo

HSC
I guess it doesn't matter/won't help now, but it doesn't have to be to scale or very fancy with "zoomed in" views, e.g. http://d4ivetteprieto.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/timeline1.gif The first 80 years shown is shorter than the following 40 years or so.

You could even have listed the events in order and drawn a vertical line alongside it - done, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_World_War_I You don't need to worry about scale.

But as I said before, you would have seen timelines before. You do SOR1, there are timelines in the textbooks. You did Mandatory History, you would have came across a timeline. Your signature is a timeline.

You don't need to be taught how to do this. You said you didn't know how to spread it out, well, think about it - if there are going to be 10 dates clustered together, and a few which go back a long time and are spread out, clearly you need more room for the 10 clustered together. You can draw from your experiences with graphs (unless you're now claiming you weren't 'taught' how to draw graphs) - some points will be closer together and a few spread out, maybe the data starts at 100 and finishes at 110, so if you had put that to scale and started from 0, then that would be ridiculous. You would disregard scale from 0 to 100, then spread 100 to 110 evenly for your graph. It's the same with a timeline. If you have dates from 1800 to 1900, then 1950, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2013 etc., you would logically need more room for the later dates. You would disregard scale from 1800 to 1900 to 1950 to 2000, and have the rest evenly spaced out or whatever.

But as other people have said, it's only Prelims. Learn from this and think about your approach to these types of questions.
This is the part that confused me, because, the dates were pretty much every 0.5cm then the last 1cm had like 8 points.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Lol it doesn't mention a timeline in the syllabus therefor you shouldn't have to know how to do it? It doesn't infact mention any question type in the syllabus. You do realise that the whole point of an exam (or test) is to apply your knowledge in a way that you haven't before. In a maths test, you get asked questions you haven't seen before, with the point being that you use what you do know to solve it. Maybe think about the question yourself before asking it buddy.

ebbygoo

HSC
Mate you can't apply knowledge you don't know; from what you're saying, a pianist should be able to apply their musical skills and be able to play guitar no problem.

albertcamus

HSC
Mate you can't apply knowledge you don't know; from what you're saying, a pianist should be able to apply their musical skills and be able to play guitar no problem.
But you do have the knowledge? The knowledge of Chemistry?

Really, please have a quick look at 2012 HSC Chemistry Questions 26 and 29 which ask you to draw a flowchart and then a diagram - you'll see what they mean. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2012exams/pdf_doc/2012-hsc-exam-chemistry.pdf

wagig

HSC
Flow charts and diagrams are mentioned in the Chemistry syllabus multiple times; timelines aren't :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Have you really never been asked to construct a timeline in any subject before?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Really? That's strange, I did like 500 in junior history

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)