Question on bonus points (1 Viewer)

elecsplash

HSC
Hey, so i wanted to do Economics and Applied Finance at macquarie and the requirement is a 90 atar. I can get up to 9 bonus points through EAS and subject bonus points. Does that mean if i get an 81 ATAR, and i'm eligible for all 9 points, i will make it in? If not, what would be a safe ATAR to guarantee entrance? I don't think i can get a 90.

SharkeyBoy

HSC
I think the Uni's only offer a maximum of 5 Bonus Points, but I'm not too sure on that...

MBMD

HSC
They have the subject bonus points- ones you get for doing well in certain subs, and EAS, which are counted separately. EAS points can also be applied to courses not covered by subject bonus points, like Law.

edit: subject bonuses have a cap of 5 iirc

elecsplash

HSC
They have the subject bonus points- ones you get for doing well in certain subs, and EAS, which are counted separately. EAS points can also be applied to courses not covered by subject bonus points, like Law.

edit: subject bonuses have a cap of 5 iirc
yep, EAS gets me 4 points and subject bonus points maxes at 5, so that's a max of 9 all together?

elecsplash

HSC
It's 9 total: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/academic_advantage/

"You can receive a maximum of nine bonus points if Academic Advantage is combined with other access schemes such as uniTEST or the Lighthouse Scheme."

But...

You might as well try out for B commerce UNSW or (B economics)

It's possible for you to get into a course with higher cut-off... but not in a course with lower cut-off.
What I mean is: Since different universities assess disadvantages differently, it is possible for you to get into UNSw... but not Macquarie.

E.g.... My 2011 ATAR was 86.9... UNSW med science cut-off was 95.10...... USYD med science was 92.10.
USYD gives 5 bonus points max (at the time when I applied to UAC... it wasn't possible to combine subject bonus with EAS for this uni... I think it is still the same now)
UNSW gives 10 EAS and 5 subject bonus.

So, my selection rank was 86.9+5 = 91.9 for USYD.... 86.9+15 = 101.9 for UNSW. (I got into UNSW med science, my 1st preference. But I wouldn't have made it into USYD med science because 5 bonus points were not enough.)

Normally, one would expect it to be easier to get into a course with lower ATAR cut-off... but... paradoxical situations can happen.

If you get 81 ATAR.... and...
if you have the "most number" of disadvantages or disadvantages of "highest severity"... and that you get the 5 subject bonus....
that's 81 +15 = 96 (just below the cut-off for unsw commerce 96.30... but above unsw economics 94.30)

Hopefully I scared you into considering other unis as well.
the only points i get from EAS is the disadvantaged school, i don't think i'll be able to get 10 points with that. I didn't really want to do economics by itself because i hear there's no jobs with just an undergraduate degree. Commerce sounds alright but i dont think i'll make it with just my current bonus points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)