question on UMAT (1 Viewer)

byebye33

HSC
ive signed up for umat and im trying to shove some practice papers ive bought from umat site and online down my throat every weekend
but i realised that my friends who are also aiming for med is like getting umat tutor like medstart and medentry
the courses are really expensive for me considering im just managing maths and english tutor atm
do i need those umat tutoring to get good marks? is there any other stuff that i can refer to instead?

gandalfbrah

HSC
Many people do it because they treat umat as if its something that can be taught. To a certain degree it can but it is just as sufficient to work on past umat papers from tutoring centres and acer to prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically UMAT recycles certain 'type of questions'. Most people have UMAT tutoring of Medentry to familiarise themselves with these type of questions. Unfortunately, most people in my Med year have had tutoring (myself included), though there are others who have not.

As long as you become familiar with the type of questions, you should be fine. There are free UMAT guides (e.g UMATready I think) that briefly covers the style of questioning.

Bestintheworld

HSC
Also if you cannot afford Medentry, maybe buy those NIE books, they seem pree good!

A1P

HSC
do i need those umat tutoring to get good marks?
Do a few pracs, if afterwards you can work out the reasons for the ones you got wrong, learn from it and you don't need a tutor.

If you can't work out even after seeing the answers get a friend or a tutor for a few hours to help explain. Shutting it out doesn't help you improve.

byebye33

HSC
Many people do it because they treat umat as if its something that can be taught. To a certain degree it can but it is just as sufficient to work on past umat papers from tutoring centres and acer to prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so just doing practice papers i can find would be sufficient enough??

gandalfbrah

HSC
so just doing practice papers i can find would be sufficient enough??
Definitely, umat is about familiarising with approaching questions, if you cant seem to grasp it a tutor wont do much. Especially because every year new questions are trialed

byebye33

HSC
Basically UMAT recycles certain 'type of questions'. Most people have UMAT tutoring of Medentry to familiarise themselves with these type of questions. Unfortunately, most people in my Med year have had tutoring (myself included), though there are others who have not.

As long as you become familiar with the type of questions, you should be fine. There are free UMAT guides (e.g UMATready I think) that briefly covers the style of questioning.
i can see the pattern in the last section with non verbal reasoning, finding the pattern and everything but i think im having trouble with logical thinking...? any tips?

byebye33

HSC
Definitely, umat is about familiarising with approaching questions, if you cant seem to grasp it a tutor wont do much. Especially because every year new questions are trialed
is there a certain study technique u are using to approach umat questions? because im gathering questions i did wrong and later planning to print them out and redo them constantly, would this work??

gandalfbrah

HSC
is there a certain study technique u are using to approach umat questions? because im gathering questions i did wrong and later planning to print them out and redo them constantly, would this work??
Thats basically what you do, understanding how to arrive at the conclusion is the main point

byebye33

HSC

was there a specific study technique you used to enhance yourself in umat? cz im gathering up umat qs that i got wrong separately and planning to redo them again and again over the remaining year (and trying to do one paper per week) do you think this would be effective...?

i feel like someone threw me onto a stranded island :')

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)