• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question regarding QMA 1% online quiz (1 Viewer)

himynameisho

HSC
OKAY I JUST ATTEMPTED THE QUIZ thought it'd be EASY, it was so WORDy but i got all these silly mistakes anyway.

SO I GOT 2/10. OMG IM LIKE STRESSING TO THE MAX, and other stuff is bothering me too. Surely the 2nd quiz is not the same because they give you the answers. but these few questions is STILL BOTHERING ME

1. A reader is offered the chance to purchase four quarterly copies of a magazine at $7.95 each starting now or to take out a yearly subscription now to receive the same four issues. If the subscription costs $25.40 what is the discount offered in present dollar terms if the interest rate is 6.2% compounded quarterly?

(Give your answer as a percentage correct to one decimal place, omitting the % sign.)

2, An amount of $51,933 is invested in a term deposit witch earns interest daily. Then as each term expires the balance is rolled over and reinvested at the best interest rate with daily compounding that is available. After ten years the total balance of $93,036 is withdrawn. What annual effective rate of interest has been earned over this period?

(Express your answer as a decimal, correct to 4 places rather than as a %.)

3. The internal rate of return from an investment in new equipment is expected to be 8.1% per annum. If the returns are expected to be $48,162 at the end of year 1, -$2,409 at the end of year 2, zero at the end of year 3 and $79,074 at the end of year 4, what is the cost of the equipment?

(Give your answer as a positive value to the nearest cent, omitting the dollar sign.)

I SCREAM HELP

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
One and two are easy. You just suck and don't know the formulae.
Three is confusing, as I have no idea what an internal rate of return is.
But if that's the hardest it gets, then I may well do it tomorrow anyway, even though I'll be hungover.

Justina

HSC
OKAY I JUST ATTEMPTED THE QUIZ thought it'd be EASY, it was so WORDy but i got all these silly mistakes anyway.

SO I GOT 2/10. OMG IM LIKE STRESSING TO THE MAX, and other stuff is bothering me too. Surely the 2nd quiz is not the same because they give you the answers. but these few questions is STILL BOTHERING ME

1. A reader is offered the chance to purchase four quarterly copies of a magazine at $7.95 each starting now or to take out a yearly subscription now to receive the same four issues. If the subscription costs $25.40 what is the discount offered in present dollar terms if the interest rate is 6.2% compounded quarterly?

(Give your answer as a percentage correct to one decimal place, omitting the % sign.)

2, An amount of $51,933 is invested in a term deposit witch earns interest daily. Then as each term expires the balance is rolled over and reinvested at the best interest rate with daily compounding that is available. After ten years the total balance of $93,036 is withdrawn. What annual effective rate of interest has been earned over this period?

3. The internal rate of return from an investment in new equipment is expected to be 8.1% per annum. If the returns are expected to be $48,162 at the end of year 1, -$2,409 at the end of year 2, zero at the end of year 3 and $79,074 at the end of year 4, what is the cost of the equipment?

(Give your answer as a positive value to the nearest cent, omitting the dollar sign.)

I SCREAM HELP
I done the quiz too. I was given pretty much the same questions but with different numbers....so yeah, i guess if you attempt it again it'll be the same Q's with diff. figures to work with.

i got 6/10 >.< was hoping for a 8/9 but meh, i'm not bothered to try it again.

08er

HSC
wasn't hard for me, i got 10/10 but i think it also depends on the questions you get. i couldnt do some of the questions my friend got so i guess i got lucky

himynameisho

HSC
One and two are easy. You just suck and don't know the formulae.
Three is confusing, as I have no idea what an internal rate of return is.
But if that's the hardest it gets, then I may well do it tomorrow anyway, even though I'll be hungover.

I know I wasn't paying 100% until I got the actual mark, but it'd be great if someone could show q1 and 2 if it's that easy, that'd be awesome

Thanks in advance.

Well I did it again and got 8/10, but goddammit i got that same question again (q1) and spent lik 15 min still couldnt do it. really should have confirmed how to do it b4 i went in, but oh wells 8/10 is very good for my standards

Last edited:

loler

HSC
yeah can anyone do that question one ......a reader is offered the chance to purchase four quaterly copies of a magazine........ question asked previously??

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
For the subscription question, you find the present value of each of the quarterly payments (i.e. the present value of $7.95 for 3, 6 and 9 months at the rate of 6.2%pa) and then add them all up to compare it to the subsricption price to find which is cheaper. Simple.
I can't be bothered doing the other one at the moment. If you're really stuck then start begging and I might help.
I'm still yet to do mine. lol.

loler

HSC
hey do u know how to do this one- a tradesman entered into loan commitments which required him to pay $87,415 at the end of year 4 and $34,045 at the end of yr 6. his business is now making such good profits that he decides to pay off both loans at the end of year 3. how much should he pay at that time if the interest rate is 7.2% p.a. compounded quaterly?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yeah, it's 87415 minus one year of interest at 7.2%, plus 34045 minus 3 years of interest at 7.2%. Don't forget to compund quarterly and to use a negetive as your power when removing interest.
Hahaha I just did the test then and got 8/10. One of them I plainly have no idea where I went wrong, but the other one i thought that 2 years and 2 months minus 20 months = 4 months. Oops.

loler

HSC
wtf how exactly do u write that up.

87415-(1.018)^4 for 87415 minus one yr interest at 7.2%
wtf wats the working outy for this doezn make sense

08er

HSC
hey do u know how to do this one- a tradesman entered into loan commitments which required him to pay $87,415 at the end of year 4 and $34,045 at the end of yr 6. his business is now making such good profits that he decides to pay off both loans at the end of year 3. how much should he pay at that time if the interest rate is 7.2% p.a. compounded quaterly?
let x be the payment at the end of year 3.

since r = compounded quarterly,
year 3 = 12 periods
year 4 = 16 periods
year 6 = 24 periods

therefore,

x = 87415(1 + 0.072/4)^-4 + 34045(1 + 0.072/4)^-12

= $108878.46

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
No, it's:
87415(1.018)^(-4)
If you want to remove interest, just make the power for the compound interest negetive.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

I SCREAM HELP
By the way, I did the third question for this and got it right. Turns out internal rate of return is just the cost of capital. So you take each of the values given and work out their present value with the interest rate given, then add thm up to find the initial investment.

loler

HSC
can anyone help with these-
1) a reader is offered the chance to purchse four quaterly copies of a magazine at $7.95 each starting now or to take out a yearly subscription now to recieve the same four issues. if the subscription costs $24.95 what is the discopunt offered in present dollar terms if the interest rate is 5.9% compounded quaterly? give answer as percentage to 1 dpl. answer :19.8

2)an employee steals a sum of $106117 and a second sem of $203789 two years later from a company. evnetually the theif is caught, stands trial and is found guilty. the judge decides that the employee must reimburse the company by repaying the maount stolem plus 10.7% interest compounded monthly calculated over the period since it was stolen. it is now six years since the first offence. how much has to be repaid? answer: 513, 136.55

3) patrick is due to pay an amount of $15364 two years and two months from now. if he is able to repay his debt early, 17 months from now, how much will he pay? assume an interest rate of 10% p.a. compounded monthly. answer : 14258.28

does anyone no how to do these i mean the working out for em i neeed to know quickly - please show me with the working out otherwise i might not get it.
thanx in advance

08er

HSC
those questions shouldn't be hard if you've been doing your tutorial questions and understanding how you arrived at your answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)