Question regards to dropping one of the dual degrees (1 Viewer)

australiandate

HSC
I just got an offer from Usyd Commerce/Arts. I want to drop the arts degree because alot of people i know of who working as accountants and bankers tell me its useless.

Im guessing its too late to transfer to a single commerce degree.

On the uni website it suggests me to do 3 commerce subjects and 1 arts subjects.

As I plan to drop the arts degree after 1 or 2 semester, am I allowed to just do 4 commerce subjects?

Also, if I do 2 majors, generally how many electives outside the Business school would I be able to take?

AlbertEinstein

HSC
N/A
Can you transfer from arts to a useful degree like law, science, adv. maths, engineering, IT etc... at this point ???

neontiger

HSC
This page may be of some help to you: http://sydney.edu.au/business/curre...ration/student_administration_manual/transfer
Don't rely on your request being allowed immediately though. I've got friends who've tried to drop from combined to single degrees and, in some instances, they won't allow it until you've completed a year of the degree (having said that, they did Commerce/Engineering or Commerce/Science).

I don't think you could do 4 Commerce subjects... I think there's something in the course rules about it but I can't find it. There are plenty of good Arts units to take though! Junior units from Political Economy are great and really complement a lot of the strictly mathematical Economics/Finance stuff you get in the Business School. It's an interesting new perspective. Also, Economics units can count towards Arts or Commerce, so if you did your standard BUSS1001, BUSS1040, BUSS1030 for Commerce in your first semester of the combined degree you could do a subject like ECON1002 (Introductory Macroeconomics) as your elective.

With two majors, it depends on the combination. Some of the more lengthy majors like Accounting and Economics seriously limit your ability to do electives. But for a standard BCom you do 24 subjects over the 3 years. Of that, 6 are compulsory subjects. With 18 subjects left, most double major combinations would allow you to take an elective or two. For example, a Finance/International Business double major (what I am doing) takes up 12 units, so that leaves you 6 elective subjects across the life of your degree. In the BCom you can take a maximum on 48 credit points from outside the Business School/School of Economics, which is 8 subjects.

australiandate

HSC
This page may be of some help to you: http://sydney.edu.au/business/curre...ration/student_administration_manual/transfer
Don't rely on your request being allowed immediately though. I've got friends who've tried to drop from combined to single degrees and, in some instances, they won't allow it until you've completed a year of the degree (having said that, they did Commerce/Engineering or Commerce/Science).

I don't think you could do 4 Commerce subjects... I think there's something in the course rules about it but I can't find it. There are plenty of good Arts units to take though! Junior units from Political Economy are great and really complement a lot of the strictly mathematical Economics/Finance stuff you get in the Business School. It's an interesting new perspective. Also, Economics units can count towards Arts or Commerce, so if you did your standard BUSS1001, BUSS1040, BUSS1030 for Commerce in your first semester of the combined degree you could do a subject like ECON1002 (Introductory Macroeconomics) as your elective.

With two majors, it depends on the combination. Some of the more lengthy majors like Accounting and Economics seriously limit your ability to do electives. But for a standard BCom you do 24 subjects over the 3 years. Of that, 6 are compulsory subjects. With 18 subjects left, most double major combinations would allow you to take an elective or two. For example, a Finance/International Business double major (what I am doing) takes up 12 units, so that leaves you 6 elective subjects across the life of your degree. In the BCom you can take a maximum on 48 credit points from outside the Business School/School of Economics, which is 8 subjects.
Thanks, just confirmed with the Business School that I am free to choose any subject that I want in any order as long as they fit in the 'criteria' :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)