Question, urgent (1 Viewer)

Veck

ok
I do 4u maths, 4u english, french and chemistry.
I wanted to only do ten units but I had to do four subjects for the HSC.
Now, I'm still in the same dilemma, and since I still suck at chemistry I'm thinking of not trying and concentrating all my efforts on getting good marks in every other subject.
Now, I know you have to do a minimum of four subjects for the HSC, but for your UAI, will a minimum of four subjects be counted? ie, if I do shit in chemistry, will it still count because it's my fourth subject...
this is really causing me strife...
tahnks in advance.

mishka

HSC
N/A
quoted from UAC website:

Rule 1 - Eligibility

To be eligible for a UAI you must satisfactorily complete at least 10 units (including at least two units of English) of UAI courses.

Courses must include at least three UAI courses of two units or greater and at least four subjects.

Rule 2 - Calculation of the UAI

Your UAI is based on the aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of UAI courses comprising:

* your best two units of English; and

* your best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included.

so it looks like chemistry will have to be counted, no matter what, because there has to be at least 4 subjects...

Veck

god please no...
this can't be serious.. can I get any confirmation...?
this is so bad..
but when I use SAM it doesn't count them..?
is that any sort of real representation?
ahh fuck..
thanks for your help though

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Actually

Requirements For The Award Of The HSC

A minimum of 12 units the pereliminary course and a minimum of 10 units in the HSC course. Bothe the preliminary course and the HSC course must include the following:
1) At least 6 units from Board developed courses including at least 2 units English
2) At least three courses of 2 units value or greater
4) at least 4 subjects

No more than 6 units courses in science can contribute to Higher School Certificate

Yes, 10 best units and chemistry will not be counted IFF other units are outstanding.

Last edited:

Veck

so if I do excellently in everything else, chemistry won't be counted..?
I need concrete reinforcement of this or else I'm gonna be so worried and stressed...
help someone.

PS merci beaucoup SmallCattle

mishka

HSC
N/A
Veck said:
god please no...
this can't be serious.. can I get any confirmation...?
this is so bad..
but when I use SAM it doesn't count them..?
is that any sort of real representation?
ahh fuck..
thanks for your help though
well that's what it says on the website....

i could be reading it wrong, but it does mention having at least four subjects.

and tuna, we're talking about the UAI, not the HSC. the info i posted was directly from the UAC website...

Veck

I'm going off what you said, from "http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html#rules"

since all my subjects fall into category A, I can't see where a problem would arise

best 8 units, and two of those units include my other english subjects, which are category A subjects, so all my 8 units are comprised from category As..

hm.. am I right in assuming this?

mishka

HSC
N/A
mmm, yeah it sounds right. maybe it means to be ELIGIBLE for the UAI you have to DO at least 4 subjects, but when calculating the actual UAI it goes by normal rules, disregarding the number of subjects!!! (yes, looks like i misread!) oooooh so confusing.... wow, 4u english and maths would be tricky!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mishka is correct.

The '4 subjects' rule only goes to eligibility - once you're eligible for a UAI, it doesn't matter anymore.

So you'll have your top two units of English count, and then your next best eight units.

Veck

mishka said:
wow, 4u english and maths would be tricky!!
it's not as bad as it sounds :)
trust me
only three subjects after all :D
and no 4u english exam either

thanks for clearing that up guys
good luck everyone

Heks12

Meeeeee
HSC
hey joe van, haha

hope everything works out ok! It seems like ur safe. Man u must have been freakin' out!

Cya on Mon, bright and early :eek:

HSC
N/A
Hold on hold on hold on...

glitterfairy does 10 units (and 4 subjects), therefore she is eligible for A UAI mark

in a scenario, glitterfairy does reasonably well in EE2, EE1, Eng Adv, Gen Maths, Ancient History, but crashes Textiles and Design. Will the Textiles pull her UAI mark down?

--edit--
ahh... hold on...

After reading this thread for the third time, I FINALLY get it... ok, I'm screwed :'( Although on the bright side, Veck is fine because they do 12 units :)

Last edited:

Veck

glitterfairy said:
After reading this thread for the third time, I FINALLY get it... ok, I'm screwed :'(
ahh it's ok, four unit english counts for a lot, as long as you've gone well for your other subjects, which are good, then there shouldn't be too much of a drag down. Good luck

glitterfairy said:
Veck is fine because they do 12 units :)
and Veck is a he :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)