Question (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
Lol at the 5 hour maths paper created from past Q10 questions.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Charlesr

HSC
This cant be right but
sinx = 0
therefore m could be... ANYTHING?
too simple i assume

stormz89

HSC
0 < m < 1

if you draw the two graphs you'll see it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Charlesr said:
This cant be right but
sinx = 0
therefore m could be... ANYTHING?
too simple i assume
0 isn't part of the domain

stormz89 said:
0 < m < 1

if you draw the two graphs you'll see it.
yeah thats correct because the gradient of the sin curve at 0 is 1, so, m has the be less than 1 and greater than 0 because thats the domain

Last edited:

Charlesr

HSC
ofcourse, here we see were I will lose all my marks
Reading the question

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Azreil said:
For the question:
"For which values m does the equation sinx = mx have a solution in the domain 0 < x < pi ",
would we have to show working? I don't know the mark value of this part of the question. It's question 5ai) in http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/maths/2u/1152574997_2006_Mathematics_HSC.pdf
if you wanted to have a look at the whole thing.

For this question, you really have to refer back to the question earlier on.

Since you found the tangent of the y=sinx to be y=x, if the gradient is larger than 1, no line will touch the graph y=sinx.

so 0 < m < 1

Azreil

HSC
So would you just have to say "as shown in above" or something? I understood the answer, I just didn't understand how you would verbalise the thought process that got you there.

stormz89

HSC
the good thing about maths is that you wouldn't actually need to verbalise this answer.

Because it says for which values. If it said show which values or something like that you would to have to explain.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Azreil said:
So would you just have to say "as shown in above" or something? I understood the answer, I just didn't understand how you would verbalise the thought process that got you there.
That Or:

you can show what you have done in the earlier question over again as the question that you are asking doesn't include the word "hence".

I would personally draw a small sketch myself and show them that they tangent is at m=1 and tell them how m is between 0 and 1.

It shouldn't be too hard to get full mark in that as long as you don't contradict yourself...

Azreil

HSC
lyounamu said:
That Or:

you can show what you have done in the earlier question over again as the question that you are asking doesn't include the word "hence".

I would personally draw a small sketch myself and show them that they tangent is at m=1 and tell them how m is between 0 and 1.

It shouldn't be too hard to get full mark in that as long as you don't contradict yourself...
Thanks Namu and all ;]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)