Questions about getting holiday job (1 Viewer)

Cara.Mel

Banned
HSC
Hi, I have a few questions that I can't see answered on the first page, can't be bothered looking through older posts :)

So I am 18 and I want *any* part time/casual job for christmas that will hopefully carry on into uni as well. I would be happy pretty much anywhere I think

1. Are fast food places worth it? (some people say to avoid them..)
2. When you apply for somewhere, where do you go? Is it just the customer service desk (that place where you return things I'm assuming?) or somewhere else. And you say 'please give this to the manager', right? (The coles/safeway online applications have yielded 0 results between them after 1.5 years, there are never ads in the local papers :K)
3. When printing out resumes, do you write a cover letter as well?
4. My shopping centre contains: coles, safeway, kmart, the warehouse, 3x fast food and then lots of little shops. Is it worthwhile applying at the little ones as well eg bakers delight, wendys, video ezy, newsagent etc? Also should I apply at other shopping centres (I can't drive yet but)
5. If I was lucky and ended up getting a job, would I be able to start working after my last VCE exam (november 22) or would they expect me to rock up earlier. I don't have time to rock up earlier beyond weekend nights
6. On resume, should I put my study scores to my subjects I did last year on them, or leave them just as A+
7. Should I hand in resumes etc on the weekend, or on a week day when the head honchos are more likely to be present

Think that's all ^_^ If I think of any thing else I'll edit them in
Thank you :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
1. Some fast food places are dodgy as, others are fine. A safe bet would be something like Maccas or Subway. Check out the joint before you apply, is it dirty? Do the employees look happy? Do the customers look happy? Is it crowded? Deserted? You could ask these sorts of things about any other place as well.

2. Customer service desk is always a good start, ask to speak to the manager on duty. NEVER hand your resume to the check out chick. In today's online age of job applications (fucking hate them), you might be better off going to smaller places. Coles and Woolworths will probably tell you to get your Internet on about it.

3. It might be a good idea especially if you're applying to a specialty store like a chemist or a mobile phone dealer for example. It isn't necessary in all cases though.

4. Smaller places can be good sources of jobs as well. Bear in mind that some of them might be family owned (ie they already have all the labour they need) and if the place is really really small, they probably won't need or can't afford anyone else on the team. Use common sense to suss out which places would conceivably be hiring. Since you can't drive, only apply to other shopping centres if you can access them by public transport and/or con a family member into it.

5. Depends who you work for. Ask them about it as soon as you can and let them know why you can't work until then.

6. Specific scores can't hurt. Don't go overboard, they don't care about the Best Colouring In Job Award you got in year 3, but your most recent academic results should suffice.

7. AFAIK day doesn't matter too much. Pick the time of day well, though. Don't rock up if it's hectic and busy, you will more than likely get the brush off.

astarael

strawberryqueen
HSC
i disagree in regards to the cover letter - i think you should always have one.

in it you should include things like availabilities (e.g. when your VCE exams finish) and also the type of position you're applying for (e.g. cashier, nightfiller, etc.). you can pretty much make up one generic one and just substitute in names of the different businesses so it won't take you oodles of time. also, if possible, i think it makes a good impression if you can ring the store ahead of time and ask for the name of the store manager or service manager or whoever you would be reporting to so you can address it properly.

pretty much what you need to include is relevant skills/experience, your availabilities and any other important info e.g. travel plans - it might look bad if you have a giant chuck of time during which you'll be unavailable but its better they know that before they hire you rather than finding out later and them getting pissed off/firing you. if you don't wanna give exact dates just say you have tentative travel plans (or whatever) during the particular month/s and will be able to advise of exact dates closer to that time.

also, if you're going on schoolies or toolies or whatever make mention of that somewhere even if you think it would reduce your chance of being employed (don't have to specifically say you're going on schoolies though lol) - would be über annoying if you've booked accomodation and shit and then find out you wouldn't be able to be rostered off during that time - you don't wanna end up having to make a choice between a holiday that's already been paid for and a new job.

btw, these are just my suggestions - i've been successful in getting the only two jobs i've ever applied for so i guess you could say i have a 100% success rate lol, but that might just be luck or whatever. but in my experience, i don't know of anyone who has ever been called back for an interview without handing in a cover letter.

here's an example:
your contact details - you can align this to the right as well if you want
e.g. John Smtih
123 Fake Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

their contact details which should include (if possible) their name and position title
e.g. Jane Citizen,
Service manager
City Newsagent
987 Fake Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

01/01/2007 (date)

Dear Sir or Madam,

OR

Ms. Citizen, (if you're using their name i wouldn't include a salutation - you can but i didn't, and if it's a female, use "Ms.")

RE: POSITION OF CASUAL EMPLOYMENT, DURING DEC/JAN PERIOD

I am writing to apply for a position of casual employment, during the summer school holidays (mid November through to the end of February) at insert name of company here. I believe that I am a suitable candidate as I have the following attributes, qualities and experience.

For the past four months, I have been employed at (previous employer), as a casual employee (cashier). In this position I have gained valuable experience in customer service and working with others. I am skilled in operating a cash register (including processing EFTPOS transactions), customer service and have been able to employ a variety of other skills such as organization and initiative. Prior to my experience at previous employer, I maintained a position of casual employment at another previous employer for 30 months. if you can, make a point of how long you've held another previous position - the longer you held it, the more reliable you look.

As I have gained experience in the retail industry, including point of sale experience, I believe I could make a valuable contribution to insert name of company here. I would, of course, be more than willing to learn and new skills necessary in order to become an asset to insert name of company here.

I am applying for a Christmas casual position for the school summer holiday period, during which time, my availability would be on a full time basis. The school holiday period commences mid November. My availability for the school holidays finishes close to the end of February after which time my availability would be only part time. I also have overseas travel plans from January 6th through to January 26th, during which time I would be unavailable.

I look forward to speaking with you further regarding my application. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to arrange a suitable time.

Yours sincerely,

signature *scribble scribble*
your name

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
^darl you've spent a 'lot' of effort in that reply, bravo, i applaud you.

fast food places are a big no, unless you're desperate for a job, knowing that you can do so much better than that. i say try officework, woolies, big w, those giant chain retail places. they generally pay ok and if you're willing to do weekends, you get penalty rates. what's more, get yourself a rsa and rcg, they will put you in a advantagise minority.

try applying somewhere close, the last thing you want is spend a couple of hours on the road. if all else fails, try telemarketing jobs. they are very high pressured jobs, but pays very well + commission.

if you want some recommendations on specific places, i can hook you up. pm me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)