Questions about UNSW Arts & Law (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I've had a few questions arise in the last couple of days, so I thought I'd post them all up here. If you know the answer to any, or you can direct me to someone who might know (UNSW contact number, etc), thanks in advance.

1. Is it possible to do one major/one minor in the Arts component of Law/Arts?

UNSW Handbook Program - Arts/Law - 4760

The link above says that there's 84 UOC for Arts & Social Science Courses in Arts/Law. That means 54 UOC for one major, and 30 UOC for electives. 30 free UOC for just electives seems a bit excessive to me, considering that 36 UOC is required for a minor. Does anyone know if it is possible to take 6 extra UOC and complete one 54 UOC major and one 36 UOC major (rather than 30 UOC in electives)?

2. Is it possible to major in psychology in the Arts component of Law/Arts?

UNSW Handbook Program - Arts/Law - 4760

From reading the above link and looking around the 2010 Handbook site, it looks as though a major in Psychology is only possible via Science/Law.

However, it is possible to major in psychology in a single BA:

UNSW Handbook Program - Arts - 3403

So does anyone know why isn't majoring in psychology possible in Arts/Law?

A psychology major requires 60 UOC, which only means that there would be only 24 UOC left for electives (which doesn't seem like much of an issue anyway). I'm mostly asking this because I have an interest in psychology, yet I'd prefer taking my remaining electives from Arts, rather than Science.

3. Why does Arts/Law require 64 UOC of law electives, compared to other Combined Law courses that only require 58 UOC of law electives?

For example, Art Theory/Laws and Science/Laws:

UNSW Handbook Program - Art Theory/Laws - 4703
UNSW Handbook Program - Science / Law - 4770

Both those only require 58 UOC, while Arts requires 64 UOC (in other words, 6 UOC for one more law elective).

The main reason I am asking this is because if 58 UOC in law electives is satisfactory to gain a LLB in these other combinations, why does Arts/Law require 64 UOC in law electives? Particularly when that extra 6 UOC could raise the Arts to 90 UOC, which would be enough to do one major (54) and one minor (36).

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)