Questions + Incredibly low liberal studies and 'bach arts and science' cutoffs!! (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I can't believe how much the liberal studies one has fallen, and even moreso: a course offering laws and economics: bach arts and science.
78 uai plus vacancies for a bach arts and science course is very low. It almost is making me consider not taking up the subject.
Any chance I could get some extra consideration with advanced courses if I take the new bach arts and science course, with a 92.75 uai

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Hmm, 78 for B Arts & Sciences, that's even lower than I thought (I predicted low 80's some time ago). You should be able to get into liberal studies with that UAI, no need to bother with the new degree.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I don't want to get into bach of liberal studies :p I was just exclaiming at how much it fell.
I'm thinking about bach of economics and social sciences. I'll call up usyd to find out how little economics and stuff i do in it.
The degrees discription confuses me

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
I can't believe a course offering laws and economics: bach arts and science.
78 uai plus vacancies for a bach arts and science course is very low. It almost is making me consider not taking up the subject.

I got offered this course. The low UAI is making me think too! Did ppl just not know about the course? Not likely.......But Its either BArts&Sci or private college = $$$$$

Now to decide whether I want to defer or not!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hmmm really hard descision to make damn it! I mean the subjects offered in the course are mighty swell, but the low uai is making my spleen quiver. I am just thinking that job employers may write off the course though due to the low uai.
However, I would learn law. Something that no other course I can get into offers with 92.75

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Even if you dont think about it as 'what will my employers think of this degree', such a broad degree allows a great oportunity for you to expand your mind in a number of ways.......I know a few ppl who work in public service and one who works high up in admin at a Melbourne uni, and they all say that the best managers they ever had were all Literature majors.......nothing to do with management but obviously their broad education helps............

stazi

Nightman
HSC
what uai did you get cactus?
I'm thinking hard about that bach eco and social sciences degree - that's really broad.
However the law part of bach arts and sciences is making me think :(

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
if the cut off goes up by the time youre looking for employment it shud be fine

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm faced with the biggest decision of my life. Shit shit shit.
It's come down to this
Marketing - always had a huge interest in. I'm creative, energetic: the ideal marketing guy. Plus I'm willing to sleep my way to the top with CEO's
vs
Law - since that grisham movie came out ages ago (the rainmaker?) when I was young, I've wanted to be a lawyer. Whilst this degree wont get me to become a lawyer, I am interested in law.
---------------------------------
Oh and it's not given that I'll get bach economics and social sciences, but oh well. It fell this year. 91.1 from memory. 92.75 should be enough given last round trends (if you dont look at 03 for the same subjects
---------------------------------

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hehehe then deffinately do it :) itlll be a great course.
I just only discovered a better one today :(

berghousemaa

HSC
You really shouldn't worry about the cut off. I got 93.35 and I'm doing arts and sci. You don't know the make up of the course either. There could be lots of people in the 90's doing it like you and I. Anyway the cut off is certain to rise in the next few years. By the way, employers in no way look at the cut offs for courses to judge their value. They look at the uni, and Sydney ranks up there, then they look at what is involved in the course and this course is very attractive to a wide range of employers.

Anyway, its not like you have to spend your classes with morons who could only manage, gasp, 78. Your classes will be with people who do law, arts, science and economics. All very good degrees and faculties. Stop being so obsessed obout the cut off, no one of any importance cares about it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i dont care about spending it with morons. They're not morons if they can get a uai of 78. Thats top 1/4 of the state. In fact I wouldnt care if I spent it with below thirties. The cutoff is just making me worry about my choice.
The uni set the uai cutoff really low (thus the vacancy category being open), which makes me feel like they dont value the course

berghousemaa

HSC
i dont care about spending it with morons. They're not morons if they can get a uai of 78. Thats top 1/4 of the state. In fact I wouldnt care if I spent it with below thirties. The cutoff is just making me worry about my choice.
The uni set the uai cutoff really low (thus the vacancy category being open), which makes me feel like they dont value the course

Sorry, I thought you were worried about being in a class not dominated by very intelligent people, i misunderstood your concern.
About your concern that the uni doesn't take it seriously there are some things to point out.
It's not really a whole new course. It's really just a new way of structuring you're degree because they're not introducing any new subjects. And since the university takes arts, law, economics and science seriously i think you can rest assured that the uni is taking it seriously.
Also another possible reason for the low cut off is the relatively large cohort size. I think I can back this up because in the enrolment timetable their are two times associated for arts and sciences as opposed to the typical 1 with most other courses.

stazed

HSC
N/A
The university's do not "set" cut-offs! At least it's definitely not supposed to happen.

The process works whereby the university says "we have 3000 places this year for B Arts & Sciences". Lets say only 2500 people apply. Then they are all given places, and the lowest UAI out of those candidates would be called the "cut-off", and the course is listed as having vacancies.

It's all based on supply and demand (quote stolen from a BOS forumer). If 4000 people with UAI's all over 90 apply for this course which only has 3000 places, then the cut-off will end up being in the 90's.

The university does not set a cut-off, the cut-off is a result of the offers process.

However! Sydney university may well have received applicants with UAI's below 78, but decided that, in the event of vacancies, 78 was the lowest UAI they were willing to accept, and they would rather have the course half-full than full of people below this level. Hence, do not take this as "the university doesn't value the course", because the university simply runs a course, supplies places, and in case of vacancies will set a very limit to which they will accept applicants. And of course this "bottom" limit would be low, they do want to fill their places after all.

Hope this eases some of the pain you're feeling. All that matters is that you're happy doing your course! Do not be pressured into thinking you must do a course with an entry level 0.05 below yours.

Peace ;)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Hey guys lay off the 'moron' label lol I got 80.20 and I'm not an idiot......just didnt work hard in Yr 12.

stazed

HSC
N/A
Cactus said:
Hey guys lay off the 'moron' label lol I got 80.20 and I'm not an idiot......just didnt work hard in Yr 12.
So you're not a moron you're just lazy.

I reckon that sums me up VERY well :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)