Questions regarding Design (Visual Communication) (1 Viewer)

spillargroove

HSC
I am in the process of finalising my personal statement but I would like to know if there is anyone who has done this before, being a non-school leaver from another university and successfully transferring to UTS? Because I am at university already, do I have to go for an interview? Are there any pointers you may have to give me with my Personal Statement?

I am determined about my future at UTS, I just really hope The Design Faculty does too.

Calla

HSC
spillargroove said:
I am in the process of finalising my personal statement but I would like to know if there is anyone who has done this before, being a non-school leaver from another university and successfully transferring to UTS? Because I am at university already, do I have to go for an interview? Are there any pointers you may have to give me with my Personal Statement?

I am determined about my future at UTS, I just really hope The Design Faculty does too.
Hey, i'm also submitting a personal statement and working on a portfolio at the moment....the advice i can give you for your portfolio, is to demonstrate the process involved with your designs. For e.g if you're showcasing a logo you have previously designed - include all the drafts that have lead up to the final rendering in order to show how your design has evolved and how you think.
This is what the administration dude said at the open day.

hope that helps

spillargroove

HSC
I think for non-school leavers who aren't at University will need to show a portfolio as the admin people I spoke to at Open Day said to me I need at least a Credit Average to be eligible... since I'm doing a similar course at another university.

Well it's been a few days since the statement deadline, how did your statement go and how long was it?

Last edited:

Calla

HSC
spillargroove said:
I think for non-school leavers who aren't at University will need to show a portfolio as the admin people I spoke to at Open Day said to me I need at least a Credit Average to be eligible... since I'm doing a similar course at another university.

Well it's been a few days since the statement deadline, how did your statement go and how long was it?
It went good. I did around 1400 words, mostly because i didn't wanna overwhelm the reader or bore them either. Also i added subheadings to break it up and make it more readable- for e.g i broke up the "interest and knowledge " section into artistic aptitude, passion, literacy and articulation, determination - and elaborated under those headings.

How did yours go.....btw when do we recieve notification upon being accepted for an interview??

spillargroove

HSC
I did quite similar to what you did. I also broke up the sub-headings and elaborated under each. It's funny though because after you sent it, your looking, "Should I have written more?", "Should I have done this or that?". I mean I took into consideration that they are going to read a fair few statements so I just cut straight to the point more or less like a cover letter.

I think we find out sometime in the second half of November, early December because for students like myself, our second semester marks have not yet be finalised (since we're still doing the work...).

Calla

HSC
spillargroove said:
I did quite similar to what you did. I also broke up the sub-headings and elaborated under each. It's funny though because after you sent it, your looking, "Should I have written more?", "Should I have done this or that?". I mean I took into consideration that they are going to read a fair few statements so I just cut straight to the point more or less like a cover letter.

I think we find out sometime in the second half of November, early December because for students like myself, our second semester marks have not yet be finalised (since we're still doing the work...).
Same, i'm in my first year doing b.business at uts...how bout u?

spillargroove

HSC
I'm doing the same course (vis comm not business) at another university. I'm looking for a more serious but still fun and rewarding course at UTS.

Last edited:

Calla

HSC
Yeah, i've made Bachelor of design at UNSW my second preference if i dont get into uts.....and if i dont get into UNSW , ive also applied to enmore tafe (graphic design) just as back up.

Im thinking of applying at CATC..would that be a better choice for graphic design than enmore tafe?

hellomike

HSC
The thing with Design is don't settle or go to different institutions that offer Design because if you want a solid foundation of work and theory than find out where to study it best. I'm only saying this because to be frank, some institutions don't know what Design is and they steer you in a complete strange direction where you may end up with some piece of paper called a degree and a decent job if at all.

Stick with Enmore Tafe and go to UTS later on though I am sure you will be successful at UTS. Though if you join a bit of painting, drawing fine arts based than one year of UNSW should do good.

With Visual Communication it's about choices and where you want to go or how far you want your career to go. You really have two questions: how far do you want to go with your work and how successful you want to become. Do you want to become an average so called graphic designer or one whose working for a successful agency or overseas. This is why there are so many so called graphic designers when really, there's only a handful which are good.

Don't know about you but I want and aiming to be in that minority.

Anyway, I hope you do good and I might see you next year. My interview is tommorow...! gosh...

hellomike

HSC
I just got back from the interview. I think I did well - it was a general discussion of why/what you like about VisComm, interests. If I'm right and maybe you caught it but ultimately, the application is assessed through your personal statement 70% and your academic marks 30%... I thought the interview was sorta like an assessment interview...

Calla

HSC
Same here....i had my interview today and i thought i would get in there and spend the whole time explaining my ideas but i didnt exactly have enough time. I took my draft book with me and they particularly liked my drawings...they also asked me if i liked the idea of writing essays , since this is an inherent part of the course - which i said yes to.

hellomike

HSC
What do you think about how it says a mark or score from your interview? The two assessors didn't write down anything...

There is one thing I really look forward to if I gain entry - a semester or full year student exchange at Central St. Martins in London, boy oh boy :):):)

Calla

HSC
hellomike said:
What do you think about how it says a mark or score from your interview? The two assessors didn't write down anything...

There is one thing I really look forward to if I gain entry - a semester or full year student exchange at Central St. Martins in London, boy oh boy :):):)
What do u mean mark or score...i didnt know they scored us. The only thing i noticed was that they had my name written down and they were just writing stuff next to it , or circling it etc. Otherwise i was trying not to look too nosy by staring at what they were writing down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)