quick q (1 Viewer)

erm

HSC
I'm doing combined engineering/commerce @ unsw.

When I come to the enrolment page there is a list asking me to choose a major (or leave it undeclared). I can't seem to find "flexible first year" engineering on the list so should I just leave my submission as "undeclared"?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
u can probably leave it undeclared till the end of first year, when you will have to decide on what engineering u wanna do.

TheKey

HSC
Don't worry about your program as long as it lets you enrol into the subjects you want. (I will be doing my last semester of eng/com this year and I still have not selected my major in commerce..it just becomes implied from the commerce subjects I took)

Do you have any idea what engineering you want to do now? If not you should mix up your first year with some core eng subjects and some core commerce subjects instead of some weird electives.

erm

HSC
Don't worry about your program as long as it lets you enrol into the subjects you want. (I will be doing my last semester of eng/com this year and I still have not selected my major in commerce..it just becomes implied from the commerce subjects I took)

Do you have any idea what engineering you want to do now? If not you should mix up your first year with some core eng subjects and some core commerce subjects instead of some weird electives.
Thanks that was very helpful.

As a matter of fact I haven't chosen my engineering major yet...so let me understand what you're saying: instead of choosing useless/weird engineering electives in the second semester, I should instead choose 3 commerce subjects?

So essentially I can just do the subjects in any order I wish (of course making sure i have the pre-requisites) throughout the year? Is this what you did, and are there any disadvantages to not following the plan outlined in the handbook?

EDIT: I noticed you comment that this will be your last semester. Did you overload on subjects because I thought the normal duration of the degree was 5.5yrs.

TheKey

HSC
When I started (in 2004) I don't think we had flexible engineering so for Electrical engineering so we had a pretty much fixed plan for the first 3 years on what subjects we need to take. In your case now it seems you only have 5 subjects in year 1 that you must take and the other 3 are electives. So yes if I am in your position I would take some core commerce subjects like microeconomics...

Also yes you can do the subjects in any order you like, you just need to keep track of what pre-requisites you will need in order to do the core subjects for next year. When I started I was essentially following the electrical engineering plan for the first 2 years. Then I went into eng/comm degree (via UAC) and started my first commerce subject. After that I overloaded a few times and just ignored the official program so I was doing my engineering core subjects and filling the rest with whatever commerce subjects fit into my timetable :). If anything it makes things much easier if you mix commerce and engineering subjects in the same semester, it gives you less hours per week and allows you to have more time to do other things.

In the end even though I overloaded a few times I decided to leave it to 5.5 years as it would have been too hectic to do my thesis while overloading. So now I only have my thesis and one more commerce subject I need to do before I finish...nice relaxing way to finish...if I didn't also have to work part time lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)