Quick Question about the impact of ranks for number 2 rank (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey I just wanted to ask a quick question

Just say you Rank 2nd at the end of the year...and its real close between one and two ranks, but after that there is a massive gap.

What happens to the 2nd place persons moderated assment mark if the number 1 rank person absolutely bombs the HSC? and assuming 2nd rank still goes well

Rank 2's exam mark will attribute to Rank 1 moderated Assessment mark, but what will happen to rank 2's moderated mark?? will it severely be reduced?? I dont understand this bit..

(For example:

Rank 1 Exam = 60 Assessment mark = 90
Rank 2 Exam = 90 Assessment Mark = 88
Does that mean Rank 2's MAM will be reduced all the way down to the second highest exam mark? in this case 60?...so his HSC mark will be the average of 90 and 60?

Surely not?

Lovelyapples

Banned
HSC
Hey I just wanted to ask a quick question

Just say you Rank 2nd at the end of the year...and its real close between one and two ranks, but after that there is a massive gap.

What happens to the 2nd place persons moderated assment mark if the number 1 rank person absolutely bombs the HSC? and assuming 2nd rank still goes well

Rank 2's exam mark will attribute to Rank 1 moderated Assessment mark, but what will happen to rank 2's moderated mark?? will it severely be reduced?? I dont understand this bit..

(For example:

Rank 1 Exam = 60 Assessment mark = 90
Rank 2 Exam = 90 Assessment Mark = 88
Does that mean Rank 2's MAM will be reduced all the way down to the second highest exam mark? in this case 60?...so his HSC mark will be the average of 90 and 60?

Surely not?
Yes.

You are writing saying Rank one will get your mark of 90. However he will keep his mark of 60. Therefore rank 1 gets 75.

You however, will keep 90 as your external mark, and depending if anyone does better than yuo, your moderated marks will be between the range

HSC
Really!! How is that fair though?
So if first place bombs out, your mark is pretty much screwed...assuming that his bombed exam mark is still the second place exam mark...

Yes but i will keep my 90, but if the second highest exam mark is only 60, would i then get that as my Moderated assessment mark? so then HSC mark is 75 for me aswell....

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The gap between first and second was 2 marks and this will be maintained - that is why marks and not ranks are submitted to the BOS so that they can not only have the rank but the gap between the ranks.

As a result the second ranked person will still have an assessment mark about 2 behind first so:

Assuming that the 2nd ranked person had the top exam mark:

1 - (60+90)/2 = 75
2 - (90+88)/2 = 89

Top ranked student gets the top exam mark as their assessment mark but the rest of the ranks are worked out preserving the relative gaps between the students as well as the rank order.

Shadowless

HSC
The gap between first and second was 2 marks and this will be maintained - that is why marks and not ranks are submitted to the BOS so that they can not only have the rank but the gap between the ranks.

As a result the second ranked person will still have an assessment mark about 2 behind first so:

Assuming that the 2nd ranked person had the top exam mark:

1 - (60+90)/2 = 75
2 - (90+88)/2 = 89

Top ranked student gets the top exam mark as their assessment mark but the rest of the ranks are worked out preserving the relative gaps between the students as well as the rank order.
A very simplified version but this is essentially what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)