Quick Question (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Using this for quick questions, thought I'd keep it on one page. Ask a question, with a relevant number (after the last one) and the answer referring to the question asked. I'll keep this updated I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symmetric encryption
1. Uses the same key for both encryption/decryption. Is this a public or private key?

A: symmetric encryption is private key encryption, because you have to keep the keys private... thats how i remember it. public key is when you can distribute the encryption key publicly because you don't use it for the decryption process

Check digit
2. What is a check digit? How's it used?

A:

Data transmission
3. Example of Parallel transmission? When is it used?

A:

Conversion:
4. BHP Billiton decides to replace their existing computer system with a new one. They have offices in Melbourne, London, Perth, Johannesburg, Santiago, Singapore, Shanghai, Houston and The Hague. They ask you to suggest a conversion method for them to use. Justify your response..

A: pilot conversion. you could trial the new system in one of the offices over a period of time. depending on the result of the evaluation you could then deploy it in the remaining offices.

it should be noted that you could argue a case for direct, parallel or phased.

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Makro said:
Using this for quick questions, thought I'd keep it on one page. Ask a question, with a relevant number (after the last one) and the answer referring to the question asked. I'll keep this updated I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check digit
2. What is a check digit? How's it used?

A: A check digit is used in error detection. I think it's used in Checksum?

Data transmission
3. Example of Parallel transmission? When is it used?

A: When several bits need to be sent at the same time.
Conversion:
4. BHP Billiton decides to replace their existing computer system with a new one. They have offices in Melbourne, London, Perth, Johannesburg, Santiago, Singapore, Shanghai, Houston and The Hague. They ask you to suggest a conversion method for them to use. Justify your response..

A:

Haha i dunno why i chose BHP Billiton...

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
Conversion:

A:

Haha i dunno why i chose BHP Billiton...
pilot conversion. you could trial the new system in one of the offices over a period of time. depending on the result of the evaluation you could then deploy it in the remaining offices.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
grendel said:
pilot conversion. you could trial the new system in one of the offices over a period of time. depending on the result of the evaluation you could then deploy it in the remaining offices.

Definitely- they wouldn't give you such a vague scenario without more detail as to how important the system is, whether it is financially viable to use different implementation methods, purpose of the system, etc...

I'm inclined to think for large organisations, pilot is the way to go since it gives them the opportunity to trial it out if possible in one part of the organisation; although if it was something which needs everyone to be involved in, I would probably lean towards parallel which is costlier (and takes up so many ppls' time) but ensures it can cope with the load.

noturningback

HSC
I have a question
When is everyone's exam date for this?
A book that I have states 28-29th however I believe that mine is on the 30th

noturningback

HSC
Thanks, yeah I thought it was the 30th
Just want to make sure, for peace of mind.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
For the answers to Q2 + Q3, I'm still a little unsure. I actually don't know these answers that's why I asked.

Check digit refers to one of the 4 validation rules. List check, type check, range check, check digit.

for Q3, What's an example of it's use, you answered when, but a real example? They say serial is used for peripheral devices.

This is more for definition type questions, rather than scenarios, I think they're better suited in the "Study thread".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)