Quick Question (1 Viewer)

ameher

HSC
Hey guys,

This is probably a stupid question but i was curious to know if a subject requires passing the final examination to pass the unit, does this mean that our raw mark for that exam for example has to be above 50/100? or is there considerable scaling in which we can actually score below 50/100 and pass?

Also what are the grade distributions like at macquarie? eg i've heard that 10% get a HD or a D, 20% get a credit, 40% get a pass, and 10% get a pc is this correct?

Thanks guys for ur help

X

xeuyrawp

Hey guys,

This is probably a stupid question but i was curious to know if a subject requires passing the final examination to pass the unit, does this mean that our raw mark for that exam for example has to be above 50/100? or is there considerable scaling in which we can actually score below 50/100 and pass?
It's up to the convener.

I would say some units require you to pass the exam, but not most. Look at the study guide for that, or let us know which subject and we can tell you.

Also what are the grade distributions like at macquarie? eg i've heard that 10% get a HD or a D, 20% get a credit, 40% get a pass, and 10% get a pc is this correct?
That's not a quick question. :p

Again, it depends on the convener.

In theory, conveners at Macquarie don't mark to have any sort of bell-curve distribution, however they're encouraged to set papers to do so. In practice, both the number of students and the way conveners mark subjects means that there is usually a bell-curve.

It's very rarely 10% to get an HD, though. I remember an older user here posting the usual distribution, and it's more like <5% for HD.

ameher

HSC
thanks for that champ.

im mainly interested in ECON110: Macroeconomic Principles, and Law 114 Jurisprudence.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Lecturers have told me that attendance is often a determinant if you are on the borderline for pass/fail, credit/distinction etc. So it is always beneficial to attend lectures and tutorials, even if you feel that you are not learning enough from them.

Monstar

HSC
Its nearly always that Econ/Accg/Fin/Mktg require the student to pass the said final exam.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I can't remember too many marketing ones where you didn't need to pass the final exam. I don't like the notion personally as it rewards people who can regurgitate ROTE learning. Exams are weighted too much in marketing imo (50-60%), individual case studies would indicate to the lecturer the relative level of knowledge between students.

dolbinau

HSC
Lecturers have told me that attendance is often a determinant if you are on the borderline for pass/fail, credit/distinction etc. So it is always beneficial to attend lectures and tutorials, even if you feel that you are not learning enough from them.
How can they tell if you attend lectures?

X

xeuyrawp

I can't remember too many marketing ones where you didn't need to pass the final exam. I don't like the notion personally as it rewards people who can regurgitate ROTE learning. Exams are weighted too much in marketing imo (50-60%), individual case studies would indicate to the lecturer the relative level of knowledge between students.
It's an issue of practicalities; they simply find it hard to assess students any other way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)