Quote page number in essay? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Do you need to write page number for every quote ? Or is just the scene fine?

umbreller

HSC
Uni Grad
Lmao never written page number in my life. Just contextualise it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There might be a need to actually reference what scene you got a particular quote from in the analysis of a play, however, in a book, it is not required. Ask your teacher for confirmation if you are still feeling unsure

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Never wrote a page number in my essays during Years 11 and 12 (and heck, my essays had an overload of textual evidence - tonnes of quotes + techniques).

Never wrote a scene number or act number in my Year 12 Mod B Hamlet essays either.

lunaretta

HSC
In the actual HSC, you don't need to provide page number. It's probably better to contextualize because the markers won't necessarily know off the top of their head what you're referring to. For something like Shakespeare, act/scene number can be useful to provide context, (i.e. Shakespeare immediately shows in Act 1 Scene 2 the preoccupation with deception, using repetition as Hamlet proclaims 'Seems madam? nay it is! I know not 'seems'') but it is no means necessary. However, school marking is a different beast, so check with your teacher or head of department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)