• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Racism and discrimination (1 Viewer)

proflayton

HSC
I have applied for several jobs and decided to do a little experiment.

The Mill Hotel for example
The management here discriminate:

they only hire hot girls and good looking males
they don't let males work in gaming
and they discriminate against non-anglo saxon

I put in 2 resumes, one with a girl with an english name and one with a lebanese name
the lebanese one got no replies but had 4 years experience in bankstown sports
the aussie girl had no experience and worked at maccas
she dropped out of school in year 10 and got given an interview time
i made up both candidates!

A hairdresser in Panania:

I called and rang up for a hairdressing position and told them my name was Ching
and they told me the job was taken

I called tomorow and put on a girly accent and told them my name is kate
and booked an interview time

I wished they could at least tell the truth.

turntaker

HSC

I called and rang up for a hairdressing position and told them my name was Ching
So original...

proflayton

HSC
I don't like it, I had more experience and then i made up a candidate with a aussie name amy lloyd and she dropped out of school and worked at maccas and she gets so much interest! TRUE you should try this experiment yourself.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Still so sad to believe that after all these decades (even centuries) racial equality is yet to exist on a universal scale

bangladesh

HSC
Regardless of whether or not this is a troll post, this issue really is a huge factor when getting a job and no matter how much people deny its existence, it really does exist. A blonde girl has a higher chance of employment in retail than an ethnic guy at any given time.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Regardless of whether or not this is a troll post, this issue really is a huge factor when getting a job and no matter how much people deny its existence, it really does exist. A blonde girl has a higher chance of employment in retail than an ethnic guy at any given time.
i don't mean a troll post but how OP trolled the business.

it's sad because i am black and i probably won't be able to find a job :(. better go open up a 7/11

proflayton

HSC
It's not a troll post. I actually did make several email accounts and created different people. And reply to ads on seek, gumtree, the torch newspaper and even phoned ads in the classified.
The panania hairdresser is called Krimped Hair and Beauty
The following I have tried and gotten two different responses COMPLETELY different responses
The Mill Hotel
Krimped Hair and Beauty
Oscars Hotel Bankstown
Padstow RSL
Bankstown RSL
Bankstown Trotting Club

I feel I should change my name when I call instead of calling up a job ad and saying Hi my name is (ethnic name eg. ahmed) say James and I am really interested in the job advertised. And then if they question it when they see your ID just says its a preferred name.
The Panania hairdresser advertised in the torch newspaper and I called it at 10:00am when it first got advertised and she said it was taken.
I called the next day using a different name and got told to come in a 3 for an interview. I didn't even show up because it was a different person.
I also emailed my resume to them at 6:00 in the morning and no reply and used a different email with a aussie name and got a reply.

It's a shame this country discriminates - I mean its fair enough if employers want juniors and discriminate against age but that I don't mind because they need save some money but it annoys me a bit. But to discriminate based on name.

iBibah

HSC

The Mill Hotel for example
The management here discriminate:

they only hire hot girls and good looking males
they don't let males work in gaming
and they discriminate against non-anglo saxon

I put in 2 resumes, one with a girl with an english name and one with a lebanese name
the lebanese one got no replies but had 4 years experience in bankstown sports
the aussie girl had no experience and worked at maccas
she dropped out of school in year 10 and got given an interview time
i made up both candidates!

A hairdresser in Panania:

I called tomorow and put on a girly accent and told them my name is kate
and booked an interview time

I wished they could at least tell the truth.
Basically why I wish my I didn't have a deep lebo accented voice, would ruin me in a phone interview.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's not a troll post. I actually did make several email accounts and created different people. And reply to ads on seek, gumtree, the torch newspaper and even phoned ads in the classified.
The panania hairdresser is called Krimped Hair and Beauty
The following I have tried and gotten two different responses COMPLETELY different responses
The Mill Hotel
Krimped Hair and Beauty
Oscars Hotel Bankstown
Padstow RSL
Bankstown RSL
Bankstown Trotting Club

I feel I should change my name when I call instead of calling up a job ad and saying Hi my name is (ethnic name eg. ahmed) say James and I am really interested in the job advertised. And then if they question it when they see your ID just says its a preferred name.
The Panania hairdresser advertised in the torch newspaper and I called it at 10:00am when it first got advertised and she said it was taken.
I called the next day using a different name and got told to come in a 3 for an interview. I didn't even show up because it was a different person.
I also emailed my resume to them at 6:00 in the morning and no reply and used a different email with a aussie name and got a reply.

It's a shame this country discriminates - I mean its fair enough if employers want juniors and discriminate against age but that I don't mind because they need save some money but it annoys me a bit. But to discriminate based on name.
hahaha fuck man do you live near me? I'm from that exact area.

I've even been in the Torch a couple times (inb4 stalked).

proflayton

HSC
I'm from Revesby mate. I have also need to add the High Flyer hotel condell park and the crown hotel revesby to the list of discrimination.

But to be honest pubs and hotels always hire girls but I honestly don't care who serves me at a pub as long as the service is good. I had a bar girl say to me, how many glasses do you want. After buying a jug of soft drink and I thought that wasn't polite.

With pubs and hotels I made two candidates one a male with experience and one a female with no experience both with english common names
Adam Barclay and the girl was Katie Little. Katie got all replies and was told to call to ask for the manager and Adam got not even a rejection email just no reply.

PakiPrince

HSC
99% of Australians are racist. If it wasn't for the law they would all openly racially abuse.

Why is Australia so behind in this? This racism, for example, rarely occurs in the UK (I've lived there), and the UK is WAYYYYY more multicultural than Australia. Even the US, the racism isn't as strong as Australia. And Canada....well... I think we all know how Canadian society is.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
99% of Australians are racist. If it wasn't for the law they would all openly racially abuse.

Why is Australia so behind in this? This racism, for example, rarely occurs in the UK (I've lived there), and the UK is WAYYYYY more multicultural than Australia. Even the US, the racism isn't as strong as Australia. And Canada....well... I think we all know how Canadian society is.
is that you in the photo? dayum you fine. nohomo

proflayton

HSC
But to be honest I tend to go where I receive good customer service, I have had bad customer service from young hot aussie blonde and good service from a young asian guy.

enoilgam

HSC
Honestly, why is this a surprise? Racism and discrimination have always influenced the recruitment process and frankly, they will continue to do so. It's very unfortunate, but that is just the way things are.

Also, to those who think Australia is racist, I challenge you to look for a job with a foreign name in some European or Asian countries. Good luck - at least Australia has solid EEO legislation.

classicjimbo

HSC
N/A
people being superficial with hiring in hospitality and retail jobs where image is probably their most important investment
oh no how surprising somebody call the feds!!!

people hire people they'd see themselves being friends with who can fit into the workplace

as well if someone seems fobby it wouldn't make sense to hire them for hospitality/retail type jobs because communication skills would be shit

what is surprising about this

Honestly, why is this a surprise? Racism and discrimination have always influenced the recruitment process and frankly, they will continue to do so. It's very unfortunate, but that is just the way things are.

Also, to those who think Australia is racist, I challenge you to look for a job with a foreign name in some European or Asian countries. Good luck - at least Australia has solid EEO legislation.
also that^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)