Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Either you've been smoking something strong or suffered a cradle crash in early life. :rolleyes:

Of course asians are a minority. When did I say they were anything but a minority?

Wtf does census figure prove in your argument? That asians are a minority? Well no shit Einstein....

If you actually scroll back a few pages in this tread, you would see that I've been argueing that minority representation in mainstream Australian tv is badly lacking. Sure not every minority group can get representation if their numbers are too small to be visible, but I would hardly consider asians to be such a small minority that they are invisible. Asians would probably be one of the most visible minority populations in Australia.

Compared with minority representation ie black, jewish, italian etc in the US, Australian media makes no attempt to change the perception that Australia has a 100% homogenious anglo population.

The fact that a noticible segment of people in Australia (racially) are treated as near non-existant (be it for whatever self-justification)(sole representative is the chick from Hi5) by the mainstream Australian media is racism, as it implies asians are not part of the Australian community, and hence posted under this "Racism in Australia" thread.

Either post something relevant to this topic or just don't even bother to stop by. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
If asians were sick of the under-representation of themselves in Australian media, they can easily create ideas of shows and pitch them to the networks. That's one solution.
hmmmm yeh, that would be interesting. but ultimately its up to the networks to either accept or reject the idea.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Supercharged:

Asians do not make up a significant proportion of Australia's population. By making television programs about Asians or Asian culture, or by simply having Asian leading characters, producers wouldn't be able to generate adequate ratings and thus profits.

Please stop comparing Australian television to American television! Firstly, as has been stated, the American population is significantly larger than Australia's and each minority group is consequently larger in number. Therefore, there is less risk and greater potential that a television show withleading characters from a minority group will succeed as the potential for ratings is also increased. This is rather simple, and I am struggling to understand why you don't seem to have grasped it yet...

More importantly, perhaps, is the fact that the shows you use as the basis for your argument either don't convey the exclusive values of that minority group or is different to the circumstances in Australia regarding Asians.
For example, you claim that "Everybody Loves Raymond" is an illustration of the way in which American television represents the Italian minority. However, I don't believe this is so. While the charecters may be Italian (something not necessarily noticeable) the occurances and notions conveyed are those of the mainstream American society. This has been the reason for their [economic] SUCCESS - the goal of television.

With regards to the fact that American television has 'black shows' and actors - this is true. However, the situation with African Americans is completely different to that of Asians! Black culture is extremely popular in America and in Australia. Particularly through music and now movies being black and being apart of that sub-culture is popular, fashionable and appealing. Therefore, of course black shows will increase as blacks and whites will be watching. Once again, I refer you to the concept of ratings and economic success. Asian culture is neither popular or appealing. White guys don't want to be Asian and white gurls don't want to fuck Asian guys - it is different.

HSC
im sure that if the asians did try to pitch a show in and it was rejected and this had occured regulary, their would be some public outcry, ive yet to hear anythign

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
If asians were sick of the under-representation of themselves in Australian media, they can easily create ideas of shows and pitch them to the networks. That's one solution.
But who would want to watch a tv show about maths? :p

HSC
Supercharged... YOU'RE WRONG ALRIGHT. Get over it. No body takes what you're saying realistically because they know that you're just trying to be a pain in the arse.

PS: You stupid asian.

There i included a racial insult so you can vote on this poll and say that you've been targetted.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
While we are at it, how many asians are shown on US television, given that those who identify as asian american were 3.6% of the population of the US.

Also comparing it to african americans isn't really all that useful, considering self identifying African Americans make up 12% of the American population (a very large difference for market influence).

Also the size of the asian population seems to be about that of the homosexual population, how many mainstream, Australian produced shows, have a homosexual main character?

Last edited:

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
TerrbleSpellor said:
Yeh, and there's more gays in Australia then there is Asians.
ahahahaah.

it's only normal that there are asians here, after all asia/australia....all close places you know..

HSC
I'm not sure what you mean. Statistically, there are more gay people in Australian then asians, as 1 in 10 people are gay.

And gays are inextricably related to every people/culture.. So if there was going to be relative representation, they would have men on the weather report going "hi guyzzz its beeen a sssthinking hot day, ohh my bra, it got so hot on the clothes line! oh myyyyy. Exthpect some thowers, followed by a cool ocean breeethe. Oh i think i'll go for a tan in my new pink bikini guythhhs"

K

katie_tully

Let's go back three pages when people actually had to ask what constitutes as an Australian.
The fact that some of you even had to debate that amazes me. Are some of you at such a loss in your arguments that you now feel it's time to argue semantics?

I applaud any Asians in this thread who aren't blinded like supercharged and can see that there isn't a large enough market for asian orientated television in Australia, and that it isn't a representation of "racist Australia".

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
I applaud any Asians in this thread who aren't blinded like supercharged and can see that there isn't a large enough market for asian orientated television in Australia, and that it isn't a representation of "racist Australia".
Racism is just implied. Those shows which are white Australian only are those which we export. Commercial TV relfects popular opinion. Popular opinion prefers White people, pauline hanson, Bec Cartright and the channel 10 news team. This isnt 't over racism, it's just that the market prefers white people.

K

katie_tully

It's because the market IS white people though! The majority of Australians are white..! I'm not racist, but honestly if I turned on my television and was exposed to a lot of Asian orientated television I'd be less inclined to watch it because I can't relate to it.
Ahh ha ha Bec Cartwright. I dare say Dancing with the Stars targets the 25-40 year old, white female demography, or what I like to call the "New Idea demography".
It's not implied racism. It's not white people feeling they are superior over Asian's, thus we hog the commercial television market. It's about television stations wanting to make money, therefore they pander to their largest audience. Their largest audience just happens to be white Australians.

It's like going over seas and arguing this. In Hong Kong, they've got a gazillion more commercial television stations than us. White people are the minority in Hong Kong, thus they are represented on television in that way. I found some television shows targeted at white people whilst I was there, but god it was a tiny fraction. Is that like saying people in Hong Kong are racist, because their television stations pander to the majority of citizens...?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
I'm not racist, but honestly if I turned on my television and was exposed to a lot of Asian orientated television I'd be less inclined to watch it because I can't relate to it.
Maybe you open up your mind for some elitist cultural experiences ;)

I turn on the TV in Australia and I don't relate to anything on commercial TV. I don't really relate to much on commercial TV at all. I mean The new inventors on the ABC. Suddenyl channel 7 have a show along similer lines...just SEXED UP which nasty judges who humiliate people for entertainment value, and some guy colours his hair like a drag queen.

Ahh ha ha Bec Cartwright. I dare say Dancing with the Stars targets the 25-40 year old, white female demography, or what I like to call the "New Idea demography".
It's not implied racism. It's not white people feeling they are superior over Asian's, thus we hog the commercial television market. It's about television stations wanting to make money, therefore they pander to their largest audience. Their largest audience just happens to be white Australians.
Yes they give them what the market wants. They want white people and Pauline Hanson and Bec Cartright.

K

katie_tully

Dude, I don't watch free to air television much at all. Usually I watch ACA so I can laugh at Ray's rants.
I've never watched an episode of Dancing with the Stars. I didn't watch Desperate Housewives, Lost, Home and Away, Neighbours... Actually it's quicker to tell you what I do watch.
News, ACA, The Simpsons, John Safran and then Mythbusters. On Austar I watch Meerkat Manor, America's Next Top Model, the CI channel, Futurama, King of the Hill, Family Guy and Arrested Development.
Thats all. And that's not every day. Honestly, the commercial television market does nothing for me either.

As much as you all want to believe it, I sincerely doubt that commercial television is a reflection of the attitudes of Australians. it's a reflection of commercial networks wanting to make a profit, thus they appeal to the majority of Australians. If 2 million stupid women want to watch Bec Cartwright and Pauline Hanson, then thats what the rest of us have to put up with.
Pauline Hanson hasn't been the poster girl for White Australia in years. Nobody sees her that way anymore, we see her as a public figure who has no real purpose, but so long as channel 7 keeps coming up with shit television formats, she'll always be around.

K

katie_tully

Yeah.... job agencies won't put me on their books because I'm not aboriginal, and I'm not receiving a benefit from centrelink.
I feel so...prejudiced against.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)