Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HSC
Rather than seeing a situation where there is no differentiation between "races" as ideal, I like to think that we'd be better off once we get to a point where people simply don't give a crap. Yes there are *obvious* differences (Often superficial, and almost always overstated), but more often than not it doesn't actually have to be an issue. Skin colour is a prime example, in the grand scheme of things it means precisely dick all, but people still carry on like it matters.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Rather than seeing a situation where there is no differentiation between "races" as ideal, I like to think that we'd be better off once we get to a point where people simply don't give a crap. Yes there are *obvious* differences (Often superficial, and almost always overstated), but more often than not it doesn't actually have to be an issue. Skin colour is a prime example, in the grand scheme of things it means precisely dick all, but people still carry on like it matters.
agreed .

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm not saying there are no differences... I'm just saying that race doesn't really exist, and I think we can teach people to understand this.

For example,
Sparklz said that (roughly) ' there are differences within my race, so it's natural that there'd also be differences between my race and other races'. The problem there is that what comprises a different race cannot be defined, and it is just as likely that the differences between people you associate as being within your race are the same as the differences between you and the people outside of your race because there is no real way to differentiate between the people in your race and that are not in your race.

Last edited:
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm not saying there are no differences... I'm just saying that race doesn't really exist, and I think we can teach people to understand this.
That'd be nice too, but I'm sure it's too much thinking for a lot of people. Maybe apathy can be a stepping stone to understanding, first teach them not to care, then teach them to understand :)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ok ok...lol, listen up, i am from turkey and my boyfriend is english for gods sake, they are seen as totally different, even as enemies for some idiots from both races, do i give a crap? no. will we overcome it? yes we will. I'm saying we have some differences because we were brought up totally differently, this applies to us, but may not to all, but in the end people can make things work. my friends come from all over the world, from all places, some of these friends i've known for over ten years, without one single argument, if all people thought wisely, then no bullshit would happen, i'm saying we are all human in the end, people have to get over shit and realise this.

HSC
Oh lol sorry, I'm not sure if you thought I was talking to you or not, but I'm speaking more generally. At the moment (Thankfully), the people posting in this thread seem to be pretty well-adjusted and sensible, I was just making a few observations about some of the clowns earlier on.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
:D it's ok, well me too, i'm just giving examples because some people seem to think thing's wont work, because they don't see the possibility of things happening, but things do happen if you work on them, like i said in my previous post. i think we all agree on the same thing at the moment, but yeah, like you said, some previous posts set mixed ideas and don't set a clear enough message through, the main thing is, racism is a thing that is really unnecassary, it's just alot of bullcrap that people don't have to go through at all, they are hurting themselves and others for no reason at all, no matter what you are, you are human, it's about time people realised it okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :p

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
2 Dea said:
Its almost a tradition in this multicultural society to discriminate against others in some way. Whether its through openly threatening and assualting someone because of their race or whether its through generalisations, eg. all Asians are smart. Personally I think that people just need to get over it, who the fuck cares about what some Bogun/Gook/Rag-Head/Nigger/Slant-eye/Curry says? Being the result of an interracial relationship I dont fit into either community like Iwould if I was a distinct race. I get teased occasionally with stuff like "half-blood" and "mutt" but I dont care.

Its about time that people just stopped caring.
Wow half-blood iz a really offensive and derogatory term ain't it, just like the term nigger.

Movie_Guy

HSC
transcendent said:
supercharged get over your pro-asia crap or go out and do something about it instead of bitching about under-representation of asians in Australia. you don't get that Australian television is not doing so well. you don't get that Australian actors are finding it hard to make shows that people watch. why don't you in all your intellectual ability create a god damn great Australian television show that people will watch. why don't you cast asians in it as see how well it does. this isn't about representation it's about money you fucking China-arse kisser.
You're obviously not an actor because if you were, how would you feel if your asian face made it impossible for you to find work. Your race makes it impossible for you to persue the career that you love. Look, it's going to happen whether the majority likes it or not. You can only get pissed on for so long really, asian-australians will get their voice....asians pretty much get treated like the model minority....quite little submissive workers who help in running the country but aren't really taken seriously because they can't do anything else other than maths. That's our place. This is a comfortable viewpoint for most of the white majority......if asians were seen as multi-dimensional people, then it would be far too threatening. Noone wants more competition. It's like how blacks are depicted in American media.... ..all Neanderthal like ghetto thugs, who can't do anything expect dribble a basketball, run or rap. If they were potrayed as intellectual, hard-working citizens, yep, far too threatening so they never are. It's going to happen (sooner even maybe than later)....it justs takes people to speak out about it and for people to care. In western society, you have to earn eveything...noone is going to give it to you.

For example, one of Australia's finest young talents, Leonardo Nam ('The Perfect Score') who is appearing in 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' series (in a role written for a white guy as well), 'Half-Life', 'Undoing', and 'The Fast and the Furious 3', couldn't get work here:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/475/475967p1.html

-The Australian-bred actor of Korean descent is decidedly more animated than his on screen counterpart, the perpetually stoned, academic under-achiever Roy. Born in Argentina, Leo moved to Australia at the age of six and took up acting at a young age. While he got good reviews for his work, he found the options for Asian actors in Australia to be few and far between. "I had to get out of Sydney. All of the TV shows in Australia are imported from the U.S. or England and those shows that were made in Australia are all blonde-haired and blue-eyed. Of course, everyone is blonde-haired, blue-eyed in Australia, right?" Nam grins.

"I was studying with this lady and I'd go to see these producers and I'd read for them or whatever and they'd all be like, 'You're great... but we don't have anything for you.' I'd always be like the takeaway kid from the Chinese food store even though I'm Korean. Go figure. That kind of thing still happens here in the movies and stuff but at a much more extreme micro-scale. That's what Australian film and TV was like. It was before Fox moved over and The Matrix was there so I kind of had to go through my own right of passage. One day she told me, 'I've booked you an audition in New York.' Next thing I knew, I was stepping off a plane and it just felt right."-

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You're obviously not an actor because if you were, how would you feel if your asian face made it impossible for you to find work. Your race makes it impossible for you to persue the career that you love. Look, it's going to happen whether the majority likes it or not. You can only get pissed on for so long really, asian-australians will get their voice....asians pretty much get treated like the model minority....quite little submissive workers who help in running the country but aren't really taken seriously because they can't do anything else other than maths. That's our place. This is a comfortable viewpoint for most of the white majority......if asians were seen as multi-dimensional people, then it would be far too threatening. Noone wants more competition. It's like how blacks are depicted in American media.... ..all Neanderthal like ghetto thugs, who can't do anything expect dribble a basketball, run or rap. If they were potrayed as intellectual, hard-working citizens, yep, far too threatening so they never are. It's going to happen (sooner even maybe than later)....it justs takes people to speak out about it and for people to care. In western society, you have to earn eveything...noone is going to give it to you.

For example, one of Australia's finest young talents, Leonardo Nam ('The Perfect Score') who is appearing in 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' series (in a role written for a white guy as well), 'Half-Life', 'Undoing', and 'The Fast and the Furious 3', couldn't get work here:
Whatever, we have a tiny industry?

Movie_Guy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Whatever, we have a tiny industry?
That's a valid point. The problem with this is, I don't see any asian-australian characters at all....we're not asking for the whole damn cast....more like one regular character on a popular mainstream show, IF they are as talented as the rest of the cast. No affirmative action...they need to be as good as everyone else. If people are thinking that asians can't act, they may be in a for a rude shock in the next decade or so.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
So your parents aren't racist, but you claim we are all naturally racist.
Education. Choices. Individuals. I know you communists like to think everyone is exactly the same and everyone thinks the same way, but we're not, and we don't.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The problem with this is, I don't see any asian-australian characters at all....we're not asking for the whole damn cast....more like one regular character on a popular mainstream show, IF they are as talented as the rest of the cast. If people are saying that asians can't act, they may be in a for a rude shock in the next decade or so.
Well I'm sure asians can act, and act very well. Personally I do feel there are roles for asians on Australian shows, something for instance like home and away or secret life of us (I don't watch either regularily so I dunno if there are asians).

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok then can you explain what a 'race' is?
Can you tell me what the different characteristics of a different race is?

You cannot. It is a made up, invented way to differentiate between humans.
Cranial capacity, jaw shape, skin colour, muscular structure (see: why blacks and whites excel at different sports at the elite level) and arguably social tendancies (see: accomplishments of muslims vs jews per population)

gobaby said:
that doens't mean you were taught rascist ideas by other people apart from your parents. ie your friends, school, etc. Why are you rascist by the way? Can you position yourself in someone elses shoes and think what it would be like to have negative stereotypes imposed on you? Its quite hurtful, but who knows, maybe your for that sort of thing. Maybe with more experience in the world, you'll come to understand rascism in all its forms and effects.
School? Have you just passed thru the same education system as me? Anyway, what I mean by me being racist isn't, like, firebombing synagogues and such. I mean I prefer to be around other people of the same ethnicity as myself. It seems fairly natural to do so, really. Especially considering 'multiculturalism' under the current definition consists of essentially spending money to ensure new Australians don't assimilate. I don't think I've actually hurt many people's feelings really.

TerrbleSpellor said:
He has to have some way of expressing his hate of people who actually work to get somewhere in life, as opposed to those who expect to be given it all.
To whom are you referring? The white Greeks, Italians, Germans etc. who migrated in the 50's, faced discrimination from the English-descended and worked hard to get out of that situation? I have no idea what you're trying to say.

mr EaZy said:
having different cultures under one roof or country is a good thing

it helps us understand what makes us human

and it helps broaden our perspective on life itself by understanding other cultures- not just tolerating them
Did you get that straight out of a school textbook? Your 2nd sentence doesn't even mean anything. I'll tell you what does happen though, it helps divide us, cause tribalism, form ghettos and import interracial hatred (see: serbs, croats, greeks, macedonian soccer clubs).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Cranial capacity, jaw shape, skin colour, muscular structure (see: why blacks and whites excel at different sports at the elite level) and arguably social tendancies (see: accomplishments of muslims vs jews per population)
But the variation within races overlaps very strongly. Genetically there is very little that differentiates the races, such that it is near impossible to define race (given that one won't inherit equally from all grandparents it leads to even greater variation in race).

Also social tendencies could be argued quite strongly, while intelligence is mostly genetic, allowing for variations between races, the measured success (via IQ tests etc) show other correlations such as wealth. It could be the relative wealth of say Jewish people versus Muslim people that cause the differences in social tendencies.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Who cares about having Asians on crappy shows like Blue Heelers etc? Seriously "Blue Heelers" simply isn't aimed at the "intellectual elite" anyway. I wouldn't want Asian bananas disgracing Asia on bogan/surfy crap shown on TV. If you are asian, just watch korean soap operas ;) on satellite or something. The fact is that Asians are just too good for crappy white TV programs.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I'll tell you what does happen though, it helps divide us, cause tribalism, form ghettos and import interracial hatred (see: serbs, croats, greeks, macedonian soccer clubs).
No offense but I think you are full of s***. multiculturalism allows more choice and variety. There was never an imperative for humans to be "united" under a common banner towards a common goal through a common culture in any individual country. Humans interact and relate not only on a cultural basis, but also on an emotional, intellectual, physical etc. Maybe you only see the cultural/racial because you're such a racist ;) But seriously though, such conflict is caused not by cultural difference per se but by mob mentality.

Last edited:

Hanzo

HSC
i went to a primary school which consisted of 90% lebanese and 9% aussie and 1% asian

and the lebos were sickcunts

it was da aussies which called me names.. like ching chong chinaman !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)