Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gay Captain

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
It is not a one way street, but racist acts of Lebanese against Whites isn't the same as Whites against Lebanese. To deny this is to deny history has any effect on the future.

The "race riots" were a result of Lebanese male youth culture, clashing with the ideological errors and cultural errors of the White majority. This White mentality is the remnants of the colonial system, the culture and ideology were never completly destroyed. When tensions rise these two groups cause a contradiction and clash. The only way to completly stop this is the correcting of these errors.
Yeah, the Lebs only gang rape Aussie women because of our ideological and cultural errors. Like not wearing hijab? I think a village somewhere wants its idiot back.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
um can you please then explain why it is that the majority should change for the minority? I would also like to know what changes you believe would make these youths happy.

Comrade nathan

HSC
midnight_magick said:
just wanted to say: the more popular does not mean the more correct :D
He is also forgetting culture is not a permanent thing, so you can change peoples cultures. It is only in the economic base that one group will dominate another, and then the culture will follow if it is aware of the superstructure.

Yeah, the Lebs only gang rape Aussie women because of our ideological and cultural errors. Like not wearing hijab? I think a village somewhere wants its idiot back.
You have misread, or maybe i have not made myself clear. I never said that Australian ideological and cultural errors were the reason for the actions of lebanese against Australians. The Young dominate Male Lebanese culture is very chauvinist, this is cause for some rapes. So when this actions occurs the ideological and culture incorrect Australian youth clashes and can't comprehend the situation and typically blames it on the race.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
um can you please then explain why it is that the majority should change for the minority? I would also like to know what changes you believe would make these youths happy.
It is changing the majority for the sake of the majority. Unless you think it is healthy for the youth of the majority to have incorrect ideas on race and culture and you think that drunken mob rage is healthy, but then that would mean you are crazy.

It is also changing the minority too.

Last edited:

Movie_Guy

HSC
I love it how all these talks of race riots has led to references of aussies vs lebs...like those lebanese weren't Australian. They were probably just as Australian as the whites who beat them up. It's like the only way to be an Australian is if you are white. Now you know what people really think.

HSC
Movie_Guy said:
I love it how all these talks of race riots has led to references of aussies vs lebs...like those lebanese weren't Australian. They were probably just as Australian as the whites who beat them up. It's like the only way to be an Australian is if you are white. Now you know what people really think.
true. those 'lebanese' 'gangs'/ 'thugs'/ blabla are australians too. they are lebanese australians, just as the 'aussies' people talk about are anglo-aussies. but there are views that these people ( the leb australians) reject any loyalty and love for this country and reject its laws and its people and thus are only australian on paper.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Movie_Guy said:
A number of people from all ethnicities are of that opinion, unfortunately.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Movie_guy, this problem stems from racial pride on every side.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
supercharged said:
That's not a valid comparison.

Just how many homosexual vegetarian wheelchair people are there in the community? :rolleyes: If they comprised of some 10-20% of the population then I would be expecting their media representation too. This a serious topic.

Australian media portrays Australia as having zero minorites. There are heaps of asians in Australia, how come none are represented in the mainstream entertainment media?

Compared with US media you can have a comedy shows based on Italians: 'everybody loves raymond' and 'the sopranos', Jews: 'o.c', Blacks 'my wife and kids' 'cosby show' etc.

Now imagine switching on the tv in Australia and seeing a local show that portray's anything other than an anglo family or anglo setting in home and away, blue heelers etc. It doesn't happen cos the local media are a bunch of racists.
Actually, not that I'll admit to watching Blue Heelers reguarly, but I was a couch slob when I was studying for the the HSC and thus watched a lot of daytime television. Anyway, Blue Heelers is set in the Victorian country and most country towns are for the majority white.
However, there are episodes that do have ehtnic minorities in them, including muslim Lebanese. Two of the shows main characters were of ethnic descent. Nick Shultz was German and he indeed spoke it once to his father who was a German immigrant after world war 2 (he fount under Rommel). The second was that Italian or Greek bloke who used to be on Home and Away. There were probably others but I wasn't a consistent watcher, more of a lazy bastard who should have been studying.
I do recall that there is a Greek woman on Home and Away who was also on dancing with the stars.
And I can't believe that no one remembers that there was an Asian woman on Play School, probably more than one, but I can only remember one. There is an Asian man in the Wiggles too. And there was that mini-series filmed in Singleton about a white boy and a muslim girl (never saw it myself). And as for other minorities, who can forget the lesbians on playschool, it created a bit of a fiasco.
And what of SBS, a channel devoted almost entirely to foreign programs or languages.
These are just some of the examples from the top of my head. If you think hard or looked into it you'd probably find more examples of minorities in Australian television.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
sparkl3z said:
if u wanna see asian tv just get satellite tv, i'm not even asian and i have asian tv, the main thing is everything is actually avaliable to everyone after they want it, it's just that they shouldnt go around making a big deal or disturbing other so called 'ethnic' or 'australian' people, we all fuckin live here so therefore we should all have respect for eachother, on this point at least, if nobody want's to live here in peace they should all resign from their citizenship, wether they are from an ethnic background or wether they are purely australian or wether they are aboriginal, our nationality is AUSTRALIAN peoples, therfore we should all be australian together, how do people think australia will ever be strong if nobody living here actually unites?
Cynically speaking, now would be the time for Australia to be attacked by another country or for a major disaster to see if that would unite the people of this country. Terrorism is not an acceptable distaster though because it will have a splintering effect.
It's said people only show their true colours under pressure.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
do u think this little cronulla incident could maybe spark terrorist strikes on australian soil?? that would be horrible,... we have to somehow maintain this country's success for multiculturalism

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Vangineer said:
do u think this little cronulla incident could maybe spark terrorist strikes on australian soil?? that would be horrible,... we have to somehow maintain this country's success for multiculturalism
No, but then again that is a possibility. I was being a cynic in thinking that if something happened that bought us all together then it would be a good thing, but there was no good way to achieve it in the short term. Of course, for all I know, Australia wuld just descend into chaos.

What I am suggesting is that it takes pressure for a society to show it's true colours. Racism may be beneath the surface, but perhaps there is something beneath racism?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
No, but then again that is a possibility. I was being a cynic in thinking that if something happened that bought us all together then it would be a good thing, but there was no good way to achieve it in the short term. Of course, for all I know, Australia wuld just descend into chaos.

What I am suggesting is that it takes pressure for a society to show it's true colours. Racism may be beneath the surface, but perhaps there is something beneath racism?
the only other thing that can make things worse is a civil war or gang wars.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
From what i've been hearing (probably all hype) I would say the gangs are getting involved in this, seriously, settling some long-standing disputes against each other, that have nothing to do with the lifesavers or whatever.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
From what i've been hearing (probably all hype) I would say the gangs are getting involved in this, seriously, settling some long-standing disputes against each other, that have nothing to do with the lifesavers or whatever.
took you a while to figure out that the lifeguards are no longer a catalyst.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No fool, the lifeguard bashing was definately a catalyst that caused people who were fed up with lebanese gangs to come out and stand up for themselves. Now there are gangs with motives that have absolutely nothing to do with this involved.

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i live in a country area and its generally pretty accepting, but just recently, there's a group of girls that i see whenever i'm in town who i don't even know, but they like to bag me out for being asian.
e.g. last week, i was with another friend whos asian, and they were like "oooh chinese people" so they came up to us, pushed and shoved us around and chucked lottery tickets all over us. and then all day they just followed us to trip us over and just shove us. i always see them at mcdonalds where all my mates work and theyre always laughing and saying stuff about me behind my back.
the sms's about riots occuring have been around as well, so im pretty scared of going into town alone these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)