Ramadan 1428 (1 Viewer)

aLIS

HSC
Hey everybody!

Just wanna wish all the muslims out there a blessed month of ramadan!

RAMADAN MUBARAK! :)

Tomorrow is the day we all begin fasting iA. From approx. 4.22 am to 5.46pm (DawN to sunset)
It is exciting!

If anyone wants to ask questions about ramadan feel free to ask them here.

ps. keep any intolerant/disrespectful comments to yourself

tc

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Interesting...im not muslim i was just intrigued as to what Ramadan actually celebrates? And is '1428' the year of th emuslim calender?

aLIS

HSC
Interesting...im not muslim i was just intrigued as to what Ramadan actually celebrates?
cool, first question!
Ramadan is the name of the 9th Islamic lunar month; it is a month of worship (duty) rather than celebration.. the celebration comes in the end of ramadan ie. Eid. Allah (The 1 God), ordered the Muslims to fast since it was the month He revealed the Qur'an (the Muslims' holy scripture) to Muhammad (the final Prophet of Allah).
Ramadan is a month of blessing that includes prayer, fasting and charity. Fasting is one of the five pillars or duties of Islam; therefore it is mandatory.
It is an opportunity for spiritual as well as physical purification as we are able to reflect upon the poor and famine, reflect upon our own flaws and attempt to perfect them and get closer to our creator.

And is '1428' the year of the muslim calender?
yep '1428' is the year of the islamic calendar (aka hijrah year)

ps. asking questions = steps away from ignorance ;)

TC

Last edited:

aLIS

HSC
Hows hsc studying going?
It has been dificult getting into study mode after trials. However iA i am trying to prioritise and work out the best times to study during ramadan yet not neglect ibada eg. reading quran. I have worked out that studying would be best after suhoor (small meal taken before dawn).

does every muslim have to fast?
Fasting is obligated on Muslims who have reached puberty, are sane and are healthy. So yes, every muslim MUST fast except those who have not reached puberty, are insane or very sick < they are not obliged but still can try.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
aLIS said:
Fasting is obligated on Muslims who have reached puberty, are sane and are healthy. So yes, every muslim MUST fast except those who have not reached puberty, are insane or very sick < they are not obliged but still can try.
...or those who just choose not to right?

'obligated' just means you are meant to do it, it doesn't mean you have to... it's like christians being obligated to go to church.

You can go ahead and tell me that every sane and healthy muslims does it if you want but I will not believe you.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I'm Muslim and i don't fast. We don't have to do it, you should do it since it's a part of the religion. Personally i like my food, :) especially when im studying. I'm not religious myself so i guess this kind of stuff doesn't mean much to me. Religion is another way to control people.

Happy Fasting everyone! :D

Last edited:

aLIS

HSC
You can go ahead and tell me that every sane and healthy muslims does it if you want but I will not believe you.
Yes i can tell you that.. but i wont believe myself either as tanjin has proven so. I should have said "compulsory/mandatory" instead of obligatory because truly thats how crucial it is.

As i mentioned before fasting is part of the '5 pillars of islam'. You can view the 5 pillars of islam as a building :

-1. The testimony of faith
-2. establishment of 5 prayers
-3. give support to the needy (charity = zakat)
-4. fasting the month of Ramdan
-5. Pilgrimage to Makkah (for those who are physically and financially able to perform it.)

so if one of those building blocks are missed or unestablished, the building collapses. And you know what the building represents. Thats how important it is to fast ramadan.

Religion is another way to control people.
or alternately religion is a way to control yourself. ie. upholding your desires eg. food in the motnh of ramadan.

I see ramadan as an excellent time to empathise with the starving people; and they like their food too but can hardly ever have it.. whereas fasting is only for about 14 hours per day.

Happy Fasting everyone! :D
thanx u 2 :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
aLIS said:
or alternately religion is a way to control yourself. ie. upholding your desires eg. food in the motnh of ramadan.
No it's not. You are doing what you are told. That is the opposite of controlling yourself.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Maybe we should just sponsor the starving people :) and provide them with proper food and care. I don't think we need to fast to be able empathize with the poor - i imagine that they'd be feeling quite shit for most of the time themselves. I have empathy for the poor just by thinking about it.

But I've noticed that certain people feel and appear happier when they're fasting...so fast away! :)

aLIS

HSC
^^ no you cant

No it's not. You are doing what you are told. That is the opposite of controlling yourself.
Notice the 'or' . The two are not mutually exclusive. You are controlling yourself by doing what you are told. If a person has no control over self.. they will find it difficult to do what they are told.
Thats why those who are fasting get rewards; for being able to have control overself for Allah's sake.

Maybe we should just sponsor the starving people and provide them with proper food and care. I don't think we need to fast to be able empathize with the poor
there are many charities out their sponsoring, no? no we dont NEED to fast to empathise. We dont fast simply to empathise but rather to fulfill the obligations, earn rewards, etc. The empathy is a bonus! :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
aLIS said:
Notice the 'or' . The two are not mutually exclusive. You are controlling yourself by doing what you are told. If a person has no control over self.. they will find it difficult to do what they are told.
That doesn't make any sense. By doing what you are told you are by definition not controlling yourself, someone or something else is controlling you.

You don't need a whole lot of self control to do what you are told. I can teach a dog to do what its told.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks you too. I love it when ramadan comes every year things seem more special.

aLIS

HSC
^^ so true. The ramadan spirit and atmosphere is beautiful!

That doesn't make any sense. By doing what you are told you are by definition not controlling yourself, someone or something else is controlling you.
You don't need a whole lot of self control to do what you are told. I can teach a dog to do what its told.
Ok so more than half of the world likes to be controlled by someone else. Islam is the worlds 2nd largest religions followed by christianity; and hence are controlled by someone other than themselves -God-. whats the big deal? :)

Anyways, so the month of Ramadan is not easily fasted by all; as some have lack of self-control and others not. In the month of ramadan a muslim must abstain from food, drink and sensual pleasures from the break of dawn until sunset throughout the whole month. One is able to test their strength judging from their durability and sbmission.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
aLIS said:
Ok so more than half of the world likes to be controlled by someone else.
Yes.

aLIS said:
Islam is the worlds 2nd largest religions followed by christianity; and hence are controlled by someone other than themselves -God-.
"Everyone else does it" is not a valid excuse for stupidity.

aLIS said:
whats the big deal? :)
It's not a big deal... I don't care what you do... just don't try and make it out like you are in control of your own life because you are clearly not.

aLIS

HSC
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Ok iamsikofyr12 i understand where your coming from; but ofcourse dont agree with you. I am guessing you're an atheist as many choose to follow atheism as they "dont want to be controlled by an unseen".
I think this discussion should end here or be taken to another thread where thing could be cleared up, as this is a 'ramadan' thread.

Before ending i just want to clearly point out to you that although we follow the rules of God, its doesnt mean we are living this life blindly, but yes we do also and must control ourselves. how do i control myself:

- firstly, I chose to follow the way of life of islam

- I choose to make the hereafter my main concern rather than this transcient inevitably ending life.

- It is most definately not stupidity. As I and many others who have embraced this complete religion have either tried atheism, christianity, buddhism, judaism etc before or deeply researched each religion to see which stands out in truth. We controlled ourselves by evaluating each religion and deciding which way we want to control our own lives. i accepted islam as it is the only religion that stood out as pure, flawless, perfect and truly divine.

- and most definately the "everyone else does it" approach does NOT apply here at all. If i do what everyone else does... i would most probably not be a practising muslim (remember there are practising and not practising in every religion). Some aspect of the religion need strength and if i was not controlling myself i would choose escape and simply 'not do it' like some others. those who have lack of self-control yet follow their own desires would most likely not fast, not pray, not give charity etc. And im generalising here, but most of the times their lives are out of order.. as they are presumedly "controlling themselves"

This is an issue with many angles, perspectives etc. Just a reminder to remain patient
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)