Rational/Scientific humanism (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
can someone elaborate on the difference between the two? [rational & scientific humanism]

my textbook doesnt' explain it very well :S

cheers :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
-pari- said:
can someone elaborate on the difference between the two? [rational & scientific humanism]

wow...R & NR so soon....interesting

Assume you know what humaism is and that there are many types (see http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism1.htm for a small list)

rational also known as secular humanism-humanity is the measure of all things, not quite atheism/agnosticism (despite what they think!!) but rather that an emphasis on the humanity/human face....we are responsible, not God

scientific also known as ethical humanism-emphasis on scientific method fpr solving humanities problems. Rejects the notion that science can answer everything but empahisises that science can solve majority of earths problems

hope this helps...its such a big area that is gioven little room in the syllabus as such so I wouldnt stress too much about it as you only have to
• outline the positions of:
– Rational Humanism
– Scientific Humanism
HTH

-pari-

HSC
N/A
wow...R & NR so soon....interesting
yea...we're obviously jumping around the syllabus a bit lol

yea those are the ideas i kinda got in the textbook....but it really confused me since it wasn't the same as what i was reading in other handouts i'd got + the net etc

"rational" humanism was harder since i couldn't find it on the net...

n yeah i know it's got a real small part in the syllabus, but i think i'm quite confuddled, so if u could take a glimpse through my interpretation that'd be great :)

------
rational

i kinda got the impression that what it was trying to say that this was the humanism that initially developed, and so at that stage in history God was a dominant part of society.
so this initial form of humanism didn't totally refute God, just associated a less active role with God and emphasised the human capacity to solve problems ladeeda

so i classified this as "religious" or "ethical" humanism, coz from what i was reading...you had ethical culture ( the one that started with the felix adler dude or whatever) and that was kinda humanistic in that it was "functionally" religious & from this emerged religious humanism.

& i thought those characteristics fit rational humanism...
coz i couldn't see how rational humanism could be "secular" if it didn't entirley refute the concept of God......

--- or wait.....it was that [above interpreation ]OR :
....they did reject the supernatural and transcendant but that this was viewed by some "followers" as a sort of functionally religious thing that provided guidance etc
like a "religion" of humanity

so ..i kinda related it more to the ethical humanism than the secular humanism

am i confused, or am i confused?

so then i thought well Scientific humanism is "secular" because it totally rejects anything of the transcendant dimension.....

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
yeah, its confusing.

I had not come across the terms either (used to secular and ethical) but that is how they were defined at an inservice I went to.

Whats more annoying is that it doesnt really say what "positions" you are supposed to analyse as such (in the point I mean).
Im guessing its refering to fulfilment as thats mentioned in the learn about column but thats so broad (esp. in the light of "non-religion")

srourp

HSC
Rational: focuses on the value of human life and elevates human reason as the highest from of authrity.
Scientific: based on the view that science, rather than human reason, is the ultimate authority

lanamohd

HSC

Humanism is the belief that since there is no evidence which supports the existence of a supernatural being then this life and world are all that matter.
i.e. - Live fully, happy lives and making it easier for others to do some as well
- Control over own destiny

Rational Humanism is human progress through logical thought being utilised to better the quality of human life for humankind.
i.e. Supports use of reason, compassion, equality, morality and ethics to build a better world.

Scientific Humanism stresses on science and technology to address issues of poverty, environmental degradation , social inequalities and other global issues.

Get it? Or did I confuse you even more?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)