Raw band cut-offs. (Updated: 15/09/04) (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
matt_f64 said:
ok im starting to understand!!! so if my exam marks for all my subjects were say 70, and they were all on the same scaling level as physics, then my aligned mark would actually be say 85 (i dont no exactly but u get the point) and then my scaled mark for the UAI would be say 78 or somethin.???
cos most of my subjects get scaled up... physics, economics, adv eng, 2uMaths... and im looking at gettin into the low 80s for all my subjects, so wud that mean my aligned marks would all be closer to the 90s, and i can put aligned marks closer to the 90s in SAM ?
Even if your courses have similar scaling, they might have very different aligning. You can't just make this assumption. You need to estimate your aligned marks using the same methods as the HSC markers - specifically, the Board's standards packages.

Techie said:
So does SAM take the aligned mark for a year, work out what the raw mark would have been, and then apply scaling to figure out your UAI? (If that's not a trade secret)
That's the process that would be followed if all of the relevant information was available and we wanted to calculate UAIs exactly. In reality, no data concerning raw marks is published (except for the few exceptions where individual students have applied for their marks). SAM therefore skips the intermediate step in that process and attemps to estimate scaled marks directly from aligned marks using statistics published by the UAC. This is the best that can be done at the moment.

googleplex said:
so did you just assume 100 in those subjects went to 100, or did someone you know get 100 raw ? D:
The Board has stated that a raw mark of 100% always equates to an aligned mark of 100%, and a raw mark of 0 always equates to an aligned mark of 0.

Lorie

HSC
what kind of raw mark do you think i'll need for a band 6 in IPT???

Where can i find any stats from previous years about it??

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
altho there are no ipt ones no... the board of studies is gay and doesnt release that kind of information... it cud cause an uproar if there was found to be corruption or somethin within the board (giving out dodgy marks to students) :p

Lorie

HSC
thats shocking hey, they should show all raw marks required for each band for every subject.

Can anyone give me an estinmate on what raw mark i'd need to get a band 6 in IPT

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
yeah but each year the raw marks change depending on the difficulty of the test, in 2002 u mite hav needed a 80+ to get band 6 in 2 unit maths, but in 2003 the test was far more difficult (it was in the media about how it was far harder etc) so u may have only needed a 75+.... but it wud be good if they gave stats for each year cos surely u can get an estimate....

and ipt well i hav bugger all knowledge on the subject, probably 80+ if its an easy subject then maybe more.. but dont quote me on it :O

Lorie

HSC
ok cool thanks for that, just need a target to work for hey. The exam is on when the melbourne cup is on, what a bugger..............damn board of studies.........you'll get urs. So about an 80+, thats an achievable target, should be ok, maybe an 80 in maths might be a bit outta reach for me..........haha........lets say alot outta reach.

impulse_17

HSC
why are raw marks determined to 1 dec. pl.?
like in the 2003 maths, someone got 65.7/120? How do you get 65.7 and not 65 or 66 or even 65.5?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
impulse_17 said:
why are raw marks determined to 1 dec. pl.?
like in the 2003 maths, someone got 65.7/120? How do you get 65.7 and not 65 or 66 or even 65.5?
There are two types of 'raw' marks: raw examination marks and moderated assessment marks. Strictly speaking, this second one isn't a raw mark, because it's been moderated. But because the moderating process places assessment marks on the same scale as the raw examination marks, they can be viewed in the same light. Moderated assessment marks are calculated to one decimal place, which is where the floating point numbers came from.

The same raw band cut-offs are used to align both raw examination marks and moderated assessment marks.

All examination marks are integers though.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Lazarus said:
Unfortunately, no.

The above post will be updated with additional statistics if/when they become available.

how would one go about getting our raw marks from the BOS?

morgue

Ok I'm a little confused...Do we ever know our raw mark (the mark we got in the actually HSC)? Or is it written when we get our HSC marks back?

Also I have scenario: Say I got around the 50 per cent mark in all my school assessments for Mathematics. Then I get to the HSC and only get 38% and the rest of my class either get around the same mark as I did or they get even lower marks. Does this HSC exam mark get scaled or something? If so, does it increase or decrease?

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
u never know ur raw mark for exam no.

and using ur scenario... u wud probly get a moderated assessment mark of around 38% (cos ur school marks assessments too easy compared to hsc exam) and ur exam raw mark of 38% will get scaled according to how well that subject gets scaled..
in other words it is best that u do better in the exams and hope ur class does too!

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
morgue said:
Ok I'm a little confused...Do we ever know our raw mark (the mark we got in the actually HSC)? Or is it written when we get our HSC marks back?

Also I have scenario: Say I got around the 50 per cent mark in all my school assessments for Mathematics. Then I get to the HSC and only get 38% and the rest of my class either get around the same mark as I did or they get even lower marks. Does this HSC exam mark get scaled or something? If so, does it increase or decrease?

The only way to find out you raw marks is to sue the BOS under the Freedom of Information Act, in other words it's not easy.

In response to your scenario; you get your HSC Examination mark based on your performance in the exam, independent of your school's and classmate's performance. Your internal assesement mark is moderated based on your and your classes' performance in the exam. This is to ensure that a teacher cannot gain their class an advantage by setting easier assesments or vice versa; a class is not disadvantaged by receiving harder assesments.

For example; a class averages 50% in their internal assesments, then averages 70% in their exams, the class assesment marks will be moderated so that the average of the assesment marks is equal to the average of the exam marks, ie. 70%

I hope I got that correct

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Cactus said:
The only way to find out you raw marks is to sue the BOS under the Freedom of Information Act, in other words it's not easy.
Technically, you're not 'suing' the Board - they haven't done anything wrong.

The FOI Act just gives you the right to apply for information that is held about you. :)

Cactus said:
how would one go about getting our raw marks from the BOS?
It's really quite easy. The Board has provided a form that can simply be filled out and sent in:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/foi_application.html

You'll want to request your "raw examination marks (total weighted marks) and initial moderated assessment marks". Include your student number to make it easier for them.

You can also try to request a 'per module' breakdown of your marks, but that hasn't been done before, so there's no guarantee it will succeed. It won't stop the rest of your application from succeeding though.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
cool thanks. Maybe we should find things to sue them for while we're at it

pitted

HSC
N/A
hey laz - you so rock!

although i dont know if i want to get my raw marks back....lets just see what my UAI is first.

ciao

Alain

slivering87
HSC
N/A
I hvae NO IDEA about what the hell alligned marks are in comparison with raw marks and how the hwole thing works....can someone help me out. I do Adv English, general maths, Eco, Business STudies, Modern History and Studies of Religion 1 unit

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
OK, lets use English as an example. You sit the 2 exam papers (Journeys and Modules), and your final mark is say 80/105 raw. The Board of Studies then looks at the paper and rates how difficult it was, and aligns the marks accordingly, so your 80/105 raw might go up to 90/100 aligned. The aligned mark is the mark you receive on your HSC.

The people on here are asking what their raw marks will be aligned to, to help them estimate how their UAI will turn out. However this is difficult to do because the aligning profile changes each year based on the difficulty of the paper, however we can use the raw marks from previous years to estimate. Another difficulty is that the BOS reluctantly releases the raw marks information, so there is very little data to go by.

Hope this answered your question, if u have anything else to ask please do

Last edited:

aditya

HSC
i was going to ask for my raw marks, but now im not too sure :$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)