Raw mark range out of 105 translating to a band 5? (1 Viewer)

themanman

HSC
N/A
pretty sure the last time I checked my raw mark sheet!
I got 14/15, 14/15, 15/15 and then for paper 2 -- 19/20, 20/20, 19/20
wow
maybe ur internals were a bit lower so they averaged them out

101/105 is definitely a 99 or 98 at lowest

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
wow

I reckon scaling/aligning in 2010 was different to 2009...

yes, I had a pretty pathetic internal mark - one of those assessments which just drag you down and you can never catch up after!

All the best though - remember with English keep showing the examiner you're answering the question - THAT's WHAT THEY WANT... every possible moment use the WORDS of the question..as they see this they go "OK - this kid knows what he is doing"

enoilgam

HSC
wow

Aligning standards can vary from year to year. Thats why you shouldnt rely on previous cutoffs.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
From what my teacher said, 82/105 is a band 6 depending on your electives. I would imagine 60ish/105 would be a band 5.

Last edited:
HSC
hey i got an overall in my internal of 80/100, and in cssa trials i got the following: 12/15 12/15 14/15 19/20 18/20 15/20 (all externally marked by people from eta and stuff), and my school rank is in the 120ish, we've got a strongish cohort, anyone know what i can expect to get as hsc mark? cause im worried about English :'(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But dont forget, paper one counts for 40% and paper two counts for 60%.
Fair point. But I lost more marks in Paper 2 than I did in Paper 1 (I lost 1 mark in Paper 1, Section 1, and lost 3 marks for Module C).

themanman

HSC
N/A
I guess, the whole aligning thing takes into account the different text you study as well :)
you said u were pulled down by ur internal :/

and wow.. what do u need for a 99?

aerath did u end up getting a state rank? and what was it?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No state rank, because my internal was 93.

snagrit

HSC
This thread has made me alot more confident. I was thinkin a 80ish/105 would have ranked like less then 80...I feel alot better xD

themanman

HSC
N/A
This would've made more of a difference than anything else.
they don't take that into consideration

it's the schools choice. why would they align differently? is one course harder than the other?
if so, why would they implement different levels of difficulty?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
they don't take that into consideration
Yeah they do, buddy. It's the same with every subject that has options.

it's the schools choice. why would they align differently? is one course harder than the other?
if so, why would they implement different levels of difficulty?
It actually says that it's the student's choice in the syllabus and you really can choose your own if you want. Some texts are supposed to be harder to understand than others and some options in other subjects can be harder (all texts seems the same to me).
They don't mean to, that's why they align it to try and make it fair.

engie_benji

HSC
this thread has seriously made my day, i have been busting my ass for english, learning essays, doing practice responses trying for a band 5, but if a raw of mid 60's is gunna get it for me then fingers cross i should get it easily. :D thankyou

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
this thread has seriously made my day, i have been busting my ass for english, learning essays, doing practice responses trying for a band 5, but if a raw of mid 60's is gunna get it for me then fingers cross i should get it easily. :D thankyou
That's good. :) But yeah, don't get complacent - continue to study as you normally would. :)

michaeljennings

HSC
I think hsc marking standards would be much harder than some people are used to at their schools.
Since teachers had access to average raw marks for hsc exams from last year, the results had everyone pretty freaked out.

Our school average for one of the modules was ~13/20, and the state average was ~9/20.

Even though our school still did really well (~70% got band 6), i think you guys might be underestimating how hard it is to actually get raw marks in the 80s, so definitely don't get complacent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)