Raw Marks.... (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
On average, what raw mark is needed for 90 aligned hsc mark in Physics? And what raw mark is needed for 95 aligned hsc mark? And also, out of curiosity, how bout for like 98 aligned?

Thanks!

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Hey man, from a (slightly outdated) raw mark database, I would guess about 75-80 raw mark for a 90 aligned mark in physics. For 95, about 87. 98 probably low 90s somewhere.

mreditor16

HSC
Hey man, from a (slightly outdated) raw mark database, I would guess about 75-80 raw mark for a 90 aligned mark in physics. For 95, about 87. 98 probably low 90s somewhere.
Really? Those seem quite low. Let's see what others say as well.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
First of all it depends on the year.

Second of all we can't predict your HSC mark. All we can predict is the aligned exam mark from the raw mark....

Kurosaki is in a rough good ballpark for pre 2013 papers.

However I got 86 raw in 2013 paper for a 92 exam mark. 2013 paper was a really easy paper and the B6 cut-off was 83 raw.

For a 95 last year, you would have needed about 90 raw.

However in most other years, for a B6 its almost always been in the range of 70-80.

You'd be surprised how many people think its easy but they actually miss out due to wording and answer structure. An important component of Physics is to do past papers and marking according to the standards set in marking guidelines. That way you know what to expect and how to fix up your answering techniques.

I only got 14/20 in multiple choice hahaha

If I had gotten something like 18/20 I would have ended up with close to 95.

I also think last year to state rank you needed a 97-98 raw mark which is insanely high.

In 2012 I think you could get away with a 92-93 for a state rank.

mreditor16

HSC
First of all it depends on the year.

Second of all we can't predict your HSC mark. All we can predict is the aligned exam mark from the raw mark....

Kurosaki is in a rough good ballpark for pre 2013 papers.

However I got 86 raw in 2013 paper for a 92 exam mark. 2013 paper was a really easy paper and the B6 cut-off was 83 raw.

For a 95 last year, you would have needed about 90 raw.

However in most other years, for a B6 its almost always been in the range of 70-80.

You'd be surprised how many people think its easy but they actually miss out due to wording and answer structure. An important component of Physics is to do past papers and marking according to the standards set in marking guidelines. That way you know what to expect and how to fix up your answering techniques.

I only got 14/20 in multiple choice hahaha

If I had gotten something like 18/20 I would have ended up with close to 95.

I also think last year to state rank you needed a 97-98 raw mark which is insanely high.

In 2012 I think you could get away with a 92-93 for a state rank.
THANKS SO MUCH, anom. Makes a lot of sense.

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
From the raw marks people bought last year when results came out. 92 Raw -> 95. 94->96. 98->99 (state rank)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You probably need 50% raw to get an 80 - and it's not that hard to get 50%. It's really only hard to pick up marks once you get past 75 or so.

D94

HSC
N/A
Wait so if 75-80 will equate to a 90, doesn't that sort of mean that they're expecting a significant portion of the cohort to get less than 50%? That's so strange
You should realise HSC marking is almost always different to marking in school. You might think you are getting 90% marks are school, when in reality and comparison to the state and HSC standards, your marks are really 80%'s. There are also no half marks, which seem to make up several marks for students at school.

Also, there's no reason why they would be expecting a lot of below 50% scores. The marks/% to Bands are definitely not linear. It's possible that 75% goes to 90, whereas 70% goes to 80, then a 50% goes to 70 - it all depends on the standards set by the HSC judges.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
You should realise HSC marking is almost always different to marking in school. You might think you are getting 90% marks are school, when in reality and comparison to the state and HSC standards, your marks are really 80%'s. There are also no half marks, which seem to make up several marks for students at school.

Also, there's no reason why they would be expecting a lot of below 50% scores. The marks/% to Bands are definitely not linear. It's possible that 75% goes to 90, whereas 70% goes to 80, then a 50% goes to 70 - it all depends on the standards set by the HSC judges.
Wait I heard they attempted to give you marks where they could but schools need to differentiate students so I heard they mark more strict. Half marks?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait I heard they attempted to give you marks where they could but schools need to differentiate students so I heard they mark more strict. Half marks?
Even if they attempt to give you marks, they can't give marks if you don't answer the marking guidelines properly, and it's the marking guidelines that are extremely strict.

In physics marking, if you make a single mistake in your writing (misconception etc), you can lose 5 marks straight up.

photastic

HSC
Yes they do give half marks in the HSC, but in terms of whether school or the HSC is more strict in terms of marking, this is hard to tell but, you can compare the marking criterias. I know with my school, you would sometimes lose a mark for not writing some formula whereas for the HSC, you got away without it.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Yes they do give half marks in the HSC, but in terms of whether school or the HSC is more strict in terms of marking, this is hard to tell but, you can compare the marking criterias. I know with my school, you would sometimes lose a mark for not writing some formula whereas for the HSC, you got away without it.
Completely wrong brah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)