Raw score that equals band 5 or 6 (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
Pipping in to state the obvious that advanced scales all the way to 100 but standard only about to 96
So if you NEED 96+ then advanced is the way to go =P

I wonder what would have happened if i did standard.. haha

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
Pipping in to state the obvious that advanced scales all the way to 100 but standard only about to 96
So if you NEED 96+ then advanced is the way to go =P

I wonder what would have happened if i did standard.. haha
That's because the 100 scaled in Advanced is pretty much almost full marks raw, whereas a 96 in Standard leads to a similar scaled mark as 96 in Advanced implying that the top raw mark in Standard was not almost full marks. This is dependent on the performance of the top student, and it is certainly possible to attain full marks or close to it in Standard, it's just that no-one within the cohort was good enough to achieve it yet...(anyone capable of it would most likely be taking Advanced or even Extension)

Expect the top mark for Standard to be even higher for 2009...:p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Trebla said:
That's because the 100 scaled in Advanced is pretty much almost full marks raw, whereas a 96 in Standard leads to a similar scaled mark as 96 in Advanced implying that the top raw mark in Standard was not almost full marks. This is dependent on the performance of the top student, and it is certainly possible to attain full marks or close to it in Standard, it's just that no-one within the cohort was good enough to achieve it yet...(anyone capable of it would most likely be taking Advanced or even Extension)
I agree - Standard isn't capped - we all know that they're combined and scaled as a single course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
I agree - Standard isn't capped - we all know that they're combined and scaled as a single course.
But still, isnt' it capped? I mean even if you get 100 in Standard, you are only first in that English (Standard) course...

And since the people in English (Standard) course are not of high calibre, don't you only get some capped scaled mark?

(I am assuming that the top scaled mark is determined by the combining academic calibre of the students in that particular course)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you get a raw mark of 100% in Standard, you will be at the top of the combined Standard/Advanced candidature (possibly equal first but nevertheless still at the top) and you are accordingly guaranteed to get the top scaled mark.

The maximum possible scaled mark for the combined Standard/Advanced candidature is always 50.0.

While being ranked first in Standard isn't the same as being ranked first in Advanced, getting a raw mark of 100% in Standard is the same as getting a raw mark of 100% in Advanced.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
If you get a raw mark of 100% in Standard, you will be at the top of the combined Standard/Advanced candidature (possibly equal first but nevertheless still at the top) and you are accordingly guaranteed to get the top scaled mark.

The maximum possible scaled mark for the combined Standard/Advanced candidature is always 50.0.

While being ranked first in Standard isn't the same as being ranked first in Advanced, getting a raw mark of 100% in Standard is the same as getting a raw mark of 100% in Advanced.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks!

shady145

Banned
HSC
o this has cleared up alot of crap coming from my school.
the advanced english teacher said it is impossible to get a band 6.atleast for any1 at my school. i hope to prove her wrong.
also heaps of advanced students keep saying advanced scales so much better than standard, and to get a band 6 in standard english u need a mark of 98+
i told em it was a load of crap but they dnt belive me lol. awell we will c when it comes to the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)